Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hez2u

Front door colour (and back porch)

Heather Brookes
10 years ago
last modified: 10 years ago
Repainted the house a lovely grey, white trim around windows, black on door frames and soffits ect. I thought i'd make the front and back doors pop with a bright colour but not so sure I am loving it (and my husband really isn't) Any ideas out there? (Red is out)

Comments (26)

• leelee
    10 years ago
    Not minding the color it is now but not sure of the black trim. Think about sage green or aubergine. Did you paint the half moon frame the same as the door? Can't tell from the pic but it should be same as door color.
    Heather Brookes thanked leelee
  • PRO
    ASVInteriors
    10 years ago
    Your brightest "pop" of colour (barring red and yellow) to work with the green of your planting and the grey and stone of your walls would be anything in the pink range: magenta to fuschia. However, you could try a mid tone pink (it would pick up the pinks in your stones and work as a contrast to the green).
    Heather Brookes thanked ASVInteriors
  • Heather Brookes
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    We have actually had the door and all trim black for the last ten years. The body of the house was a beige taupe colour and I quite liked the combination but my husband felt we needed a change. (I would happily have a white truck every time I get a new truck but he changes colour with each vehicle.) I like the idea of brushed nickel hardware and yes the window trim is the same colour as the door. Do you know what aubergine that is. I really like that. And perhaps a darker green would have been better. Currently it is pale avocado but I was considering BM's Jalapino
  • groveraxle
    10 years ago
    Some other colors:
    Heather Brookes thanked groveraxle
  • PRO
    Annalise Bubes
    10 years ago
    Hi! I love the idea of a colorful door with your house. I think that grey's and yellow's go great together. What about a light yellow door. I also really like the light blue in the top right corner of groveraxle's photos!
    Heather Brookes thanked Annalise Bubes
  • chloebud
    10 years ago
    I'm with travisinteriors...black with brush nickel hardware.
    Heather Brookes thanked chloebud
  • PRO
    JudyG Designs
    10 years ago
    Me, too…black!
    Dyna - East Queen Anne · More Info

Go crazy with some house numbers!
    Heather Brookes thanked JudyG Designs
  • cynamonc
    10 years ago
    I love it! It's a gorgeous color, fresh, clean and modern. I would change out your hardware to nickel or chrome, modern design handle, also funky door knocker. The gold is causing the clash. Also, think about a modern light and funky house numbers to put on wall beside door. Looks great!
    Cloud Residence · More Info

Fusion of mid-century modern + urban cosmopolitan exterior · More Info

Hawthorn Hills Terrace · More Info
    Heather Brookes thanked cynamonc
  • Heather Brookes
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    I am leaning towards the Aubergine of Groveraxle's top left photo with the frame painted white and new brushed nickel hardware. Also realizing power washing the steps is in order. thank you so much for all of your input, especially the examples. Now I'll have something to show Ken.
  • buffy1952
    10 years ago
    I actually like the door color! I painted mine a very similar color, called "soothing green tea". (But my husband is not crazy about it.) I made turquoise house numbers, too. I added a wood bench out front and painted it the green and turquoise. Most of the home is brick, with some lap siding painted beige (not crazy about that) but from the road the door compliments the brick much better than the fire engine red door when we purchased the home last year!
    Heather Brookes thanked buffy1952
  • Heather Brookes
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    I like what you have done. I think the white frame is perhaps what mine is lacking. I may repaint the frame before I try a new colour on the door. And what is it about husbands and green (perhaps it reminds them of cilantro?)
  • groveraxle
    10 years ago
    Same door with white frame.
    Black door with black frame.
    Heather Brookes thanked groveraxle
  • Heather Brookes
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    You are GOOD!
  • cynamonc
    10 years ago
    Please post photos after you finish your doors, it's always so fun to see the before and after.
  • Dar Eckert
    10 years ago
    The house reminds me of my parents house built in the 50's. The fascia was a salmon color and doors were light wood natural stain with large textured glass window in door.
  • jrobertson7148
    10 years ago
    I think the color needs to be more chaurtreuse (sp?) like the door in the Hawthorne Hills Terrace shown above. The current color is a bit too soft with the black trim & grey. A brighter, stronger color will hold up to the black much better. Also consider changing the hardware out to grey. My door is same as the Hawthorne Hills door & I did it in high gloss, and I get tons of compliments. So I think you're close on color - just go a bit stronger, bolder.
  • drossxstitch
    10 years ago
    I like the green color - it is cool feeling and contemporary and very clean.
  • PRO
    Galileo Construction Inc.
    10 years ago
    Bonjour. What about orange?
    Travis Heights - Guest House Entry · More Info
  • onemoreletter
    10 years ago
    Don't use black it makes the tunnel effect. lime green ,orange ,pink are the right way to go
  • Nancy
    10 years ago
    I think the green you have painted is just too pale. The green door that leelee posted would be much better or the orange Galileo Constructions posted just above would be great too. Pastels - definitely not!
  • Heather Brookes
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Dar..this house was built in the 50's. When we bought it the trim was a horrible brown and the stucco was mostly grey but had what appeared to be broken up beer bottles in it. We haven't done much to the front other than change the stairs, replace old aluminum windows with wood and restucco. Probably time for a new door
  • drossxstitch
    10 years ago
    Yes perhaps a few shades darker for the green to truly pop.
  • onemoreletter
    10 years ago
    If your looking for a new door go with crestviewdoors.com
  • onemoreletter
    10 years ago
    Ill look for a pic of the door I installed, I did it in racecar yellow
  • onemoreletter
    10 years ago
    See the pink color in the other room in the pic. something along that hue
Sponsored
Miller Woodworks
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars21 Reviews