Help I need storage around my fireplace...
scottsh1
Im interested in having storage around my fireplace but Im not sure if it will look right. I know the shelving will have to be built in because if not it will be to bulky and block the stairway. Any suggestions? Should I get cabinets as well or just shelves? (photos are before renovation). thanks
incubus_of_habit
With a wall like that, I'd go with floor-to-ceiling bookshelves with a mezzanine level! But...maybe that's a bit much. If you want to add bookshelves but not interfere with the stairs, you could move the landing out one step width, there by raising the landing by one step level, and then extend the bottom-most step out into the living space.
October 15, 2013 at 12:40pm      Thanked by scottsh1
scottsh1
@incubus_of_habit do you have any photos of what your talking about?
October 15, 2013 at 4:17pm   
Sustainable Dwellings
What do you need to store in a living room???
October 15, 2013 at 4:25pm   
ReMax - Lisa
It would look awesome as a library with loads
of tall shelves and an antique ladder that slides
across the shelves
October 15, 2013 at 4:36pm   
incubus_of_habit
@scottsh1 I was thinking something like this (If budget allows):

October 15, 2013 at 7:47pm   
HI -- That is a massive wall to deal with . First thing is that fireplace looks so tiny for the wall . I think that mantel surround needs to be replaced with something with more height and presence . Unless you have lots of books I would not over do book cases .Doing the whole full wall with shelves and or bookcases is overkill . And who's going to climb that high to get a book and who's going to do that to dust either. I like the bookcases that Restoration Hardware has,-- but don't put too close to the stairs . I think you could add a grid of boards for some texture on the wall to make it more interesting than it just being flat . Or maybe a wallpaper that looks like concrete or brick or old wood or even a photo mural . Search on Houzz for feature walls and tall (modern?) fireplaces .
October 15, 2013 at 8:20pm   
It isn't a great focal area since the traffic and stairs interfere with grouping furniture there. Have you a better wall for the FP and built-ins?
October 15, 2013 at 8:24pm   
Lampert Dias Architects, Inc.
You could make your fireplace larger visually by adding to the base with stone or a larger wood surround and then extending the fireplace wall up to the ceiling......Then you could build in cabinetry on the right side since the stair is in the way on the left.

I have found a few photos of fireplaces with cabinetry that might help you with your own design.

Another option, after extending the fireplace up the wall is to place a beautiful tall cabinet on the wall to the right and then add a large painting above that........

Most photos that are out there are symmetrical, but you can have a one sided fireplace cabinet that will look good..... I couldn't find any photos.
If you draw the elevation of the wall and do some sketches you should be able to get the proportions right.......Or you could hire a local designer to help....
October 15, 2013 at 9:00pm     
sunnydrew
is there going to be a tv added to the wall here?
October 15, 2013 at 9:26pm   
Need help with what to put around my fireplace.
I have an octagon-shaped living area. The fireplace...
I need help with my new storage room
We built a large 2 car garage with a storage room upstairs....
I need help making my storage shed look attractive...
I designed this to maximize storage within a limited...
Colour dilemma
Am building a new house my kitchen is white, the walls...
Hanging chandelier in staircase
Where,at what height, do I hang a large globular chandelier...
Need help with dining room
I am currently using our garden furniture, not sure...
What do you think about this cabinet color?
I have a recently purchased condo with birch colored...