Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
scottsh1

Help I need storage around my fireplace...

scottsh1
10 years ago
Im interested in having storage around my fireplace but Im not sure if it will look right. I know the shelving will have to be built in because if not it will be to bulky and block the stairway. Any suggestions? Should I get cabinets as well or just shelves? (photos are before renovation). thanks

Comments (9)

• Darrel Austin
    10 years ago
    With a wall like that, I'd go with floor-to-ceiling bookshelves with a mezzanine level! But...maybe that's a bit much. If you want to add bookshelves but not interfere with the stairs, you could move the landing out one step width, there by raising the landing by one step level, and then extend the bottom-most step out into the living space.
    scottsh1 thanked Darrel Austin
  • scottsh1
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    @incubus_of_habit do you have any photos of what your talking about?
  • PRO
    Sustainable Dwellings
    10 years ago
    What do you need to store in a living room???
  • Darrel Austin
    10 years ago
    last modified: 10 years ago
    @scottsh1 I was thinking something like this (If budget allows):

Central Coast House and Library · More Info
  • lefty47
    10 years ago
    HI -- That is a massive wall to deal with . First thing is that fireplace looks so tiny for the wall . I think that mantel surround needs to be replaced with something with more height and presence . Unless you have lots of books I would not over do book cases .Doing the whole full wall with shelves and or bookcases is overkill . And who's going to climb that high to get a book and who's going to do that to dust either. I like the bookcases that Restoration Hardware has,-- but don't put too close to the stairs . I think you could add a grid of boards for some texture on the wall to make it more interesting than it just being flat . Or maybe a wallpaper that looks like concrete or brick or old wood or even a photo mural . Search on Houzz for feature walls and tall (modern?) fireplaces .
  • decoenthusiaste
    10 years ago
    It isn't a great focal area since the traffic and stairs interfere with grouping furniture there. Have you a better wall for the FP and built-ins?
  • PRO
    Lampert Dias Architects, Inc.
    10 years ago
    You could make your fireplace larger visually by adding to the base with stone or a larger wood surround and then extending the fireplace wall up to the ceiling......Then you could build in cabinetry on the right side since the stair is in the way on the left.

I have found a few photos of fireplaces with cabinetry that might help you with your own design.

Another option, after extending the fireplace up the wall is to place a beautiful tall cabinet on the wall to the right and then add a large painting above that........

Most photos that are out there are symmetrical, but you can have a one sided fireplace cabinet that will look good..... I couldn't find any photos.
    If you draw the elevation of the wall and do some sketches you should be able to get the proportions right.......Or you could hire a local designer to help....
  • sunnydrew
    10 years ago
    is there going to be a tv added to the wall here?