Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sixkeys

Could this light look good in a master bedroom?

sixkeys
10 years ago
Thanks!

Comments (34)

• decoenthusiaste
    10 years ago
    Depends on the bedroom. Can we see where you plan to hang it? Comment here and add pix with AI button.
  • sixkeys
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Unfortunately, I have no pictures to share. This is a completely new bedroom, and right now it is in the framing stage. Overall the house is transitional. Since I have nothing to show you, mostly I am just curious if this style of light says "bedroom" or something else like "dining room". Thoughts?
  • sixkeys
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Thank you Darzy, I was kind of thinking the same thing.
  • Darzy
    10 years ago
    jusintine...I think it's the Loop-de-loop arms below the drum shade that makes it look "dinette" style. A simple drum or drum/crystal chandelier may look more like "bedroom" style.
    George Kovacs - Bling Bling 3-Light Semi-Flush Mount · More Info
    sixkeys thanked Darzy
  • dclostboy
    10 years ago
    I don't mind the original selection, but would want to know what sconces / night table lamps look like.
    sixkeys thanked dclostboy
  • sixkeys
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Thanks DC. All of the furniture and other lighting is up for grabs. I am going to pick the lighting fixture first, and then buy furniture and other accessories later.
  • indianpatti
    10 years ago
    I think you should buy your furniture first ... be sure to mix up the bedroom furniture, i.e., don't buy the entire "set". Get different nightstands, etc.
    sixkeys thanked indianpatti
  • PRO
    JudyG Designs
    10 years ago
    last modified: 10 years ago
    It looks kitchen to me, too. But, why a semi-flush? Is it going over the bed?
    Jade Beach · More Info
  • pamlally
    10 years ago
    I like that for my dining room- can you share where it is from?
  • sixkeys
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    @JudyG would you recommend a flushmount? I looked and I haven't found one that I like. It will be in the center of the bedroom. There are 9 ft ceilings.

@indianpatti - I agree that would be ideal. Unfortunately, this project is using all of my discretionary $. So I will probably move in with my old bedroom set, and then replace the furniture once I have more money.

Here is another light that I like.
  • sixkeys
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    @pamlally Sure! Here is a link to the entire collection:

http://www.lampsplus.com/products/s_wynwood/
  • sixkeys
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    @JudyG - oops! Your image didn't pop up at first. Are you suggesting a pendant instead? If so, here is one that I like.
  • Geneviève
    10 years ago
    I don't see why not but i do like the pendant best .
  • Carolina
    10 years ago
    To me a bed usually says bedroom, not the light fixture. Unless it's one of those cute nursery lights...
    The overall look sort of dictates what kind of lighting fixtures would go with it. Do you absolutely love this light and would you love to see it in your bedroom? Then yes, it could look good in there. Because you will probably pick all the other items in the same style.
  • PRO
    JudyG Designs
    10 years ago
    No, I am not recommending flush mount. You have a 9’ ceiling. You have 27” to the bottom of your light with which to work. I may have missed it but you did not mention the size of the room. Add the length and width in feet and turn that number into inches. That determines the width of the chandy ( if the room is 12' x 16' you buy a 28” wide light).

For instance this chandy is 11.5” high. That would leave you 15.5” for hanging. I just think that it would be a more romantic look opposed to a flush or semi-flush light.
    Echelon 5 Light Chandelier Bridal Shade · More Info
  • sixkeys
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Thank you for the calculation! Here is the floorplan. The overall dimensions are 12'10" by 14'3.5". But that includes a passageway down the side of the room to the closet and bathroom. I don't know if my electrician is centering the fixture on the whole room, or just the "furniture area" (hopefully that makes sense).
  • sixkeys
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    So based on that calculation, I might need to go wider in diameter. Here are some other lights I am considering.
  • sixkeys
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    My husband just dropped by the house and he said that the light is dead center. Is that right? Should it be more in the center of the bed area? Thanks!
  • PRO
    JudyG Designs
    10 years ago
    I would use the measurement of the entire room…so around 27” for the width of the light.

