Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
diann_evans

Please HELP open living/kitchen decorating

Diann Evans
10 years ago
Just finished remodeling my ranch style home removing a load bearing wall between a den and formal living room in order to have one function able large room. Now I am in dilemma on how to decorate which is NOT my strong suit. I have no idea how to make this look good. Looking at the space I have already came to the conclusion that a longer love seat may be all the sofa I need. I welcome any and all ideas. I have ordered an Universal Castile credenza that is 84 inches long for under the TV. I will try to show it in my pictures. Need ideas for small social sitting areas in front of TV. I would like to see about 2 smaller swivel rocker recliners. I like the way Norwalk Allison recliner sit. I know the two recliners in the room now must go, but I really need ideas that I can vision. Also I need ideas for the area where the guitars are standing. I just love some of the ideas and help that has been given on this website. I really need you all! I am excited to hear suggestions. The dining room is my older set. I thought maybe reupholstering the chairs. Normal there are two of us at home. But I really like the ideas and views you give. I have no idea of colors. I do have plates that are the desert rose design.. Pink dog wood. Need major help to kick start my enthusiasm at this point. Got too involve with construction.

Comments (29)

• Diann Evans
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    I have more photos. Can I have ideas for more pendent lights on track lighting?
  • Diann Evans
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Universal Castile credenza, Norwalk recliner Allison?..I need help with the fabric. This room now has all hard surfaces and 8 foot ceiling.
  • Diann Evans
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Measurements.
  • Meghan
    10 years ago
    This room screams sectional! It's a beautiful space!
  • tuckersgurl
    10 years ago
    Is it possible to move your dining room set in front of the sliding doors and put your tv on the wall where the dining table is now? Perhaps get a sectional for extra seating and put a desk on the wall where the tv is now or book cases...?
  • Diann Evans
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Thanks but it looks bigger than it is. I don't think there is space.
  • mpoulsom
    10 years ago
    well one thing that I would suggest is hanging the musical instruments on the wall for decoration when not playing them.
    would you consider placing one loveseat/sofa where the recliners are now and angling a recliner to the right of the sofa towards the tv?
  • mpoulsom
    10 years ago
    last modified: 10 years ago
    [houzz=
    Transitional Family Room · More Info
    ]

kind of like this layout, but the recliner is missing on the left hand side in pic.

and I know you didn't ask, so tell me to shutty if you like (ha!)...but have you considered painting the tv wall a darker color than your other walls in the room. I think that would really look nice and give it some more personality!
  • Megan Hanwell
    10 years ago
    Hi,
    I can't make out the measurements in the photo you uploaded.
    Can you post them or take a better photo?
  • Diann Evans
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    The sofa or love seat where the recliners are sounds great to me that is what I was thinking. My husband uses the guitars. Is there a way to hang them and not destroy the paint and wall. My husband would be more gentle with the guitars and to heck with the wall. I would be calling Fred, the painter.
  • decoenthusiaste
    10 years ago
    Looking at your ideabooks I didn't get a clue about colors you might like. If you search the box above under Photos for guitar collection, you'll see lots of ideas for hanging/displaying them.
  • Diann Evans
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Measurements, again.
  • Megan Hanwell
    10 years ago
    I must be blind because I'm still having trouble making out the dimensions.
    I did a quick mock-up for you to consider but. . . .
  • Megan Hanwell
    10 years ago
    am I even close with the layout?
  • Diann Evans
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Megan, Wow thanks. I can't see your measurements. I may néed to go to bigger computer screen. The problem with your arrangements is that the sectional is up against the French door and would be it the flow of foot traffic to garage as well as up against the island. The island is large for the room.
  • Diann Evans
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    The wall with French door is only 11 1/2 feet long . The wall with guitars on it is set out 4 feet into the room
  • Diann Evans
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    I like neutrals and my plates are dessert rose. See picture. Could a little slash of pink make my dishes work? The guitars do not have to be in the room. We just have no idea of what to put there.
  • janeinfo
    10 years ago
    If you would like my two cents worth, I would move the dining room to the space where the guitars are located. I would get a light colored area rug to go under your table to break up all the wood and also to define the space. I agree a sectional would look fabulous in front of your television. Also, I would make the space where your dining room is now, a small sitting area for your husband's guitar playing. Just an idea, but armoires are very inexpensive these days on craigslist. Maybe you could find one with simple shaker lines and paint it a light color. Knock out the shelves and put guitar hooks inside for your husband to hang his guitars on and then when they are not in use, you could shut the doors. Just a thought.
  • Megan Hanwell
    10 years ago
    How large is the island?
  • Megan Hanwell
    10 years ago
    Hi Diann.
    Do the attached provide any inspiration? Two layouts. I didn't mess up the second one with all the flow lines. Again, I'm sure the measurements are off.
  • Diann Evans
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Megan,
    The island is 3 1/4 feet wide by 10 foot long. It sits 6 foot away from the refrigerator then angles inward. It sits 4 1/4 feet from the pantry.

The wall where you have the sectional is 10 feet wide.
  • Diann Evans
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    This is the dining table sit where the guitars were and guitars are where the dining table was.
  • Diann Evans
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Janeinfo.
    How is this?
  • Diann Evans
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Mpoulsom, deco enthusiasts, tuckersgurl,

I am thinking there are sections of sectional that do not get sit in.. No arms, no place to put things and no one wants to sit in the middle. Just studying what would function better. Could a loveseat and 2 club chairs work?

Iamjudy,

Yes, the dishes are my grandmother's and mother's dishes but we are using them as our everyday. I can't seem to get rid of some things.

Can I just re-upholster the dining room chairs? We use the bar so the dining room is not used. I guess the light color fabric would stay clean with little use.
    Attached another arrangement
  • mpoulsom
    10 years ago
    last modified: 10 years ago
    [houzz=
    13th St. Penthouse - Staircase / Kitchen · More Info
    ]
    [houzz=
    kgrahi · More Info
    ]
    [houzz=
    Sleepy Hollow Residence · More Info
    ]

a couple of examples of guitars mounted on the wall. and one example of an accent colored wall, (not your style i realize, but an example of one wall darker than the other walls)
  • mpoulsom
    10 years ago
    If you are set on designing your room around the plates, then pick up the greens perhaps.
  • janeinfo
    10 years ago
    It's your home, but I like the switch between guitar room and dining room because when you have guests, you can look out your lovely windows.
  • miacometlady
    8 years ago
    Oct 2013