Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
seeblue

Need furniture layout options for my narrow livingroom please

seeblue
10 years ago
I have just purchased new livingroom furniture and really need suggestions on how to arrange the furniture to accomdate both the watching of T.V. as well as a conversation area. The room is 22' long and 13 'wide with no focal point.I am really at a loss my old furniture was a large brown sofa and loveseat so I tried to change it up a bit by purchasing the two chairs,i really hope I didn't make a mistake by purchasing the chairs.I am going to replace the curtains and large cabinet that holds the T.V.Really looking to lighten and brighten things up.

Comments (102)

• Nancy Travisinteriors
    10 years ago
    Can you remove the arch on top of armoire. Looks so country. Not really your style now. Or just sell on Craig list. Add a big plant there instead. Keep things simple. Uncluttered.
  • PRO
    Maguire
    10 years ago
    last modified: 10 years ago
    I like the small square table by the chairs and that it's the only square table, breaks up all the round tables. I usually hate blocking a pretty window with a sofa but the last picture you posted seems as though the room flows better. Does it feel more spacious when you're standing in it? I like the console against the wall too. The RH feel of it and it works with your new coffee tables similar legs. I'm wondering if you can get one more pillow or a throw in the yellow, red or cream to drape over the arm of the chair.
    I love your armoire and hope you can find a spot for it in a corner. Such a pretty piece.
    seeblue thanked Maguire
  • Nancy Travisinteriors
    10 years ago
    I'm confused what is on wall behind media? Is that media staying?. If so add some plant on each side and maybe some zebra ottoman square small under it. It's small for that wall.
  • Nancy Travisinteriors
    10 years ago
    Also everything has to go towards dining area, to pushed towards wall. Sofa too. use your room. You have enough room to walk.
  • Nancy Travisinteriors
    10 years ago
    Just read yr post about fabric behind table. Return use color, like I said, no brown tones of any kind. Won't brighten your room. Only bright colors can do that. Are you not putting TV there?? Cab looks like reclaimed wood. Restoration look always good. Don't paint it.
  • Nancy Travisinteriors
    10 years ago
    Let your husband have the 55" TV. Believe me will make this room. After all it's a TV room enjoy it. TV are a fashion statement now. People don't try to hide them anymore. You will learn to love it.
  • Nancy Travisinteriors
    10 years ago
    Don't try to put anything on wall where TV is.
  • Nancy Travisinteriors
    10 years ago
    If losing armoire, (I wish you would)Add your sticks on those walls with a plant tall in center. I like the texture they bring in.
  • seeblue
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Hi Everyone,

It's been a bit since i have posted on my room,I have been busy reading all the discussions and
    trying to learn as much as I can.I wanted to post a quick update in regards to the progress I have
    made so far.First off I have finished my drapes which now go from floor to ceiling(it took forever to cut and hem them and to find a track that would cover that wood cornice thing),the tv has arrived
    and I have made my first attemp at sewing some pillows for my couch.The room is improving but
    if anyone could give me any feed back on lamps,art and maybe a different rug that would be great.
    Also I have purchased two little stools for under the console and I have recovered one but am not
    sure if I should just leave them the red colour.I also thought that I would recover my diningroom
    chairs in the same fabric.What do you all think?
  • vjs12
    10 years ago
    The furniture and colors look very nice. I would change a few things: put the armoire flat against the wall. It is blocking the drapes. Put the two chairs straight with the end table in the middle of them. It will give more room to walk thru. Good job!
    seeblue thanked vjs12
  • inna1975
    10 years ago
    The room looks great.I agree that armoire has to be agains the wall.I would push the whole arrangement little closer to the tv wall and turn the armchairs at 90 degrees with a side table in between .It will open up the entrance to the room.Otherwise,you are done!Congratulations:)
    seeblue thanked inna1975
  • seeblue
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    So I tried both arrangements and put the armoire flat against the wall.Thoughts....
  • User
    10 years ago
    Love to hear you are sewing for your home, congratulations.
    seeblue thanked User
  • Mark
    10 years ago
    Love the chairs across from the sofa. The armoire looks very nice against the wall. Just move the armoire over a bit away from the curtains towards the doorway.
    seeblue thanked Mark
  • Carolina
    10 years ago
    I'm always slightly jealous of people who can sew. I can't get a good relationship going with my sewing machine :-) Both of the last layouts I like. And I agree with Mark that the armoire could do with a little push to the right.

