Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sewlovelybykelly

Need suggestions how to renovate and redesign this kitchen

We are in the process of buying this home and we will need to renovate this ugly kitchen. It's pretty large and had a newer extended eat in kitchen area. We are going to keep the cabinets for now and maybe just sand and stain. Also taking down wall paper and Tile and floors. Any ideas how we can make this design better by adding cabinets or tearing down a wall or adding more counters that wrap around etc? I'd like the kitchen to have Some sort of counter to eat at. We like open designs also. I feel like that back wall by the addition is wasted space right now. Also we do not want to spend a lot of money right now. We are planning on using fake granite stuff for counter for now. Thanks !

Comments (9)

• PRO
    Dytecture
    9 years ago
    Agreed with having an 'as built' set of drawings first in order to visualize the full potential of the renovation.
  • PRO
    PPF.
    9 years ago
    Could you draw and post a measured plan, not only of the kitchen space but also the surrounding rooms?
  • PRO
    Theresa Seabaugh Interior Design
    9 years ago
    Hi Kelly- I actually love the throwback tiles, but can understanding not wanting to start every morning with them. You have so much potential and space! I agree with Jeffrey that you should start with a designer-drawn plan. It will be the best investment that you every make. I understand your desire to save $, but I'd strongly advise doing it in pieces with the $ you have to spend. I would not advise putting in fake granite, if you want real granite. The labor $ is the same; save for what you really will love. This kitchen will be with you forever.
  • PRO
    Black Millwork Co.
    9 years ago
    This kitchen has potential very nice space to work with. I agree with Theresa. You don't want to get something to settle with like fake granite and then eventually change it. You'll just be wasting your money. You should get what you want. Starting with a design drawn plan and inspiration pictures first. A Kitchen Professional would be able to assist you in choosing the right kitchen cabinet and countertop within your budget and create a beautiful kitchen just for you. Good Luck!
  • PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    9 years ago
    I think this kitchen has potential but now is very poorly laid out, as far as the cabinets I would gut and start allover and I would spend monney on cabinets before REAL granite all the granite in the world won't make crappy cabinets and layout work. By the way I have been using Ikea cabinets in my design business for 20 tears and have had 2 warranty claims in that time both of which were resolved with in days. I have one kitchen of my own which is 15 yrs. old a still looks awesome. I think you have a ton of purely wasted space and trying to add cabinets to even come close to matching what you have will be impossible. I know you want to get going but i would make a very detailed floor plan and take it with you to an Ikea store if you have one near and let them help you realize the potential of this space and also try and find out if you can remove the wall between the 2 spaces it will totally change how you design it. Also I think granite has been done to death and Formica 180 FX is awesome and very affordable so check it out for counters.
  • PRO
    Sew Lovely By Kelly
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    Thanks. We plan to do a lot of the labor ourselves. And don't have the money to spend on our dream kitchen now so just trying to get thoughts on how to quickly and cheaply renovate it so that it at least looks better for the time being.
  • brickln
    9 years ago
    On a limited budget, all I would change for now are the floor and counters. Rather than stain, I'd paint the cabinets and go with a cheerful, retro look.
  • PRO
    Paula Madrid Interiors
    9 years ago
    i would also recommend that you consider getting a small island type cabinet if the space is large enough. This may help you to break up the space a bit and add appeal. you may be able to paint the wall (after removing the wall paper) in a color that matches but complements the tile work such as a gray… and if budget is really tight, then perhaps update the hardware on the cabinets, sand them down to get rid of the shine.. if possible, consider lowering the cabinets that are by the stove.. too high makes them look outdated in this space. Also consider a chandelier in the middle (if you add an island or table) as it will give the space a great look. Happy to give you ideas of affordable ones! best of luck!