Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kgibbs25

Layering pillows for a king bed

kgibbs25
10 years ago
I am thinking about buying bedding for our king bed from Pottery Barn and need some suggestions for layering my pillows with the patterns - I know that you should layer with 3 Euro Shams, 2 King, 2 standard and then an accent pillow, but wanted an opinion with what patterns to use. For example, I want to start with the 3 Euros, that are the same as the duvet pattern, then 2 King Pillows with an ivory color, but what you would you do for the standard pillows - would you do the standard pillows with the duvet pattern too or is that too much? Any suggestions, would be great! I have included the bedding below- let me know what you think!

http://www.potterybarn.com/products/joyce-ikat-duvet-cover-sham-blue/?pkey=cduvet-covers-shams&cm_src=duvet-covers-shams||NoFacet-_-NoFacet-_--_-

Comments (13)

• User
    10 years ago
    That's an awful lot of pillows to remove every night and replace every morning! Those rules exist only to entice you to buy more shams and pillows. The only rule is that it should look balanced. Three solid euros, two 20" patterned and one neck roll or rectangular in front is plenty. You could also do three euros and a long rolled pillow.
    Galloway Master Bedroom and Bath Addition · More Info

Captiva House · More Info
    kgibbs25 thanked User
  • PRO
    Warner Decor
    10 years ago
    I have a set from pottery barn, Haha! What we did was two solid euro shams (the color of our sheets, then two standard king pillow cases (accent color of blue), then two standard king shams of our pattern. :) We did add three square solid throw pillows after that. Hope that helps!
    kgibbs25 thanked Warner Decor
  • Another Thyme
    10 years ago
    Oh, my, the pillows on the bed! I have been hauling those gorgeous things out of our master bdrm and down the hall to throw on the living room sofa for so long that I have begun to have loving thoughts of those old fashioned bedspreads that you just pull up over top of the two pillows you actually sleep on! LOL
    kgibbs25 thanked Another Thyme
  • lucidos
    10 years ago
    @ Another Thyme I stack mine on the bench at the end of the bed. Although I admit that sometimes they end up on the floor but that's another story.
    kgibbs25 thanked lucidos
  • Jolene
    10 years ago
    We do 4, the two we sleep with and the two king with shams.
    I mostly became tired of storing the pillows overnight (they became over priced dog beds).
    I make the bed every day, but I don't make it "fancy" unless we are hosting a function.
    kgibbs25 thanked Jolene
  • zmhome
    10 years ago
    We don't have a king bed, but the arrangement for our queen bed is this; 2 sleeping pillows that match the sheets and duvet cover (folded in thirds at the foot of the bed) 2 euro pillows that match the quilt, 2 20x20 decorative pillows and 1 bolster pillow. This is easy to unmake and remake, looks balanced, and changing the decorative squares is easy when we change seasons.
    kgibbs25 thanked zmhome
  • kgibbs25
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Thank you all for the suggestions! I do appreciate them!
  • Christine W
    10 years ago
    I think this is a pretty tough decision because it should all be based on how you and your significant other like to sleep. My DH HATES the foufala pillows because then we spend time piling them up on some surface when it is bed time and then I obsess with arranging them when making the bed and that is a TREMENDOUS waste of time. I would suggest you guys discuss or act out how you like to lay or cuddle up in bed. If you like a body pillow then add it to the mix. If you both sleep on at least 2 pillows then add those too. If you only really need two really large decorative pillows that make the statement for the bed then only invest in those pillows and a fabulous fabric but keep the rest logical and in keeping with how you like to lay in and relax in the bed.
  • dclostboy
    10 years ago
    last modified: 10 years ago
    I like this layout for king bed. Two pillows in back, two great paisley shams, two bolsters to keep standing up and three accents in front.
    kgibbs25 thanked dclostboy
  • Mark
    10 years ago
    I would do the standard pillow cases in the green gold color of your duvet.
    kgibbs25 thanked Mark
  • User
    10 years ago
    Good grief, dc! That's 9 pillows!
    kgibbs25 thanked User
  • Nancy Travisinteriors
    10 years ago
    Mix print with solid in a color from sham. You don't have to go that many pillows cut it down. Mix in toss pillows to in a darker color from sham. Like to layer comforter also. One print over a solid.
    kgibbs25 thanked Nancy Travisinteriors