What would you do with this amazing room?
defender808
This is an 1923 Craftsman home. It has ALL wood walls. Pine with beveled trim and lots of accents. What would you do to lighten it up?
rnonwheels
Paint some of them!! Don't be afraid to just because "it's wood", better is better!
October 8, 2013 at 6:56pm        Thanked by defender808
PYRAMID DESIGN GROUP
TO start with---remove carpet, refinish or install hardwood floors, use area rugs. replace existing wall sconces in last picture
PyramidDG.com
October 8, 2013 at 6:57pm        Thanked by defender808
shakerjaebs
I'm not a designer but I'd rip out the carpet first. The wood is gorgeous! I wouldn't paint it!
October 8, 2013 at 6:58pm      Thanked by defender808
defender808
This is the hallway leading to 4 bedrooms. One of which (the master) which is the picture with the arch windows.
October 8, 2013 at 7:10pm     
defender808
The master bedroom.
October 8, 2013 at 7:11pm     
rosecottagehome
Love the fireplace, love, love those arched windows. The wood on the walls, is it oak, I am thinking it may be. This suggestion may be too out there but, just a thought.....could you use that beautiful oak from the walls for the flooring in your entire house that needs new flooring, and then have the walls dry walled? If I haven't made you scream, this lady is a nut......I would leave the wood ceilings, stairs and trim work as is. They would look stunning and contrast nicely with the dry wall. The wood is beautiful, but may be too much of a good thing and does make it dark.
October 8, 2013 at 7:24pm      Thanked by defender808
Someone's in the Kitchen, Inc.
Hi Defender! This looks like a house BUILT by a craftsman - full of wood, but with - to my eye - variously styled details. I agree with Pyramid on carpet (obviously well used, and just too light as a reasonable companion to all the wood), and sconce light (some craftsman-styled fixtures would bring some immediate design punch to these areas.

Wonderful window array in master bedroom! From the bit of the place I can see here, I'd lekely put in a good bit more lighting. Especially periodl-styled fixtures that add warm glow to all the wood. Sconces are great for this - will light above themselves on the wall and the ceiling. Maybe paint a ceiling here or there, between the beams left in their wood tones.

Also, alligatored varnish on wood with it's original 1920's finish will have darkened quite a bit with time. Find a spot in a discreet place and experiment with a finish disolver (not remover) and steel wool - to liquify the varnish, work it around, remove half of it or so, and create a newly smooth, lighter look.

It would help to see more photos, and to hear more about your hopes and budget.

Have fun! Mark
October 8, 2013 at 7:41pm        Thanked by defender808
sstarr
Oil the wood, and add lots of appropriate light fixtures. Take out the carpet of course. Probably hardwood underneath? It's a showplace.
October 8, 2013 at 7:58pm        Thanked by defender808
hazeldazel
agree with sstarr93, oil the wood (clean it first) and add some lighting. It's gobsmacking gorgeous.
October 9, 2013 at 4:52pm   
sstarr
I think it's really too bad that somebody painted the brick, and wonder whether you could have it carefully restored. If not, I would tone down the white.
October 9, 2013 at 5:44pm   
loganp1980
I would get new flooring but maybe not wood since there is so much already. Maybe a nice bright tile floor.
October 9, 2013 at 5:58pm   
Help design my country/vintage/modern idk what it is kitchen!
Okay, here is my kitchen. Just had the granite installed...
Need help on living room plssss
I have a recessed wall in living room and a lot of...
What to do in this room?
Need some ideas on how to redo and utilize this space...
Planter suggestions?
Rocks, plants, flowers?
My boring bedroom.
Have tried different ways to decorate room. Larger...