Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
edubya

Do you use a water service at home?

Emily H
10 years ago
Do you or have you in the past subscribed to a water service to bring bottled water to your home? (Water coolers are not just for the office!)

Share your experience! (Photos encouraged)

Accessorized Kitchen · More Info

Comments (25)

• unwantedadvice
    10 years ago
    Many years ago in the high desert of California we used a service for our drinking water as the tap water was horrid tasting. Now where we live, the tap water is again, horrid, but we have had a reverse osmosis system professionally installed at the kitchen sink. Water tastes great and we are completely happy with it.
  • sunnydrew
    10 years ago
    We get the bottled water delivered every month. The cooler is in our laundry room next to the kitchen. I don't mind our local tap water (I really love drinking from the hose in the summer when I am working outside), but my other half won't drink it because of the chlorine they add. We have an ice maker, but he makes his own ice form the special water. I use the bottled water for cooking and instant coffee. I love the set up in the photo above.
  • User
    10 years ago
    Our local tap water tastes better than any bottled water I've ever tasted, so nope!
  • User
    10 years ago
    I have an RO system at my kitchen sink. I think it's more cost effective than bottled service over the long run. I highly recommend it.
  • PRO
    Robert
    10 years ago
    There's a simple alternative to bottled water: buy a stainless steel thermos, and use it . Don't like the way your local tap water tastes? Inexpensive carbon filters will turn most tap water sparkling fresh at a fraction of bottled water's cost.
  • Monique Barrow
    10 years ago
    No, I don't. The water here in the Netherlands is excellent, even better than bottled water. I only use a waterfilter to prevent calcium deposits in some appliances.
  • Caz Gee
    10 years ago
    last modified: 10 years ago
    perfect water from the tap here in Melbourne Australia.
  • PRO
    ASVInteriors
    10 years ago
    Given the amount of waste that is incurred with bottled water not to mention landfill, I have learned many ways to make the best of not-so-nice tasting tap.water1. A britax or,other filter in a jug2. Just filling a jug of water and leaving it out or in the fridge for an hour. Chlorine dissipates in air.3. Reverse osmosis systems4. Adding a squeeze of lemon, mint, ginger to a jug or glass of waterMost fridges with water dispensers automatically have filters added as well.
  • Susan Lawson
    10 years ago
    Save your money and put a filter on the kitchen faucet. Used to have reverse osmosis, which tasted good, but switched to a filter that doesn't waste all that water.
  • Tami Tinajero
    10 years ago
    I am from the NW...the best water around, and presently live in the SW where the water literally taste like it has dirt in it. We have an electric water dispenser in our laundry room (right off the kitchen). We use the water solely for drinking. It takes two 5 gallon containers a week for our family of five (sometimes more). fortunately the "water mill", where we fill our reusable containers, is just two blocks away =).
  • printesa
    10 years ago
    Nope..the fridge has a filter and that is all I need. I was thinking of doing RO, but there is too much waste with that. The bottled water is just tap water (some of them are worse that the regular tap water). Also, the amount of plastic that is generated from the bottles is just too much.
  • Kalev Valgma
    10 years ago
    I have used the water service, where the company brings the waterbottels to you,as well coffee and sugar and creamer.I loved the service and water tasted great ,cost around $ 20 a month.
  • spitfire60
    10 years ago
    We refill our 5 gallons when empty with Vitamin Cottage water 1.25 per bottle
  • dalola3d
    10 years ago
    If you drink/cook with a lot of water, I agree with the R/O system. We ditched our water service, and went the RO (Kinetico brand) way several years ago, and have loved it ever since.
  • Peggy Hardinge
    10 years ago
    Several years ago when we remodeled our kitchen I suddenly found the water distasteful; not sure why. So, we purchased a countertop water purifier by WaterWise. We have been using it ever since and the water is outstanding. You fill up the container with tap water which is, then, brought to a boil. The steam that rises is transferred to the included pitcher, and THAT pure, clean, awesome water is what you drink.
    After a couple months you can see the minerals begin to build up on the interior walls of the purifier where the water is brought to a boil. So, every so often, I'll boil enough water on the stove to fill the container, add a cup of white vinegar and let it sit for about an hour. Then, I take a scrubbie and clean it up sparkling and new.
    A real bonus is that you can use this pure water in your iron to prevent gunk build-up and, my dogs seem to get less red staining of the white hair under there tear ducts because my little angels drink the same good water we drink.
    This water is what I put in my stainless steel bottles which my husband and I carry everywhere. If this water purifier ever breaks down I will replace it IMMEDIATELY!!!!!!!
  • rottie59
    10 years ago
    I have well water which tastes as good to me as any bottled water I've found. I do have a filter on my fridge so the water in the door and icemaker is filtered. Before this house I had county water which I always filtered. Even a Britta will take most of the chlorine smell and taste out. That is what really tasted bad to me with tap water. I was going to use a water service several years ago when I lived in the city but opted for Britta and Fridge filters instead. Saves a lot more dollars than the service and quality is just as good.
  • Sam Hill
    10 years ago
    In the UK (where I live), tap water is generally drinkable, though up north, there will be the occasional place where pre-boiling is recommended. However, there is a slight difference in flavour of water depending on how hard or soft the water is.

Also, in our house in France, we have to have bottled water, as the tap water is rarely "portable", as they say (drinkable in French).
  • Kriss
    10 years ago
    An RO is the way to go! We love ours. Recommend getting the faucet and hook up to fridge and ice maker.
  • Aliza Goldsmith
    10 years ago
    We're in Los Angeles and use a water filter on our sink. It couldn't be easier. We had a reverse osmosis and switched to one made by Body Glove (the wetsuit brand). It's totally eco friendly and super easy to use.
  • azureblue
    10 years ago
    I have been drinking purified water for about 30 years and am pretty sure it is a very important factor in good health. I hauled 7 five gallon bottles for many years and now have a great RO system installed in home for drinking and cooking. I don't think good tasting tap water is a deciding factor because most of the bad stuff in our water supply is invisible and tasteless.
  • PRO
    Comforts of Home
    10 years ago
    WE have a RO system under our sink. Several times a day it makes a loud hoot noise. Anyone else have this problem?
  • Nancy Travisinteriors
    10 years ago
    In this country USA. Water is very clean and good. Instead of having a ugly water cooler. Get a refrig with a water in door that has a filter. Paying for bottled water is the biggest scam sold to Americans. You can also install a reverse osmosis under your sink. Cheaper in the long run. All the soft drink companies like Coke, Pepsi etc sell water. Why because it's a billion $$$ a year business for them. Drinking from plastic bottles is worse than any tap water. Get a reuseable container and fill with tap water. Save the planet and get rid of plastic.
  • PRO
    Estudio Castaño
    10 years ago
    We used to have a water purifier at the kitchen sink but it broke some years ago and since then we have been using bottled water delivered to our home (where I live you can't really trust that tap water is drinkable haha :( ). I've been thinking of buying a new water purifier again for the kitchen, it would be eco-friendlier and we would save up a lot of money.
  • Danya Moriah
    10 years ago
    Although I generally like the taste of filtered water (I occassionally use a brita filter), I drink mostly tap water since bottled water is not only a scam, but can be unhealthy for you. Tap water is heavily regulated while bottled water is not regulated in the same way. Discuss with your county environmental services. It was definitely a conversation worth having. Chlorine and other additives in water is often a necessity to clean water and building immunities. Filtered water doesn't provide the same luxury. ( http://www.businessinsider.com/bottled-water-is-more-dangerous-than-tap-water-2013-1)