Do you have a socket near the armoire? Maybe you could put a little light on the top of it? Something like under cabinet lighting for the kitchen, but then just placed on top of the armoire. You could try it out with a torch light or something. See how it looks.

I prefer the recovered stool. The red looks nice with the rug, but the other one is brighter and obviously ties in better with the sofa pillows. Your room is starting to look gorgeous!
    seeblue thanked Carolina
  • inkwitch
    10 years ago
    It looked like you had enough advice on everything, so I haven't chimed in with anything. I will say I miss the red pillows which picked up the rug color. If you're going to keep the rug (which I love), touches of red will make it look like it belongs.

You've learned one secret: rearrange the furniture until you find something that works! However, it did occur to me that traffic would be hard with the chairs backed up to the dining area. Love the coffee tables, love that you were able to use the round pedestal table I saw in an ealier photo. It all looks great.

Actually, the arrangement that seemed most functional and balanced was the two chairs at one end (in front of the armoir -- which I'm glad to see you took out of the corner) with the little "aside" chair. And you got over shoving the furniture against the walls! Think arm's length to pass a plate of cookies or intimate conversation.

Couple of points came to mind that you may have solved:
    1. The art needs to be hung lower. Art takes a while to perfect so wait for the perfect piece will find its way to you.
    2. That little square glass table beside the chair isn't necessary and obstructs the traffic pattern. Pull the two coffee tables apart so one is more focused in front of the 2 chairs, and the other at the far 1/2 of the sofa. Then they become functional instead of "just perfect."
    3, Pillows are a nice decorative item, but have you sat in that furniture with the pillows? Pretty to look at, but irritating to sit with. A comfortable chair or sofa doesn't need any. Expect guests to want to toss them on the floor!

From the glimpse of the foyer, you have a warm and elegant home. Now that you've done the living room, the rest is easy!
    seeblue thanked inkwitch
  • inna1975
    10 years ago
    Love armchairs across the sofa.So cosy.Just centre the armoire on that wall like Mark suggested.Once again ,beautiful room
    seeblue thanked inna1975
  • Carolina
    10 years ago
    If you like the pillows on the sofa (I like the look), but don't like to have them there if you sit on the sofa... you could get a large basket, place it near the sofa and you'll have a place to throw them in. So they won't end up all over the place. I only have a couple of pillows on my sofa, and I like to snuggle up with them, but hubs and the dogs keep throwing them off. I could train hubs to throw them into a basket... maybe ;-)
    seeblue thanked Carolina
  • maurice harris
    10 years ago
    Get rid of that a noir and those hay thing. Add some color and move the sofa against the wall.
    seeblue thanked maurice harris
  • PRO
    Maguire
    10 years ago
    Hi seeblue, your room looks gorgeous. I love your drapery, so elegant looking, warms up the room. The square table between the two chairs is perfect and if I had to move everything down a foot, placing the chair on the left at an angle and moving the other one down to make it work, I would. The slightest jiggle of a few inches with furniture, pictures and accessories can make a big difference, as you know.
    I also like the red ottoman and think red would look great on the dining room chairs, then you'll have plenty of red in the room. Some art, a couple of large books for under the coffee table and other accessories and you're all set. Somethings take more time, you'll only want to bring in things you love.
    I also like your bird pillow. Easy to bring the red pillows back in for the holidays or if you sew you can make red pillowcovers to slip over your current ones. You've done a beautiful job. I hope your family is enjoying it.
    seeblue thanked Maguire
  • seeblue
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Thanks everyone for the comments and the kind words on the progress of my room.

Carolins-I really can't sew,the pillows are the first thing I have made since high school(a long time
    ago)and in time I hope to improve.Thank god the camera doesn't pick up all the mistakes I made

Yes, the fabric on the recovered stool is brighter,the colours are yellow,blue and green and they
    match the colours of the pillows in the room.I was thinking of moving the rug back into the diningroom and purchasing a plain sisal rug for the diningroom.

inkwitch-You are correct about the traffic flow with the chairs across from the sofa.I was thinking of getting a new chair where the little side chair is now,I really need something that is more comfortable than the new chairs I purchased even after i replaced the cushions they really are not that comfortable to sit but I am stuck with them now.As for the art it needs to be replaced with something else it really doesn't fit with the room now and i don't love it.

