Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
colette_featherly

Kitchen facelift

cjh4q
10 years ago
We refaced / refinished our cabinets, new doors and drawers, added a limestone backsplash and added a rug. Still need to update stools. I wanted to post this because it was hard for me to find before and afters on refaced cabinets/minor remodels.

Comments (39)

• cjh4q
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Thanks. I concluded that even painted, I would not totally like the top arched doors, so we had new ones made. And changed them to as close to full overlay as possible.
  • User
    10 years ago
    Yes, the full overlay really makes it look so much more high end.
  • huntegreen
    10 years ago
    I have your before kitchen and hate the dated arches; love your new cabinets! (I'd do french cafe chairs for the island...). Were the new doors/drawer fronts costly? Is there a product that goes on the end unit and cabinet edges to change the brown to white?
  • feeny
    10 years ago
    I think you made excellent choices. It looks beautiful.
    cjh4q thanked feeny
  • cjh4q
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    last modified: 10 years ago
    Huntegreen, we had extra panels made for all the exposed ends. I wouldn't say it was inexpensive. It cost about $7-8k for doors, drawer fronts, crown moulding, redoing island into stained maple (the entire island was redone with new panels), slow close hinges, and painting. But it was still much less than new cabinets and counters. A more cost effective way would have been to just have new doors made for the uppers and keep the lowers intact, no full overlay
  • PRO
    KBR Design & Build
    10 years ago
    Great job! The white is so much more bright and inviting!
    cjh4q thanked KBR Design & Build
  • PRO
    SoYoung Mack Design, Assoc. AIA
    10 years ago
    Nice job! I so much prefer the new cabinet doors to the previous. Wine rack is a nice addition as well.
    cjh4q thanked SoYoung Mack Design, Assoc. AIA
  • PRO
    Michael Lee, Inc
    10 years ago
    Great job! Very clean look!
    cjh4q thanked Michael Lee, Inc
  • girlfriend1395
    10 years ago
    Nice job! As far as the stools go, I think a colorful square cushion with a corded piping and ballet shoe ties that criss-cross and tie a little way down the stool legs would work to add color to the stained stools.
    cjh4q thanked girlfriend1395
  • cjh4q
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    The stools do have me a little stumped. They were actually left by the prior owners and are a great size for the island and my kids to climb up easily. Changing to white contrasts the wood island but no contrast with the floor. In the absence of finding new stools I like, I may darken the stain and upholster the tops with a fabric and piping or nailhead trim.
  • feeny
    10 years ago
    What about painting the stools an accent color that picks up the tones in your rug? Here's an example using brighter reds, but any color could work as long as you committed to the accent color in few places in the kitchen. Or, alternately, you could paint the stools the color of the cabinets or the walls, which would create a contrast against the dark wood island.
    Historic cottage renovation kitchen · More Info
  • cjh4q
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Here is close up of the rug... I also thought about painting them the lighter shade of blue and using that as an accent color. Maybe look for a ceramic or glass fruit bowl along that color as well. We have a similar color as an accent in the adjoining great room. I'm on the fence.
  • hazelh59
    10 years ago
    What does full overlay mean?
  • cjh4q
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Full overlay refers to doors that completely cover cabinet fronts, little to no space between doors or drawer fronts. Partial overlay cabinets have space between the doors and the frame of the cabinet is seen. I think true full overlay cabinets may have to be made with frameless cabinets (maybe a cabinet pro can better describe this). In the before pic, you can see there is space between all the doors and drawer front.. A couple of inches. We had all the doors and drawers enlarged to meet each other... Or as close as possible anyway. The other design difference for us was going from outside hinges to concealed, slow close hinges.
  • hazelh59
    10 years ago
    Thanks for the info. Your kitchen looks amazing!
    cjh4q thanked hazelh59
  • Jill Witbeck Young
    10 years ago
    Yesss!! RE-FACING is the way to go!! Smart! I will do this soon. Yours looks amazing :)
  • leidigkr
    10 years ago
    This is a great option! Looks fabulous! What company did you use for the cabinets? What is your backsplash? Thanks!
  • Carrie
    10 years ago
    Beautiful! Do you mind if I ask you (ballpark) how much the refacing job was? I'm considering it for our kitchen, but ours is much smaller.
  • cabingirl13
    10 years ago
    Beautiful transformation- love the new cabinet doors! Thanks for posting this...want to do full overlay refacing in the future in my kitchen. Only have the money for new countertops this year. Did the 2 cabinets over the stove get moved up higher...or does it just appear that way with the new molding?
  • cherilee01
    10 years ago
    The stools look wonderful! I would keep them. Gorgeous kitchen!
  • cjh4q
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Leidigkr, we used a local cabinet refacing guy / carpenter in northern Virginia. The backsplash is Nova Gold limestone from Quarry Collection in 3x12.

