Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
horsham1

Brown clad roof and white clad walls

horsham1
10 years ago
Hi
I have just bought this little cottage and aim to do it up as a rental. The roof and wall colour cannot be changed so am looking for ideas to bring in an accent colour to make it look welcoming or French provincial.

Comments (19)

• Curt D'Onofrio
    10 years ago
    There's no landscaping. Fence in front doesn't help matters neighter. The neighbors bushes look nice
    horsham1 thanked Curt D'Onofrio
  • horsham1
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    I plan to add a garden and picket fence when I have decided on a colour scheme, the windows and screens are brown aluminium but can be painted. We will also redo the verandah with timber and more substantial posts.
  • studio10001
    10 years ago
    last modified: 10 years ago
    I'd suggest leaving the windows, as a purely practical consideration, adding window boxes, placing new colour on the door and porch ceiling, and blackening the fence.
    horsham1 thanked studio10001
  • libradesigneye
    10 years ago
    If you can't tackle the white, use red - that will be charming with the white and brown. A nice deep strong one at the front door, http://www.sherwin-williams.com/homeowners/color/find-and-explore-colors/paint-colors-by-family/SW2802-rookwood-red/
    add bushes with white and pink flowers . . a bench on the front porch painted blue green like bm stratton blue . . . bench will need french provencial style - a pair of them on either side of the entry door centered on the windows. With some landscaping, the gravel is actually french provencial . . . try raphiolepsis across the front behind the new fence and down the side along the house (evergreen, pink flowering bushes) do a foundation planting of abelia grandiflora - ruby foliage neat architecture . . add a groundcover with pink flowers . . repeat only whites and pinks in the landscape. When you replace the roof - change it to green - blue green. . . .. then you'll have the french provencial charm you seek.
    horsham1 thanked libradesigneye
  • Caz Gee
    10 years ago
    as a landlord of a couple of properties, I suggest focussing your efforts on the inside first as anything you need to replace or repair can attract tax breaks through depreciation. Your exterior appears to be sound and only requiring cosmetic change. Of course you can spend money on landscaping but you need to take into account that tenants may not necessarily going to take care of the plants etc you install. Is that a garage at the end of the drive? it looks like it could do with repair/replace the doors to make it a secure and locakable unit. I'd tend to focus on those kinds of things.
    horsham1 thanked Caz Gee
  • Caz Gee
    10 years ago
    looking at the roof - not sure what kind of state it is in but it might benefit from a pressure wash and a re-spray/sealing, which will refresh the colour.
  • horsham1
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    The roof has been clad with a steel cladding that has a rough brown tile finish
  • Curt D'Onofrio
    10 years ago
    As a tenant of many of years, if the landlord took pride in his property i tried my best to maintain it...my idea was simply this, "to at the very least, perserve property as i initializaly found it at". Notice that i said "at the very least". If i can improve it i will. In the past the landlord(s) gave us a discount on monthly rent when we really needed it. I haven't forgotten those landlords
  • PRO
    Robert
    10 years ago
    Traditional French country homes create a rustic yet sophisticated exterior. With the right colors, textures, landscaping and architectural elements, you can decorate almost any home's exterior to make it look like French country.
    Paint colors are usually neutral and earthy. Use a combination of paint colors to add visual interest. Add brick or stone highlights around windows and doors, creating decorative arches to enhance the ambiance. Constructing an arched portico will accentuate the front entrance.Wrought-iron railings provide additional design options to accentuate the style.
    Install warm, inviting board-and-batten shutters beside front-facing windows . Dark-colored shutters provide a striking contrast against light-colored exterior walls.
    Landscaping with trees, shrubs, grass and flowering plants can enhance a home's French country exterior. Also design a gravel courtyard in front of your home to accentuate the casual, earthy feel of French country style.
    Install wrought-iron entryway sconces beside the front door to illuminate the area with a warm, inviting glow. Give your front door for a rustic, wooden replacement, and add an antique brass door knocker and kick plate to stimulate visual interest.
    horsham1 thanked Robert
  • Caz Gee
    10 years ago
    fair point, Curt. Your landlords have been lucky.
  • horsham1 thanked rinked
  • User
    10 years ago
    Lavender and geranium bushes. You don't want precious plants with renters.
  • horsham1
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Ok so we have just finished 5 days of 111 degrees heat now we are ready to start the reno, love your ideas and will include many of them. Is there an order to do things in to guarantee success, i.e. electricians, plumbers, plaster, floors etc?
  • Caz Gee
    10 years ago
    can't help you with that sorry as I've never really done a fully coordinated reno. However, I suggest that you post this as a new design dilemma question to attract the attention of a whole new audience who may not have commented on your specific question in this thread. Glad you survived the heat - we did too. Good luck with your reno! Cheers, Caz from Oz
  • User
    10 years ago
    Do what is in the walls/floor/ceiling before you do what is on the walls/floor/ceiling. Having a site manager is the best idea. Do an owner-builder course if not hiring them. Have a contingency fund of 20% over your budget for unexpected costs.
  • stevedenver
    10 years ago
    When you create substantial pillars on the porch, do the same with the posts on the front fence with boxes to hold large terra cotta pots with plants. Also have the top rail boxed. It will still be chain link, but will look tons better and you can paint the new woodwork to add color.

Big planters off the front edge of the porch will make the porch look larger. The tenant may or may not maintain them, but some flower plants, or herbs and lettuce, will make it look tons more inviting without having to break ground for landscaping.
  • User
    10 years ago
    Good one, Okedokegal.
  • horsham1
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Thanks all the skip arrives tomorrow. I think this information will be very helpful to others just starting out. My partner is a plumber so I am allowed to move things anywhere I want :)