What color to paint toddlers room. All pics included!
Polly K
What paint color should I do for my daughter's room? I'm doing this lighting and this rug. I was thinking an off white with white moldings. I will eventually do a white iron day bed with crystal finials. My house is a 1915 Dutch Colonial and I like to keep that feel.
Rebecca Mitchell Interiors & Boutique
If you hope to add a white iron day bed, think about how it will look against the walls. I don't think a white bed against white walls is very good. A soft pink (although predictable) or a very soft green might work. Good luck from Montreal!
May 15, 2014 at 5:31PM     
Polly K
Thanks! Even if I do a stark white bed against off white and then light pink bedding? Thanks for your help!
May 15, 2014 at 5:32PM   
redpoint
What's her favorite color? I know all my kids when they were little had very strong opinions on color. I'd forget about the style and ask her. Or chose a few options and ask her which one she likes best.
May 15, 2014 at 5:33PM     
studio10001
I love white on white in a bedroom, and think your choices will look delicate and softly beautiful. Lovely idea.[houzz=
]
May 15, 2014 at 5:37PM   
Rebecca Mitchell Interiors & Boutique
I don't think stark white bed against off white is going to be that effective either:( I wouldn't add any other colours than those in the rug and the chandeliers. Maybe you should consider getting a another bed frame colour - light green or a colour from the rug? P.S. I wouldn't ask a toddler what colour or style she wants in her room (unless you want a red and yellow Elmo room or more likely a Disney princess room!). As an interior designer and mom of two teenagers I can tell you that children change their likes and dislikes about a lot. When she's older she can help pick out some accent pieces (cushions, table lamp, etc.).
May 15, 2014 at 5:37PM     
May 15, 2014 at 5:41PM   
jengregory
The rug and lighting are beautiful and I love your description of the bed. I think the painting scheme you describe will be pretty. I also think painting the walls a very pale green would be nice.
May 15, 2014 at 5:43PM     
Lori Dennis, ASID, LEED AP
Sweet peach would look so pretty!
May 15, 2014 at 5:52PM   
Polly K
Thanks Rebecca Mitchell! I'm going to see frame color choices for the iron bed. Iron beds aren't easy to find in the first place. Also my toddler is 18 months so definitely no chance in asking her about color. Lol. My prob now is that this rug had been on back order and now expected ship date is September. It was originally March. The brand is dash and albert. Just worried about matching paint color to a rug that may never come in! The lights I already have though!
May 15, 2014 at 5:54PM   
Rebecca Mitchell Interiors & Boutique
If you are looking at a bed frame in a colour (not white) than the off-white walls will be fine with your D&A rug regardless. So I think you are okay. If you decide to paint the walls a colour and keep the white bed frame, then why not go for a soft green as there are several in the rug and you're bound to be close to one of them.
May 15, 2014 at 6:05PM     
Polly K
Thanks Rebecca! The iron day beds don't really come in many colors. What are some light green Benjamin Moore colors that you like? Also do you like a stark white trim and if so which Benjamin Moore white trim color do you like? Thx!
May 15, 2014 at 6:23PM   
Rebecca Mitchell Interiors & Boutique
Polly - Pale Vista (see picture) is a nice light green. I would get this paint chip from your local store and then see if any others appeal to you more.
May 15, 2014 at 6:27PM     
Polly K
Thanks Rebecca! What stark white trim colors do you like?
May 15, 2014 at 6:29PM   
Rebecca Mitchell Interiors & Boutique
Here are all three elements together for you to better visualize...
May 15, 2014 at 6:29PM     
Rebecca Mitchell Interiors & Boutique
The starkest white I use is Decorator's White but I prefer Oxford White for trim. Especially in a vintage-inspired room like yours.
May 15, 2014 at 6:30PM     
Rebecca Mitchell Interiors & Boutique
Looking at these elements together, I am not loving the pink sconces on the green walls. White sconces on green walls would be better. Or pink sconces on white walls. But this doesn't solve your iron bed problem!
May 15, 2014 at 6:32PM     
Polly K
Rebecca I will check the white shades too! I already have the lights and the sconces match the main light they are crystorama. What suggestions do you have for vintage beds and colors if not iron? Maybe light pink wood furniture? That way I could do the off white walls. What shades of Benjamin Moore off white do you like? Thx for all your help!
May 15, 2014 at 6:35PM   
Rebecca Mitchell Interiors & Boutique
I'd rather go with off white furniture and light pink walls. Here's a little girl's room I did that will help you visualize. Her furniture is timeless and we kept the walls very neutral so she can change the accent colours as she becomes a teenager. You might like this style furniture... I'm signing off now. Hope this has helped. For off-white I would go with the classic Cloud White.
May 15, 2014 at 6:44PM   
Polly K
Thanks Rebecca! That room is gorgeous! What color are those walls? They look tan-ish which I'm not opposed to if you think it looks good with the pink sconces and some sort of white furniture. I am also doing a baby's room and I think I want that room to be pink. Don't want to do two rooms with pink walls! Lol
May 15, 2014 at 6:48PM   
BabyBox
Polly, I run babybox.com and we have done a crib and custom linens that match this rug often. Have ideas for linens if you are interested. Just did an order for a client Tuesday and had done her crib and linens, then purchased the sienna rose to match. Btw, the rug is not as pink as it looks online. Text or call me at ktype@babybox.com
May 15, 2014 at 7:02PM   
BabyBox
Polly, are you wed to doing iron beds. We have three companies we work with that do beautiful iron but have some suggestions for painted wood that you would love.
