How can I improve the curb appeal here.

Christine Hayes
10 years ago
Looking to buy this house but unsure of curb appeal

Comments (5)

• PRO
    Carolyn Albert-Kincl, ASID
    10 years ago
    Flowers in those flower boxes would be a good start, and then I'd tear out the conctrete or whatever the surface is next to the house and extend the driveway further out, closer to the camera, to make up for lost driveway space.

The down spout must be removed from he driveway. The steps up to the house seem to be a confused assembly of different materials and should be reformed into a cohesive entry stairway, with plantings flanking it, or pots of greenery/flowers on it.

The garage seems to be a different color from the house and if that is the came, I would change it echo the colors of the house.

In the foreground of the photo is an opportunity for some beautiful landscaping. You have your work cut out for you, but nothing that you couldn't do over the next 3 months!
    Christine Hayes thanked Carolyn Albert-Kincl, ASID
  • lefty47
    10 years ago
    HI -- I would get rid of those little window boxes /planters . Put some large planters or a planting bed in front of the paving instead . Paint the facia trim board a dark color , maybe navy and paint the down spouts the same color as the siding . The down spouts should not be an accent . And the one down spout drain pipe could be redirected along the front and off to the right side , so it doesn't have to be stepped over . I would paint the whole garage the dark accent color so it will visually recede from the house .
    Christine Hayes thanked lefty47
  • PRO
    garden design online
    10 years ago
    Sure,there are many many good curb appeal,just need to good budget.
  • nwduck
    10 years ago
    A great multi-level deck entry along the whole front of the house would be great. Before I bought this house, though, I would check out the situation of water run off from the gutter system. The giant tubing from the entry corner clear out to the yard somehow screams "we had a big drainage issue here." No one designs that sort of thing intentionally. It can be mitigated with professional help, but I'd be sure to have the home inspector do a very good look around in the crawl space underneath the home.
  • PRO
    Cascio Associates - Site Planning - Landscape Arch
    8 years ago

A year has passed - did you buy it?

If so, here are a few more comments for your consideration.

a. remove all the pavement in front of the house.

b. dig a drywell and send all your roof drainage down a PVC pipe into it.

c. if you are keeping the front steps, paint the risers white, and add a handrail on the right side, so it does not interfere with furniture moving.

d. bring an entrance walk out along the dirt path (in last year's photo) to the street, and make a plant bed beneath that weeping dwarf tree at the right.

e. plant a tree in the corner of last year's dirt square, by the driveway, to filter out the garage from your guest's view during their approach to your warm welcome beyond.