Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kimbersoo

Help me with this dull dining room and tricky window- please! Out of

kimbersoo
10 years ago
My dining room is boring. Painted the room Macadamia like the living room - better than the old gold paint lighter, but dull. I purchased some nice silk consigned drapes but they don't look right..and still dull. And they look to small and I just don't know what to so with the odd window. I can't imagine liking 145" curtains either. So I threw in a bunch of blue pottery like the Williamson Sonoma catalog. Still hate it. I just got rid of my old dark green, red and gold Tuscan stuff. The rest if the house is camel, gray blue and gray green. I want a more transitional look without buying a new dining room set. I just updated the kitchen and living and need to fix this dull dining room affordably. The room is to the right of my front door and open to the living room. The window is in the very front of my house so it has to look good from the road too....help!!! I am out of ideas.

Comments (5)

• PRO
    User
    10 years ago
    Hello kimbersoo,

Several thoughts, in no particular order....

First, you might think about having slipcovers made for your entire chair. Pictures attached to explain. These could be sheer, which would add brightness and texture and interest, or could be a mini tonal pattern, which would also add brightness and texture.

Second, you might think about an area rug centered under your table to set the deep tones of the furniture apart from the floor.

Third, the drapery could actually be lower. At the moment it is not in line with anything architectural. Move it down to the top of the lower window and run it all the wall into the side walls, double or 2.5 fullness. This would make a bolder statement.

Fourth, you might think about painting again... I know... hateful, but you are unhappy. Think a different color all together... soft sage, soft blue, even off white, will provide contrast. Ben Moore Silken Pine or Coastal Fog or Elephant Tusk.

Fifth...artwork! You need something on the walls flanking the large hutch. Contemporary or stark... images below...

Sheer slipcover:
    "Farmhouse Chic" Master Bath · More Info

Great drapery fullness, slipcover pattern a bit large, but it provides an idea; good tonal rug:
    Brentwood Skyewiay · More Info

Textural slipcovers, tonal, adds texture:
    Beach House - Dining · More Info

Tonal drapery and great artwork:
    Phinney Umbrella House · More Info

Great tonal rug:
    The Vail · More Info

Great artwork:
    Dining Room · More Info

Tonal small print drapery, great artwork:
    Modern meets traditional home in the suburbs · More Info

Best of luck with your decorating and please let us know if we can be of further assistance,
    Elizabeth Cabell, ASID, CID
    Cabell Design Studio
  • PRO
    All About Blinds & Shutters
    10 years ago
    Kimbersoo - Maybe you should consider shades for window treatments. Shades can be very easily customized especially for uniquely shaped windows. Check out this blog on different kinds of shades to determine which would be the best fit for you. http://blog.allaboutblinds.net/window-shadings - All About Blinds in Jacksonville, FL
  • Angela Schneier
    10 years ago
    last modified: 10 years ago
    I'd like to see the draperies hung at a different spot. My first choice would be to hang them just below the crown molding. My second choice would be to hang them at the bottom of the arch. Here's an example of my first choice:

Beach Style Family Room · More Info
  • PRO
    flair lighting
    10 years ago
    heres the deal, if you are going to hang your light fixture that high it needs to be a little more full...or grand. other wise you can drop it down a little. help bring the room back down to eye level. every thing in the room is UP...nothing to bring your attention back down.
  • PRO
    flair lighting
    10 years ago
    move the drapes down to the top of the picture window, paint the bottom of that beam or doorway the same color as the walls, lower the light fixture...