Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
defender808

What would you do with this amazing room?

defender808
10 years ago
This is an 1923 Craftsman home. It has ALL wood walls. Pine with beveled trim and lots of accents. What would you do to lighten it up?

Comments (11)

• rnonwheels
    10 years ago
    Paint some of them!! Don't be afraid to just because "it's wood", better is better!
    defender808 thanked rnonwheels
  • shakerjaebs
    10 years ago
    I'm not a designer but I'd rip out the carpet first. The wood is gorgeous! I wouldn't paint it!
    defender808 thanked shakerjaebs
  • defender808
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    This is the hallway leading to 4 bedrooms. One of which (the master) which is the picture with the arch windows.
  • defender808
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    The master bedroom.
  • rosecottagehome
    10 years ago
    last modified: 10 years ago
    Love the fireplace, love, love those arched windows. The wood on the walls, is it oak, I am thinking it may be. This suggestion may be too out there but, just a thought.....could you use that beautiful oak from the walls for the flooring in your entire house that needs new flooring, and then have the walls dry walled? If I haven't made you scream, this lady is a nut......I would leave the wood ceilings, stairs and trim work as is. They would look stunning and contrast nicely with the dry wall. The wood is beautiful, but may be too much of a good thing and does make it dark.
    defender808 thanked rosecottagehome
  • PRO
    Someone's in the Kitchen, Inc.
    10 years ago
    Hi Defender! This looks like a house BUILT by a craftsman - full of wood, but with - to my eye - variously styled details. I agree with Pyramid on carpet (obviously well used, and just too light as a reasonable companion to all the wood), and sconce light (some craftsman-styled fixtures would bring some immediate design punch to these areas.

Wonderful window array in master bedroom! From the bit of the place I can see here, I'd lekely put in a good bit more lighting. Especially periodl-styled fixtures that add warm glow to all the wood. Sconces are great for this - will light above themselves on the wall and the ceiling. Maybe paint a ceiling here or there, between the beams left in their wood tones.

Also, alligatored varnish on wood with it's original 1920's finish will have darkened quite a bit with time. Find a spot in a discreet place and experiment with a finish disolver (not remover) and steel wool - to liquify the varnish, work it around, remove half of it or so, and create a newly smooth, lighter look.

It would help to see more photos, and to hear more about your hopes and budget.

Have fun! Mark
    defender808 thanked Someone's in the Kitchen, Inc.
  • PRO
    sstarr93
    10 years ago
    Oil the wood, and add lots of appropriate light fixtures. Take out the carpet of course. Probably hardwood underneath? It's a showplace.
    defender808 thanked sstarr93
  • hazeldazel
    10 years ago
    agree with sstarr93, oil the wood (clean it first) and add some lighting. It's gobsmacking gorgeous.
  • PRO
    sstarr93
    10 years ago
    I think it's really too bad that somebody painted the brick, and wonder whether you could have it carefully restored. If not, I would tone down the white.
  • loganp1980
    10 years ago
    I would get new flooring but maybe not wood since there is so much already. Maybe a nice bright tile floor.