Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
thadtrick

curb appeal help-need to sell

thadtrick
10 years ago
Built in 1980 by my grandfather. He just passed away at 92. The house was not updated. Trying to sell it asap. Can't afford big changes. Looking to add mulch, paint door, shutters and trim. Add porch swing, entry mat and vase. Maybe change the light post. I'll take any suggestions, especially with the color paint. Would Benjamin Moore AF-300 dinner party (deep red) door, brushed nickel handles and black shutters work? what color posts and trim, white? Black mulch? Thanks!

Comments (7)

• hayleydaniels
    10 years ago
    Unless the house is in poor condition inside, I wouldn't worry too much about selling it with all that property--I assume it's the yard. If you really need to get rid of it quickly, you might contact a RE investor who pays cash for homes. My in-laws are in the 80s and have a large piece of property that is zoned for multi-dwellings, and were just contacted by such a person wanting to buy them out for cash. For the right price, it's a quick way to get rid of some property.
  • thadtrick
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    last modified: 10 years ago
    Thanks Hayley. The house is very, very outdated inside. The outside needs painted anyway so we thought we could change colors.
  • morriscoup
    10 years ago
    Sherwin-Williams: Intellectual Gray 7045 for body, SW6258 Tricorn Black for shutters, Trimmed out with SW 7042 Shoj White. Clean, tasteful, with enough pop for curb appeal. Take the Door black as well or choose a color.
  • morriscoup
    10 years ago
    I would take out the bush on the left of entry that makes the entry seem out of balance. Put dark mulch. Choose some shrubs or evergreens that stay less than 3ft tall and then add some color. If you want year around color and in the right zone try Calluna vulgaris 'Spring Torch' commonly called Scotch heather, Ling.
  • Denita
    10 years ago
    last modified: 10 years ago
    I agree with morriscoup's color suggestions above. Yes you want the house to appear clean and inviting so painting the posts, all the trim, and the gable vent in white will give the house friendly details. Black shutters work. Clean the roof in addition to the walkway. Trim up all of the landscaping the surrounding the house.

Hayley, just so you are aware, those cash deals from a RE investor are sold at wholesale pricing only so the original poster would get the absolute least value for the house. It is ok for some types of distressed sales, but the seller needs to know going in that pricing is way below market. For most people, this would not be a viable solution. In your in-law's case it sounds like it is a different issue: selling land to a developer for development.
  • lrhicks
    10 years ago
    Dark mulch and something to enliven the front entry - a deep, dark red on the porch would pull your eye there. Perhaps some bright, colorful annuals for a pop of color. Black or dark brown mulch will be nice as well.