Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
edie828

Granite vs. Quartizite

edie828
12 years ago
What is the difference? Which is this product? A local fabricator told us that granite was better but did not elaborate.
Madreperola Quartzite Polished Slab · More Info

Comments (12)

• lovetodecorate
    12 years ago
    It's all a matter of preference. People that love marble want to have the look but not the upkeep. Granite has lots of movement and to some people it's too busy. Quartzite is a natural stone that in durability is in between granite and marble..It's not as tough as granite but not porous like marble but still having that quiet look..I am going to have Antartide quartzite in my kitchen..It is so beautiful to me..It has crystals in it and the colors are very soft..Mine was resined which some people say can etch like a marble..Mine didn't do that..I threw everything at my unsealed quartizite and there was no etching or staining other than a little stain from the red wine..I was able to get it out very easily with peroxide and windex..my formula.. ;) Once it's sealed it will keep that stain at bay also..Actually, granite will also stain without a sealer..
  • edie828
    Original Author
    12 years ago
    Thank you. That explains a lot. We wanted to use this quartzite but it was waaay too expensive. We too feel like most granites were too busy but we found a great compromise with Wild Sea.
  • lovetodecorate
    12 years ago
    I had to look up Wild Sea because I never heard of it before. It's a beautiful stone!
  • charleee
    11 years ago
    Say it like it is, Larry!!
  • larryhinkle
    11 years ago
    last modified: 11 years ago
    Lol... You got me looking at quartzite and I found this quote on a design site featuring it that I think explains how I feel..

"Granite is durable, but really only belongs in Jersey McMansions"
  • charleee
    11 years ago
    Larry! Watch what you say about my beloved New Jersey!!!
  • charleee
    11 years ago
    Jayden! Yes! I totally agree with you.
  • PRO
    Town & Country Interiors LLC
    11 years ago
    We like Calcutta in Jersey too..LOL, and love and used Lagos Blue in a kitchen. Also the House Beautiful Kitchen of the year used Caesar stone as well it was great!!
  • Darzy
    11 years ago
    Several years ago I decided on QuartzSilestone instead of granite. It's not cheaper! you won't believe how many people "beat me up" about not installing granite. I hope I can say "I told you so." : )
  • charleee
    11 years ago
    Darzy, feel free, you def can!
  • Darzy
    11 years ago
    Thanks Bobbi! he he
Sponsored
Buckeye Basements, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars31 Reviews
Central Ohio's Basement Finishing ExpertsBest Of Houzz '13-'21