Taurusgurl5984, the cabinets work and installation was $7-8k for about doors, drawers, end panels, crown moulding, sanding, painting, wine rack, and redoing the island in maple (so that could be stained). So not particularly inexpensive but more cost effective for us than doing a full remodel with new counters, etc. In a prior post, I noted a couple things that would have made it less expensive. The tile and installation was another $1.5k give or take. Though we have tiled in the past, we didn't DIY this time.

Cabingirl13, we did move up the cabinet over the stove. The vent was pretty low before and it was a way to break up the very long wall of cabinets. One suggestion, if you are replacing counters, it is worth having new cabinets priced out as an alternative. In a prior, smaller kitchen, we faced the same remodel question and ended up going with new cabinets as we were also planning to do the counters.
  • huntegreen
    10 years ago
    cjh4q - thanks for the cost info you replied to me and also here. I am also in N VA, can you share the refacing guys's name? Is that OK on houzz? The sad brown arched cabinet doors must be a VA thing....
  • PRO
    Sound Painting Solutions, LLC
    10 years ago
    Looks great! Nice job:)
  • cjh4q
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Huntegreen, search Pro Refinish in the Find A Pro section under Washington, DC.
  • PRO
    A House is Better
    10 years ago
    The cabinets have made such a different in the remodeling of this kitchen! Looks great
    cjh4q thanked A House is Better
  • PRO
    Virtus Design
    10 years ago
    Looks great!
    cjh4q thanked Virtus Design
  • huntegreen
    10 years ago
    Thank you for the information!
  • ajthepurple
    10 years ago
    Thank you!!! We have the same cabinets as your old ones -- we're discussing having new top cabinet doors made to get rid of the arch as well. Glad to see our ideas (white, full overlay, simpler style) played out! If only we didn't also have these terrible tiled countertops and backsplash (seriously, who chose that?!)!
  • PRO
    Studio NOO Design
    10 years ago
    Well done !!!
    cjh4q thanked Studio NOO Design
  • smarterthandog
    10 years ago
    Looks good! Under cabinet lighting would be a nice addition.
    cjh4q thanked smarterthandog
  • Jo
    10 years ago
    Your kitchen looks beautiful. We are in the planning stages of renovating our kitchen which is 21 years old. One of the contractors recommended we change our floor as the tile grout is stained. Did you consider changing your flooring or did you keep it as it looks very good? Thanks.
    cjh4q thanked Jo
  • cjh4q
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Jlkimber, we have a very open floorplan and I'm deferring the floor decision until we decide to change out flooring in the adjoining great room. I felt like the floors and counters (though not what I would pick out) were worth keeping... two big reasons to reface. If we were replacing either or both of those, we would have thought much harder about new cabinets.

On the grout, have you tried oxygen bleach? It can do wonders on dirty grout. That plus a steam cleaner. I did both on a test spot to see how the grout would look after a good clean as part of our decision making process. But that is only worth doing if you like the floor enough to keep...
  • Sue Geddes
    10 years ago
    Your kitchen looks amazing !! I am in the process of refacing my cabinets as well and I am wondering what material you used for your doors and side panels ? Wood or mdf ?
  • cjh4q
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Doors and side panels are wood. The island was done in maple.
  • Sue Geddes
    10 years ago
    Thank you so much.
  • PRO
    Lori Dennis, ASID, LEED AP
    10 years ago
    It's a beautiful resurface job.
    cjh4q thanked Lori Dennis, ASID, LEED AP
  • simikaye
    9 years ago
    Great job! What color did you use on the island?
  • cjh4q
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    The island is maple and the stain was color matched to our kitchen table (which is a round pedastal table from Potterybarn).