Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
webuser_137088

This product cracked in 2 weeks, why won't you stand by your product?

Karen
10 years ago
The Cambria Torquay was installed in my kitchen and 2 weeks later it cracked on the corner. I contacted the installers and Cambria immediately. Why aren't you willing to stand by your products?
Cambria Torquay from The Marble Collection · More Info

Comments (17)

• PRO
    Cambria
    10 years ago
    Hi Karen. We apologize for your frustration in regards to the lead time for the Torquay Design and the crack that resulted after installation. As you’re aware we had a Cambria Representative out to your home to evaluate the crack on January 9th, 2014. Per our conversation, cracks are a result of force and or pressure, direct or sustained heat, improper support or a combination of these factors. We certainly understand that you disagree with our position, therefore we have another Cambria Representative scheduled to visit your home on Friday, February 28th, 2014. We look forward to addressing your concerns at that time.
  • Tamara Gottlieb
    9 years ago
    What was the resolution?
  • J G
    9 years ago
    Would like to know the resolution as well because I'm considering getting a Cambria countertop but I'm hesitant now. Thanks
  • ca_mama
    9 years ago
    Same! Thanks
  • Olivia
    9 years ago
    Would also like to know how the company resolved the crack issue. For what it cost, and their answer is insinuating possibly too much force, or pressure or heat....or all three etc...
    I would not spend the money on it. Doesn't even look like a job a contractor would have to use excessive force or pressure to install!
  • whitekitchen12
    9 years ago

What result will come of the second visit? It sounds like the first visit determined that the company will not be replacing...

• c12281
    9 years ago

I too am considering Cambria Torquay for our kitchen but am hesitant after reading Cambria's response. What came of the second visit?

• rene012859
    8 years ago

I would like to know the outcome as well....

• whitekitchen12
    8 years ago
    What was the result of this conversation, please? After reading this we are also hesitant of going with a Cambria product.
  • Karen
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Hey guys, sorry for the delay in updating. There was pretty
    much no resolution with Cambria – I would stay away!

During the 2nd visit, they re-blamed the
    installers and me. There were visible divots
    and inclusions near the crack (and at other locations) that I believe caused a
    weak point. They took absolutely no responsibility. After roundabout
    conversations with many members of their organization, I finally posted
    multiple comments on social media (squeaky wheel over here!). After the bad
    social media publicity, they started to care and finally agreed to pay for ½
    the cost. I refused to have their inferior product in my house. I opted to pay
    the difference in material cost and went with Caesarstone’s London Gray. I LOVE
    my new countertops and am actually happy with this whole ordeal because the
    final product is significantly more beautiful than the Torquay. The Torquay looked more printed on top of a
    solid colored slab, whereas the London Gray has more depth. It’s hard to
    describe, but almost had a flesh/veiny depth that makes it look like real
    stone. Attached are photos that show the difference and pictures of the crack
    and divots.

As a side note – I worked for 5 years as a materials
    engineer at manufacturing company and specialized in product failures, that is
    why I am so certain it was a material defect.

CAMBRIA TORQUAY:

CAESARSTONE LONDON GRAY:

• rene012859
    8 years ago

Thanks for the follow up and your recommendation, too.

• whitekitchen12
    8 years ago
    Thank you very much for the update! I hope Cambria sees all of these lost prospective clients and will change their policy. I like the Torquay, but the poor customer service has turned me off and I'm sure many more who will be looking at these reviews.
  • PRO
    Cambria
    8 years ago

Thank you for the feedback and dialogue. We very much appreciate the interest in Cambria. All stone, including Cambria, may crack. Cracks usually occur due to heavy force or high temperatures being applied to the surface, and/or improper or uneven support under the countertop. Some cracks can be repaired or minimized, but some cannot.

Some additional background on Cambria:

• Cambria is manufactured in Le Sueur, Minnesota. We are proud of our American heritage and believe this not only helps to serve our customers better, but also helps us stay apprised of North American trends, deliver the broadest and most diverse stone palette in the world, and provide exceptional customer service.

• Cambria has 122 different designs. Feel free to count them and then count those offered by some of our largest foreign competitors. You’ll see ours is by far the largest, and all are offered at one price.

• Cambria is comprised of 93% pure quartz mined from the earth’s crust.

• Cambria is defined by the industry as “quartz” and quartz as noted by Consumer Reports and other reputable publications, is the number one recommended countertop surface, gaining in popularity versus granite and marble.

Thank you for taking the time to read this and learn more about our wonderful product and company. Keep the feedback coming!

Sincerely,
    Peter Martin
    Executive VP of Sales, Marketing and Business Partner Services
    p. 952-944-1676

• H H
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

This concerns me...we are about to put cambria in all of our bathrooms, bar and potentially kitchen. We heard that caeserstone was having some issues too...how have you liked it? Not sure I like Cambria's position on your issue!! We live in MN and have heard great things about it, but still have time to change our mind (and share this with our builder who does a lot of work in our Lk Mtka area).

• PAZ
    6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

I am totally kicking myself! We were originally set on Caesarstone. In fact, my order was already placed, but we had a month long construction delay which resulted in our color choice becoming unavailable and placed on a 10-12 week back order. At that point, we had been without a kitchen for 5 months and with 3 young kids, I was pressed to get the ball rolling. I looked at several Quartz samples and a Cambria color was the closest I could find as an alternative to the backordered first choice. I read all of the negative reviews on Houzz several times before deciding to take a chance and go with Cambria as it appeared their costumer service had improved over the past year. I so regret that decision. 10 days after the Cambria installation, we had a hairline crack develop in our island countertop. We had not even used the kitchen yet. The crack began in the corner of our stovetop cutout and spidered out towards our island overhang. All cabinetry was brand new construction and level. We also purposefully purchased the thick 3mm option, as we had heard the thickness would help protect against the cracking risk. Cambria has come to our house 3 times to address the crack, investigate the cause, drill two relief holes (one of which failed and the crack was able to continue growing past the hole), etc. We have wasted several hours discussing the situation with our fabricator/installer and Cambria reps. Even though they cannot conclusive determine the cause of the crack and all SOPs were followed, they insist cracks are not covered under the warranty and therefore our Cambria qualified fabricator/installer is to blame. Cambria will not back their product and has placed 100% of the replacement cost on the fabricator/installer. Shame on me for taking a chance with this company. I should have listened to all the people who have already been through this. Currently, it's a waiting game for us to see if the crack continues to grow past the second relief hole. I swear I can see it beginning to happen. If it does grow again and continues to the point where it reaches the edge of our counter, it will be a huge safety hazard and will have to be removed. At that point, there isn't a chance we'll be using Cambria as our replacement material and possibly not even Quartz either (from another company) unless we're able to find one with a warranty that covers cracks.

I

• jsbfan
    last year

Too bad. Cambria Torquay is so pretty. The way this was handled by Cambria reminds me of the 1985 Audi I bought when new. The one that was killing people. I was told (after numerous issues besides sudden accelaration).... that Audi of America does not make defective products, ( Must have been the way I drove it lol ) Time bears out the truth.