Maquire-I was thinking of moving the red rug into the diningroom and purchasing a plain sisal
    rug for the livingroom and then recovering my diningroom chairs with the yellow,blue and green
    fabric that is on one of the stools.Will that work..... also if you or anyone else,have any idea's on some kind of art that i could use to replace the sticks that are currently on the sides of the tv.
  • seeblue
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    In the last picture there is 6 feet of open space from the end of the couch to the front of the amoire
    could i put another chair there?
  • seeblue
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Would something along the lines of this chair work?
    http://www.ikea.com/ca/en/catalog/products/90251659/
  • vjs12
    10 years ago
    The armoire could be centered on the wall. Since this is the tv room, I think the chairs should be together in front of the armoire (like the first pic) for tv viewing.
    Ideally, to see the tv from the couch and two chairs, the tv and cabinet could be placed on the wall directly across from the couch. Would it fit there? Then angle one chair to the left of the couch and one to the right. Maybe place the armoire where you originally had it. On each side of the armoire add accent chairs. The accent chairs could be used as extra sitting in your dining room. It will fill that wall space nicely. Example: This is my family room and we can see the tv from where ever we sit.
    seeblue thanked vjs12
  • bellesum
    10 years ago
    The room is looking good. Just 2 suggestions. Bring back the red pillows and remove the sticks/straw thingey. I haven't been following from the beginning but love how the room evolved so quickly and how action-oriented you are.
    seeblue thanked bellesum
  • PRO
    Maguire
    10 years ago
    The gray chair would work, a classic style, unless you'd want to go for leather. (It's more expensive, you won't want bonded leather)
    English Roll Arm Leather Chair · More Info
    seeblue thanked Maguire
  • seeblue
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Vjs12;
    Sorry,I have moved the tv to the opposite side of the room,it is now sitting on a console table
    but we are thinking of wall mounting it.

Bellesum-I also like the red pillows but I thought that with the red rug and stools that i was going
    overboard on the red so I changed direction and went with the yellow,blue and green tones.Which
    really is why I am grateful for all the comments i get on my room.I love everything and all styles.
    So now when I am looking at the room I see alot of silver and grey and this includes the chair
    i was asking about that i posted above(it is grey) On an upnote I did see a pic in another
    thread that showed six pictures around a tv and i think i might try that to replace the green sticks.

Maquire-I love the leather chair but my husband hates leather for god only knows what reason,
    I was going to buy leather furniture because we have two little dogs that like to curl up on the couch
    but he nixed that idea really quickly.

If anyone has any other idea's I am open to it all...
  • PRO
    Marie Hebson's interiorsBYDESIGN Inc.
    10 years ago
    Most "L" shaped rooms are very tough to furnish. Might be worth visiting a reputable local furniture store that will provide options for you - and they'll measure the room. I always "zone" the room - deciding what I want to do where, and what I need to do it with...Good Luck.
    seeblue thanked Marie Hebson's interiorsBYDESIGN Inc.
  • bellesum
    10 years ago
    I am confused. Where is the space for another chair? I have personally tried several Ikea chairs, including the wingback chair you picked. I didn't find them comfortable.
  • seeblue
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    I am sorry if i confused you and i am not 100% sure there is space for another chair.In the last pictures i posted there are two different arrangements.In the first pic i would place the chair opposite the other chairs and abit to the left hand side, and in the last pic i would place the chair by
    the sofa in front of the amoire(there is 6 feet of space from where the sofa ends to the front of the
    amoire).Is this clear as mud,I think i confused myself.
  • bellesum
    10 years ago
    Oh I think I see another chair in one of your photos facing the L-shaped configuration and next to the console. That might work if it doesn't obstruct traffic moving to the dining area. I would pick a modern wingback chair for that spot.
  • seeblue
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    yes i did have a chair in that spot in one of the photo's i posted,I drive my hubby batty because
    i am such a visual person and he is the opposite.
  • Carolina
    10 years ago
    Hi seeblue,
    If you're considering an extra chair, you could put the other one that you have to try out if it fits in the space without being 'in the way'. The Ikea wingback is a bit taller than the one you have I believe, but it is not a huge chair. It's quite 'thin', no big cushions. So visually it isn't as large as the one that Maguire posted I think.
    I found it remarkably more comfortable than it looks when I sat in it. Ikea has two wingbacks now. The Stockholm is more expensive, but has a sleeker look and is also more comfortable than it looks.
    seeblue thanked Carolina
  • seeblue
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Thanks carolins i am going to pop over and take a look on their website for the stockholm chair.
  • seeblue
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    I found some lamps today,could i possibly get some opinions on whether they work in the
    room .I was trying different shades on the lamps so that is why the shades do not match.
  • Carolina
    10 years ago
    Ooo... they are beautiful. First preference was the 'shorter' shade, but when I looked again, it maybe shows a bit too much of the metal part? Is it called 'harp'? Anyway... I like both shades. The shape of the base and the colour is very, very pretty!
  • bellesum
    10 years ago
    The taller shade looks better. Nice lamps. They catch the light from the windows. I thought I would mention that your white curtains would look good with a grosgrain ribbon trim.
    https://www.houzz.com/magazine/embellishing-tricks-for-cost-effective-custom-curtains-stsetivw-vs~8214970
    seeblue thanked bellesum
  • kristylou
    10 years ago
    I was going to say I missed the red accents too and since all you left was the rug with red, it looked out of place. Adding the teal/turquoise lamps (and the couch pillow with the same color detail I love!) it's coming together. How about a throw in the red, maybe over the arm of a chair? I agree that the curtains look kind of plain and honestly I don't like the white. To me it makes the rug appear dirty. You're definitely getting there though; great job!
    seeblue thanked kristylou
  • vjs12
    10 years ago
    The longer shade looks better. I like the blue lamps. I think your drapes are pretty the way they are. Replace the beige pillows with some blue ones and a rug with some blue also. I think you said you were getting a new rug and doing away with the red accents?
    seeblue thanked vjs12
  • seeblue
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Yes,I was thinking about putting the red rug back into the diningroom and getting a larger 9x12
    plain rug for the livingroom.So if i do that I think i would need touches of red in both rooms to
    try and tie them together because it is an L shaped room.

