Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ddmooney

Copper sink & stainless appliances

ddmooney
10 years ago
I'm doing my first kitchen remodel & love the idea of a copper farmhouse sink. The appliances are stainless. How will a SS dishwasher look located next to the copper farmhouse sink? What material should the faucet be? Stainless, rubbed oil???
The decisions are endless.

Comments (13)

• dbh
    10 years ago
    Stainless has been around for a long time, and I love it; still, I always view it as looking very modern. I also love copper, but copper always suggest "farmhouse" to me. While I love mixed metals in jewelry :)-- I just think, in the kitchen-- the copper mixed with the stainless-- might seem a bit split-personality. I'm redoing a kitchen countertop, and everything I have is stainless, but I wanted to eliminate the stainless sink we've had. The person who is putting in the soapstone recommended NOT getting a farmhouse sink (we were talking soapstone), because that has a distinctly country farmhouse look to him, and while our kitchen is not super modern-- it isn't farmhouse-like, either. I ended up ordering a Kohler enameled cast iron sink (under-mount) that pulls in the color of the backsplash and countertop-- but with a stainless one-hole faucet to echo the stainless elsewhere.

Anyway-- I probably would not go with the copper. But if you see it somewhere, with all stainless appliances, and it looks good-- then go for it. I also love a farmhouse sink, but for us-- the idea of it seemed better than what it might actually look like in our kitchen.
  • Lanitra Bynum
    10 years ago
    Just go with SS appliances and the faucet should be bronze rubbed oil to compliment the copper sink. Make sure your cabinet knobs are SS to tie everything back together.
  • PRO
    User
    10 years ago
    I have seen several photos with the copper sink with SS appliances and it looks fine. I have attached one.
  • dbh
    10 years ago
    Yes-- that looks great; that also has a shiny copper hood over the stove-- but the mix looks fine. I do think the copper farmhouse sink looks decidedly 'farmhouse' to me-- and goes great with this particular kitchen and all that stonework and old-fashioned faucet, etc. If it were me, I'd probably stick to a white farmhouse sink with stainless faucet. But that's just me. I'm not even sure I'm making the right decision with my soapstone (which is not yet installed), so what do I know. :)
  • Ann
    10 years ago
    last modified: 10 years ago
    I think if you have stainless appliances, but ORB cabinet hardware, light fixtures and faucet, the copper will look very nice. So, what do you have in mind for those other items?
    Dianahb - I don't think you could go wrong with soapstone. It's beautiful!
  • dbh
    10 years ago
    Thanks, Ann. I have this beige/warm white limestone for a backsplash that's been there 20 years- but still looks new. It was the limestone countertop that was the problem. The limestone has these very thin charcoal veins in it-- so I'm hoping it all goes well with the soapstone, which I love. It was keeping the backsplash that has me worried, but the fabricator, who seems to have seen everything-- very knowledgeable-- says it will look great. :)

But I just went through all this-- and ddmooney is correct-- "the decisions are endless." I do love those farmhouse sinks, too, but we didn't have a huge sink area, which was another problem. Seems they come rather large-- and then there were the existing cabinets . . . it goes on and on.
  • PRO
    Adrian J. Naquin Interior Design L.L.C.
    10 years ago
    Copper sinks are very beautiful and add a nice warmth, but no where close to being easy to clean as stainless. Can be a pain - unless you have a maid.
  • Ann
    10 years ago
    So true, the decisions are endless. We had a new dark quartzite island countertop installed last year and I have ORB everywhere and stainless appliances. I gave great consideration to a copper sink but Hubby wasn't convinced and the price was very steep. I didn't want a stainless sink so we ended up choosing a Blanco Silgranit sink (undermount). I've been very, very happy with it. There are several nice color choices. Just another option to consider.
  • dbh
    10 years ago
    Hey Ann,
    We actually looked at those Blanco sinks-- really really loved them. We had it narrowed down to one of those, or the Kohler cast iron. We ultimately went with the Kohler, but those Blanco sinks are impressive, too-- and, I gather, totally maintenance-free. We liked both equally, though, but Kohler's customer service is so above and beyond, that's the main reason we went with them. Nothing is installed yet (Monday), so I'm looking forward to seeing how it all looks. I love the quartzites I saw, too. At some point, you just have to stop looking. :) But I'm into low-maintenance, so the above comment that copper might be a pain to clean (without a maid!)-- would have me running in the opposite direction. Just sayin' . . .
  • Ann
    10 years ago
    dianahb - do you have a post about your kitchen so I can see pics when it's done next week? If so, what's the link? I'd love to see pics:) I bet you'll love it!
  • dbh
    10 years ago
    Hey Ann,

No; I don't have a posting. I just looked to see what others had done and at the Houzz photos where soapstone was used. I may have some existing pics on my cell phone-- if I still do, I'll post them. And I'll definitely take pictures after it's all done (you know, if it looks good). I'm thinking with a nice sink and faucet and soapstone, how bad could it look, really??
    Going back to the copper sink, ddmooney, check out Kohler's cast iron sinks. I'm pretty sure they have those as farmhouse sinks, too, and in a wide array of colors. They're really beautiful. That might be another good option, unless you're just really sold on the copper.
  • PRO
    Focal Point Hardware
    8 years ago

Linkasink makes some beautiful copper sinks (farmhouse and bar size). http://focalpointhardware.com/copper-sinks-c-11_886_887.html