Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mfbsoso

What color should I paint my circular tray ceiling in my kitchen nook?

Marge
10 years ago
last modified: 10 years ago
I posted this earlier but now have pictures of the ceiling in the kitchen nook. It has lots of windows so I am sure plenty of light will come in. The room is next to my kitchen that has a flat ceiling. The next room over is our Great Room and it has a tray ceiling I don't want to paint. The wall color is Believable Buff and the trim is a white color. The kitchen cabinets are cream glaze, the granite is a tan,white beige brown color. We have 3 alcoves that we painted Cardboard which is a darker hue than Believable Buff. Would this be too dark. Or could I paint it light blue which I love. Our Great room has lots of beige/tan in it with blue accents. Any help would really be appreciated. Thanks

Comments (9)

• Marge
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Here are the pictures.
  • Marge
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    More pictures that might help.
  • PRO
    Design Details
    9 years ago
    I think that maybe there is too much beige going on. Some tropical color would certainly make things more interesting. I don't have a problem with a light robin's egg on the ceiling, but I do think that wall colors belong on walls. The horizontal accent stripes on the ceiling make it seem heavy. I like the details on a ceiling to be subtle shadow lines that remind me of clouds.
    Marge thanked Design Details
  • PRO
    Brushed
    9 years ago
    A marbleized technique might be beautiful in the tray. I also love your overall color scheme and agree that integrating blue as your accent color would be nice through the use of accessories. I am attaching a tray ceiling shot in one of our dining rooms to explain what I mean by a "marbleized" technique --but this example, of course, is too dark for your space.
    Marge thanked Brushed
  • Marge
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    I love the marbleized technique for the tray ceiling. Could I do this in a light blue to make it look cloudish but not having actual clouds floating about? I love the swirls of colors.
  • PRO
    Brushed
    9 years ago
    You certainly could...it could look very coastal and have a very island or sunny Florida feel. The trick is to use subtlety without being garish. My personal favorites are always more natural color schemes, but I have also painted and glazed vaulted, tray & barrel ceilings with pale blues that really bring the outside in.
    Marge thanked Brushed
  • lefty47
    9 years ago
    HI -- Light blues do go with your color scheme but I think you should do something in the ceiling features . I think some wallpaper that has a sheen texture or tone on tone to it would look great and add some depth . It could even have a tint of blue to it. Paper that has a silver or gold leaf or some mica paper . There are cork papers that have some metallic backgrounds that are perfect for these type ceiling features . Candice Olson has some on her web site .
    Marge thanked lefty47
  • Jenn Troyan
    9 years ago
    Is the hanging fan over a table?