Is the bed coming off the long solid wall?

Were it my room, I would put the chandy centered over the bed. I would like to see that area of the room be designated as bedroom and not include the passage way and I really think the light should go over the bed. Take a look at this photo. Not sure I am explaining it quite right. As you walk through the room and you look to your left that particular space becomes ‘bedroom”. Am I making it worse? YIKES. I know what I mean ; > )

Intercontinental Influence · More Info

Both of your choices are nice but they are a particular style. What else is going on in the room for furniture? How about the master bathroom. Have you chosen your lighting in there? I would think you would like some correlation.

I like the chandy on the left, but both still look more dining than bedroom to me.
  • K D-G
    10 years ago
    Yes
    sixkeys thanked K D-G
  • Kathleen Jamison
    10 years ago
    Gorgeous lighting selection. I sure your builder wants a decision.
    Center of room is standard ....this is for general lighting ....of course you will have pot lights and lamps. I really like your choice. Very fresh and sophisticated. Only decision is the length of drop. If under construction stand in the room and feel it.
    sixkeys thanked Kathleen Jamison
  • sixkeys
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    I am trying to find a little softer selections. I am not really drawn to super feminine styles. The first floor has some industrial elements, but the master bathroom is more traditional. Here are the bathroom lights. And here are some other ideas I have for the bedroom. One final detail is that the door hardware is oil rubbed bronze.
  • sixkeys
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Last one! Any of these look more "bedroom" than "dining room"?
  • PRO
    JudyG Designs
    10 years ago
    This is an industrial take on an orb. Do you like this?
    Hollace Chandelier · More Info

Master Bedroom Remodel · More Info

Traditional Bedroom · More Info
    sixkeys thanked JudyG Designs
  • sixkeys
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    They are gorgeous! In fact you pegged my style so well, the second one I almost picked for my foyer (attached it what I picked instead). I was hoping to keep this fixture less than $350, but this is definitely helping.
  • momjk
    10 years ago
    One thing to remember in a bedroom: at times, 1 person in bed while other still up. And that puts you looking directly UP @ fixture. In current house, was a bar light that was too hard on eyes while lying down. Replaced that quite quickly! All the drum choices would be good, but ensure that have a shade/lens underneath.
    And YOU should be telling electrician exactly where you want the fixture placed. I would centre over "bed" section, not including walkway.
    sixkeys thanked momjk
  • solincia
    10 years ago
    With what momjk said, install a dimmer for whichever fixture you choose!
    sixkeys thanked solincia
  • momjk
    10 years ago
    Justine: Took a closer look at your floorplan and have just couple more things; What is reason for doorway into bedroom to be so far from corner? Places you entering more into middle of room, yet walkway to bath is along wall. Unlikely to put furniture along wall, so may as well have door in line w/that walkway.
    Also, given the wall construction needed for the 2 pocket doors, be aware of limitations for placing of switches, outlets, towel bars, closet rod supports, etc on those walls.
    sixkeys thanked momjk
  • PRO
    JudyG Designs
    10 years ago
    Justine, what about this for the room? R H, get it in bronze and choose the shade color which will go best with your decor.

Right size and good price.
  • sixkeys
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Beautiful! Thank you JudyG. I love R H, and we have purchased many lights from there. Very strong contender!
  • sixkeys
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    @momjk - Thank you very much for the feedback on my floorplan. I think my architect put it there so it wasn't directly across from the opening on the staircase (see wider view). I think he put it in the best spot, although I don't really love the hallway to nowhere. I am open to ideas!

For the pocket doors, I guess the only one I would be concerned about is the one to the water closet. So I can't put an outlet or towel ring on that wall, next to the sink? That is definitely a concern.
  • PRO
    JudyG Designs
    10 years ago
    Arteriors Rittenhouse Chandelier, Eggshell, Standard · More Info

Currey and Company Accordion Chandelier · More Info

Wood Bead Sphere Traditional Chandelier · More Info
  • PRO