Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mellaf84

Best sofa for our living room?!?! Need to buy today!

Mellaf84
10 years ago
Hi!! We need to buy a sofa and sectional for the living room. We've been debating between materials and colours for weeks... Help!! Any advice would be greatly appreciated!!
Thanks!
Stressed out owner.

Comments (30)

• Mellaf84
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Oh sorry I meant to say sofa and love seat! Thanks :)
  • leelee
    10 years ago
    Try taking your pictures at night when the light is in the room and not outside.

Please move the tiny table and floor lamp from beside the fireplace. No purpose. Replace with a palm or other indoor tree in that location.
  • indianpatti
    10 years ago
    Will you be getting an area rug as well?

I would go with a couch and 2 chairs rather than a loveseat .. more versatile.
  • tlparks
    10 years ago
    I agree with sofa and 2 chairs.
  • Mellaf84
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Yes we will be getting an area rug.

My husband wants a love seat because we often lay down separately on the sofas. However we were planning on getting a chair to put in front of the window (different colour than the sofas).
  • Cindy
    10 years ago
    Maybe your slip-of-the-tongue in the beginning is actually what you want! I can see a comfy sectional and a chair.
    Mellaf84 thanked Cindy
  • Mellaf84
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Towanda53, that's funny! I have always wanted a sectional but my husband finds it would be more awkward to get on the sofa... so it's pretty much out.
  • Mellaf84
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Thank you for the Patricia this is useful. The living room doesn't look as organized because we just moved in last week and everything is from our previous house.. we're planning on replacing a few things (like the sofas and lamps, although not the coffee and side tables).
  • Mellaf84
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    We have a plant (natural about 7 feet high) that we could perhaps move there.
  • User
    10 years ago
    I would definetly get 2 sofas over a sofa and a loveseat ( yesterday's child) ;)
  • Brandi Nash Hicks
    10 years ago
    No on the love seat ,either two sofas or a sofa and two chairs
  • Mellaf84
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Ok since 2 sofas don't fit we could do a sofa, a chair and a half and a chair.

For the arms of the sofas, which is more modern, a wide square arm or a narrow square arm? Those are 2 options of a sofa we saw the other day. I don't like modern furniture so that's why I'm asking...
  • PRO
    Ideal Design Elements LLC (iDe)
    10 years ago
    A tan linen, transitional style sectional would be great.
    Will go with everything-Test for comfort when you find this.
    Mellaf84 thanked Ideal Design Elements LLC (iDe)
  • Mellaf84
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Would you have a picture of that colour?!
  • PRO
    Ideal Design Elements LLC (iDe)
    10 years ago
    I used these for a client, with similar finishes and layout as yours!
    Updates the room. Remove the items around your fireplace too and add new items such as the ones in my photos.
  • mick50
    10 years ago
    Go with a neutral fabric like off white linen. You'll never get tired of it. You can change colors with throw pillows and accent pieces. Also get the narrow arm profile. Takes up less floor space and leaves more seating space.
  • groveraxle
    10 years ago
    last modified: 10 years ago
    A sofa--a good one--is a major purchase, so if you're not sure, please don't commit to buying today. Spend the day sitting, specifically on every sofa you can find. And if you don't like modern, don't look at sofas with square arms.

Here are a sofa and loveseat--yes, you can do a loveseat; sometimes it does fit one's needs--from Pottery Barn. Don't buy a matching set unless you want your room to look like a furniture showroom.

BTW, your fireplace has a beautiful simplicity. Please celebrate and enhance that by keeping the things around it simple to keep the fireplace the focal point. In this case, I've simply removed all the little stuff you have on either side. I know you need space for your components for which I previously suggested built ins on both sides.
  • groveraxle
    10 years ago
    And I know it's a major undertaking since it's already been mounted, but your TV really does need to come down closer to the mantel.
    Mellaf84 thanked groveraxle
  • PRO
    Mellaf84 thanked Warner Decor
  • klpollock
    10 years ago
    This would be a great choice if you were looking into getting a lot of use out of that beautiful window.
    Mellaf84 thanked klpollock
  • klpollock
    10 years ago
    You could also change one of those sofas out for a love seat, just an idea.
    Mellaf84 thanked klpollock
  • Janice Robinson
    10 years ago
    Can you do two couches facing each other, perpendicular to the fireplace?
    Mellaf84 thanked Janice Robinson
  • loves2read
    10 years ago
    There is a thread here about a woman who bought leather sofa and loveseat and lived to regret the purchase--
    she wanted to return after seeing them IN the room and store wasn't amenable to that--
    think after long hassle with management she was able to get a return and some store credit
    so whatever you buy make sure you can return w/o charge (except maybe delivery) whatever you get...

and make sure you SIT for some time on anything you want to buy...
    we bought some leather furniture--couch and two chairs with 1 ottoman to use since the space was small...
    the chairs are great but the couch isn't that comfortable--
    the area is smaller than at house we moved from--
    the couch we used there was great--comfortable, good for sitting or sleeping--should just have recovered it in solid twill or microsuede and bought the leather chairs... but we were afraid the style and size were a little too large for our current space...
    Mellaf84 thanked loves2read
  • Stacey
    10 years ago
    I think a deep red or burgundy sofa and love seat. Then a pretty
    chair with ottoman. Your room is really cozy and comfy looking.
    Mellaf84 thanked Stacey
  • Mellaf84
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Sorry for the delay!!

Ok we finally bought sofas! We first bought a brown fabric sofa and love seat, just to be told one week later that the fabric we chose was discontinued.... We went to buy a brown leather sofa and love seat (which we had seen and liked a few weeks back), again just to be told that they didn't make the sofa anymore, only the sectional!

So, after this, we actually ended up buying (as most of you suggested!), a reddish brown leather sofa and chair! We will also buy another chair, fabric (probably with an ottoman). The sofa and chair have the RH style. Here's the picture from the website (not the exact color and the leather we chose looks more natural and soft), I hope you like it!
  • Mellaf84
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Here's a picture of the leather (although it's not exact, this one looks more tan than the one we chose but it gives an idea!). It really picks up the colors in the flooring.
  • njmomma
    4 years ago

It is 5 years now......How is your leather sofa holding up and can you tell us the brand?

• Mellaf84
    Original Author
    4 years ago

@njmomma Actually it did not hold up that well unfortunately! Even with regular leather cleaning (It looked much older than it was). We actually just bought a new one to replace the big brown sofa and leather chair (see photo).

Now we need to paint we really want to lighten up the room! Any ideas?!??

• Mellaf84
    Original Author
    4 years ago

@njmomma sorry I forgot to mention we bought the brown leather sofa and chair at Upper Room in Ottawa.