bellesum,I like the idea of the ribbon on the curtains but which colour to use.Right now i seem
    to have colour overload.I just counted and i have six different colors in the room.Can all these
    colours somehow work together.

Kristylour-my daughter agree's with you she misses the red.

Any colour experts on board?
  • bellesum
    10 years ago
    If you keep the red rug, I would add a red trim. Yes, you have several colors going but they seem to be working well together. They all seem to be pretty jeweled tones.
    seeblue thanked bellesum
  • Carolina
    10 years ago
    What makes the red rug work for me is the little bit of red that's in the centre pillow.
  • pcmom1
    10 years ago
    I love the rug in the living room. And the two round coffee tables. Agree the drapes are too white for the rug and sofa.

I think the blue lamps should be switched out with something more in line with the rug. Maybe a burnished bronze, more world traveler vibe.
    Living Room · More Info

Living Room · More Info

Tropical Living Room · More Info
    seeblue thanked pcmom1
  • pcmom1
    10 years ago
    If you decide you want the drapes more of a beige in line with the rug, and you are brave, you can soak them in a bathtub full of water stained with tea or coffee. If you end up not liking the look, bleach them back to white!
    seeblue thanked pcmom1
  • seeblue
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    pcmom1

That is it,in the first pic Living Room 1 you posted,that is the look I have been trying to get for my room but
    I didn't really know how to explain or how to achieve it so I have been all over the board
    trying different things.Thank you so much,I just feel so relieved.
    The question is can I get that look with the furniture I have so far,I
    can return the lamps but not the coffee tables.If i have to i can part with the coffee tables.
  • pcmom1
    10 years ago
    I love, love and love your coffee tables!

And for looking for lamps and drapes, check out World Market online. I got some 96 inch panels for my bedroom there this summer. Look great. And, if you order online and wish to return, I believe you can just take them to a near by store.

And, just to clarify the look you are after, it is the photo with the green sofa (although you will go with the red color instead!).

Now that folks know more what you are after, you will get lots of great advice. And, don't know if you have an idea book, but do searches of eclectic living rooms.
  • seeblue
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Yes pcmom1 it is the photo with the green sofa.I would really like to keep the drapes.I am off
    to do some searching.Thanks
  • Carolina
    10 years ago
    I like the coffee tables and the drapes too :-) If that offers you any kind of consolation ;-)
  • pcmom1
    10 years ago
    Happy hunting!
  • ybxhctq
    8 years ago
    I know this is an old thread, but I thoroughly enjoyed watching your transformations and hope that final decision was something you absolutely love!!