Design and layout? SMALL LIVING ROOM!

sarajoy23January 26, 2014
Need help to make space look as large as possible. What should I do for window coverings? Furniture? Any ideas are welcome!
abbyjean
The couch needs to be centered on that back wall, with the rug in front of it. Is it possible for the chair to move over on the other side of the room, at the arm of the couch, so the back would be by the archway maybe?
    Bookmark   January 26, 2014 at 1:51PM
luxilove
Can you possibly take a picture of the back wall so we can get a feel for the room as a whole? Agreed the couch should be centered on the back wall, then we can find a nice place for the chair
    Bookmark   January 26, 2014 at 1:54PM
luxilove
Do you have a coffee table or ottoman that we can "borrow" from another room?
    Bookmark   January 26, 2014 at 1:55PM
sarajoy23
My kitchen is right there and dining table so didn't know if I could put chair there. We just knocked down a few walls and put the couch and chair in there that we had. I do have 2 end tables and a coffee table in basement I haven't brought up yet.
    Bookmark   January 26, 2014 at 2:21PM
sarajoy23
Want to get new furniture. What about couch and love seat? I have 3 kids so family of 5. Needing more seating
    Bookmark   January 26, 2014 at 2:22PM
sarajoy23
I meant to add this picture :-)
    Bookmark   January 26, 2014 at 2:24PM
abbyjean
I prefer a couch and 2 chairs. It would take up about the same amount of space, but chairs are more versatile than a love seat.
    Bookmark   January 26, 2014 at 2:33PM
sj73116
have you considered more modern furniture? From what I can see the dining table is probably transitional. The tv stand is a bit on the cottage side? What about paining or staining that and putting some modern handles on it? The deer heads are fine but do you need both ?
    Bookmark   January 26, 2014 at 3:06PM
If that is your front door, you have the TV on the wrong wall. Put it on the wall where the sofa is now, and float the sofa so the back of it lines up with the right edge of the window.
1 Like    Bookmark   January 26, 2014 at 3:14PM
jeff1185
I have a similar open layout where the front door opens in that corner of the room. If you follow groveraxle's suggestion, you could put a narrow sofa table behind it to serve as a place to put a couple lamps on and your keys when you walk in. Then perhaps put a bench where the TV console is now to sit on while putting on shoes, ect. This layout helps define a foyer area from the rest of the room.
    Bookmark   January 26, 2014 at 3:34PM
I think this is a better furniture arrangement with a console that fills that back wall and the TV on or above. Add some curtains and a rug, tables, a few accessories, you're good to go.
3 Likes    Bookmark   January 26, 2014 at 3:47PM
luxilove
Thank you for the pictures. I like the arrangement that groveraxle has made. I would put 2 chairs in front of the window with a small round table between them. Bring in your end tables and coffee table. If budget allows, a larger rug to tie things together.
    Bookmark   January 26, 2014 at 3:53PM
tennisanyone
I agree with grover Didn't we just do the same layout last week. It worked for that homeowner too. I would add a console table with two ottomans underneath to pull out when you need to and put it where you had the tv with a lamp and mirror so it looks like an entrance.
    Bookmark   January 26, 2014 at 3:54PM
luxilove
That will leave you with the space where the tv is now. How about a console table with lamp and mirror
    Bookmark   January 26, 2014 at 3:55PM
Sofa and two chairs with sofa centered between the two mounts, chairs facing each other over a coffee table, all on a nice large area rug (at least twice the size of the current one.)You might enjoy throwing a tanned deer hide over the area rug and under the coffee table.
    Bookmark   January 26, 2014 at 3:57PM
sarajoy23
Yes, we want new furniture. Our set we have now is 10 years old so time for update.
We never use that front door so that is why we put tv on that wall to maximize our space. Never thought to put couch on other side :-)
Yes deer heads have to stay. My husband has 5 so we comprised and he put 2 up - the other 3 are much larger
What about window treatments?
    Bookmark   January 26, 2014 at 4:22PM
Okay, I added a rug, a sofa table, and a red bowl for you to throw your keys in when you come in the door. You'll never lose them again.
3 Likes    Bookmark   January 26, 2014 at 4:29PM
Small Living Room Design and Layout
I need help decorating my small living room. My style...
jillsobczak
HELP me design and decorate my small living room! !
I do not have an eye for decorating and I don't have...
blaird87
Living room layout help! Small area with little wall-space
So we're having some issues with trying to figure out...
djadewhite
Great Living Room - need layout/design advice
My LR is a 2 story, open layout with great light and...
aehatfield
Need Help/Ideas W/ Living Room/Dining Room. Layout help & design help
I've included larger and more pictures in the thread...
kris0330
Does anyone have a family room anymore?
We are getting ready to gut the family room. I call...
Teresa Maletich
Need help picking exterior colors
Need help picking vinyl siding, shutter color and door...
dmocjo
Punch list question
We have a punch-list item already mid-construction....
jaywgleason
Painting stair risers
Has anyone successfully painted their stair risers...
ddoeing
too much oak
We built in the 90's and put in all oak trim and doors,...
tusun4