May 15, 2014 at 7:09PM   
BabyBox
Polly, we have a gorgeous embroidered overlay fabric that perfectly compliments the colors in the rug and we could do tie backs for window treatments as well.
May 15, 2014 at 7:21PM   
Rebecca Mitchell Interiors & Boutique
Forgot to attach this photo of the girl's bed. FYI
WALLS: OC-16 (CEDAR KEY) - EGGSHELL
TRIM/DOORS: CC-30 (OXFORD WHITE) – SATIN
CEILING: CC-30 (OXFORD WHITE) – FLAT
May 16, 2014 at 3:21AM     
Polly K
Thx Rebecca. Do you think a more tan color would go better with the pink sconces? I'd like to do an off white molding prob is that I don't want to have too many molding colors in the house and the barrooms for instance are more of a stark white. I.e. Stark white Wainscotting. Is it bad to do different molding colors throughout the home?
May 16, 2014 at 3:53AM   
Rebecca Mitchell Interiors & Boutique
Stick with the same moulding colour you have throughout the house. I don't think this colour is tan - might appear that way on your monitor. It is more beige with a slight pink tint. Polly, you have to get some paint chip samples and bring them home and see in your space. I wish I was in your area to help you out but you might need to hire someone to advise you. It's worth the investment to get this right. I do e-design but I'm swamped at the moment. Sorry!
May 16, 2014 at 3:55AM     
Barnhart Gallery
Hi Polly -- I've taken a white molding and paired it with a medium beige from the ormolu design in your timeless rug, so that the pink things she chooses don't become a sea of pink on pink, and it can easily evolve to an older look as the years fly by. I like a few touches of Ralph Lauren Village Mews with your rug. http://www.etsy.com/search?q=pink%20art%20pair&ship_to=US
May 16, 2014 at 6:31AM     
studio10001
Three cheers!!
May 16, 2014 at 7:09AM     
Gray & Walter, Ltd.
Try soft pink on the walls (imagine the interior of a conch shell) with pale mossy-celadon moldings!!
May 16, 2014 at 7:15AM   
BabyBox
Polly, I am the owner of BabyBox.com and would love a moment to speak to you personally as I have done so many rooms in the color palette that you are considering and have so many recommendations. Please call me at 203.655.0185 when you have a moment and I will email you photos
May 16, 2014 at 7:29AM   
Genevieve
A light green will look great with pink
Eclectic Kids
Ballerina Dress
May 16, 2014 at 7:44AM     
Polly K
Thanks Barnhart gallery! What color Benjamin Moore paint are you thinking?
May 16, 2014 at 10:11AM   
Barnhart Gallery
If you can get your hands on a fan deck from the paint store to try with the rug, I'd look at these for starters:
[houzz=Brandon Beige 977 by Benjamin Moore] [houzz=Natural Linen by Benjamin Moore] [houzz=Quincy Tan hc 25 Benjamin Moore] [houzz=Benjamin Moore Huntington Beige HC-21] [houzz=Benjamin Moore Temporal Spirit Paint] [houzz=Clay Beige OC-11 Paint]

From what I see on my monitor, I'd lean towards the Brandon Beige, Quincy Tan, or maybe Huntington.
May 16, 2014 at 10:39AM     
Genevieve
Come on !! Beige ! its boring and it's not cheerful at all .
May 16, 2014 at 10:49AM   
Barnhart Gallery
Sometimes all of the bright and colorful things in a child's space need a quiet backdrop against which to shine.
May 16, 2014 at 10:59AM     
Genevieve
And yet we are so happy and able to have those quiet moments when we see Nature's colours .
May 16, 2014 at 11:50AM   
laurakdesigns
I suggest a historical color that's still youthful and will look great with a white iron bed. BM. Georgian green

May 16, 2014 at 12:12PM     
Polly K
Too bad Rebecca! Would have been nice to work together! Thanks for all your suggestions!!
May 16, 2014 at 1:06PM     
fos5
I think you will find Benjamin Moore cc 158 apple blossom, (a soft subdued pink) or the new PPG (Pittsburg paint) Frank Lloyd Wright pallet FLL742 Wright Cloud White, a very soft green a nice background for the white bed and rug. Lucky little girl.
May 17, 2014 at 4:34AM     
Rebecca Mitchell Interiors & Boutique
Feel free to message me the occasional question if you are really stuck:)
May 17, 2014 at 4:46AM     
Polly K
Thx everyone! I ended up doing vanilla ice cream Benjamin Moore with decorators white molding!
May 24, 2014 at 7:26AM     
grobby
Would like to show us a picture of the finished room. Love the rug.
May 24, 2014 at 11:34AM   
Polly K
I will show a pic when it's finished although it's going to take a while and the rug is on back order until September. I will have waited almost a year for it to arrive!
May 24, 2014 at 12:02PM   
Polly K
Pics! Vanilla ice cream with decorators white molding. Rug is on back order so not In The pic yet.
May 28, 2014 at 6:33PM     
Fireplace help!
Here is my fireplace it right by the kitchen. I like...
Need help to minimize off center horizontal window
This window is in a dining room turned into multipurpose...
linear fireplace / tv in corner
I would like ideas for making walls look taller/ceiling...
Adding character to new construction
I know you can always add character with furniture,...
Mega problem!
Need advice on art for my fireplace wall. It is a...