Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sarajoy23

Design and layout? SMALL LIVING ROOM!

sarajoy23
10 years ago
Need help to make space look as large as possible. What should I do for window coverings? Furniture? Any ideas are welcome!

Comments (17)

• abbyjean
    10 years ago
    last modified: 10 years ago
    The couch needs to be centered on that back wall, with the rug in front of it. Is it possible for the chair to move over on the other side of the room, at the arm of the couch, so the back would be by the archway maybe?
  • luxilove
    10 years ago
    Can you possibly take a picture of the back wall so we can get a feel for the room as a whole? Agreed the couch should be centered on the back wall, then we can find a nice place for the chair
  • luxilove
    10 years ago
    Do you have a coffee table or ottoman that we can "borrow" from another room?
  • sarajoy23
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    My kitchen is right there and dining table so didn't know if I could put chair there. We just knocked down a few walls and put the couch and chair in there that we had. I do have 2 end tables and a coffee table in basement I haven't brought up yet.
  • sarajoy23
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Want to get new furniture. What about couch and love seat? I have 3 kids so family of 5. Needing more seating
  • sarajoy23
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    I meant to add this picture :-)
  • abbyjean
    10 years ago
    I prefer a couch and 2 chairs. It would take up about the same amount of space, but chairs are more versatile than a love seat.
  • sj73116
    10 years ago
    have you considered more modern furniture? From what I can see the dining table is probably transitional. The tv stand is a bit on the cottage side? What about paining or staining that and putting some modern handles on it? The deer heads are fine but do you need both ?
  • groveraxle
    10 years ago
    If that is your front door, you have the TV on the wrong wall. Put it on the wall where the sofa is now, and float the sofa so the back of it lines up with the right edge of the window.
  • jeff1185
    10 years ago
    I have a similar open layout where the front door opens in that corner of the room. If you follow groveraxle's suggestion, you could put a narrow sofa table behind it to serve as a place to put a couple lamps on and your keys when you walk in. Then perhaps put a bench where the TV console is now to sit on while putting on shoes, ect. This layout helps define a foyer area from the rest of the room.
  • luxilove
    10 years ago
    Thank you for the pictures. I like the arrangement that groveraxle has made. I would put 2 chairs in front of the window with a small round table between them. Bring in your end tables and coffee table. If budget allows, a larger rug to tie things together.
  • tennisanyone
    10 years ago
    I agree with grover Didn't we just do the same layout last week. It worked for that homeowner too. I would add a console table with two ottomans underneath to pull out when you need to and put it where you had the tv with a lamp and mirror so it looks like an entrance.
  • luxilove
    10 years ago
    That will leave you with the space where the tv is now. How about a console table with lamp and mirror
  • decoenthusiaste
    10 years ago
    Sofa and two chairs with sofa centered between the two mounts, chairs facing each other over a coffee table, all on a nice large area rug (at least twice the size of the current one.)You might enjoy throwing a tanned deer hide over the area rug and under the coffee table.
  • sarajoy23
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Yes, we want new furniture. Our set we have now is 10 years old so time for update.
    We never use that front door so that is why we put tv on that wall to maximize our space. Never thought to put couch on other side :-)
    Yes deer heads have to stay. My husband has 5 so we comprised and he put 2 up - the other 3 are much larger
    What about window treatments?
  • groveraxle
    10 years ago
    Okay, I added a rug, a sofa table, and a red bowl for you to throw your keys in when you come in the door. You'll never lose them again.