Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
pugmomma3

What color to paint toddlers room. All pics included!

P O
9 years ago
What paint color should I do for my daughter's room? I'm doing this lighting and this rug. I was thinking an off white with white moldings. I will eventually do a white iron day bed with crystal finials. My house is a 1915 Dutch Colonial and I like to keep that feel.

Comments (45)

• PRO
    Rebecca Mitchell Interiors
    9 years ago
    If you hope to add a white iron day bed, think about how it will look against the walls. I don't think a white bed against white walls is very good. A soft pink (although predictable) or a very soft green might work. Good luck from Montreal!
  • P O
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    Thanks! Even if I do a stark white bed against off white and then light pink bedding? Thanks for your help!
  • redpoint
    9 years ago
    What's her favorite color? I know all my kids when they were little had very strong opinions on color. I'd forget about the style and ask her. Or chose a few options and ask her which one she likes best.
  • studio10001
    9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago
    I love white on white in a bedroom, and think your choices will look delicate and softly beautiful. Lovely idea.[houzz=
    Dreamy Whites · More Info
    ]
  • PRO
    9 years ago
    I don't think stark white bed against off white is going to be that effective either:( I wouldn't add any other colours than those in the rug and the chandeliers. Maybe you should consider getting a another bed frame colour - light green or a colour from the rug? P.S. I wouldn't ask a toddler what colour or style she wants in her room (unless you want a red and yellow Elmo room or more likely a Disney princess room!). As an interior designer and mom of two teenagers I can tell you that children change their likes and dislikes about a lot. When she's older she can help pick out some accent pieces (cushions, table lamp, etc.).
  • PRO
    Lori Dennis, ASID, LEED AP
    9 years ago
    Sweet peach would look so pretty!
  • P O
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    Thanks Rebecca Mitchell! I'm going to see frame color choices for the iron bed. Iron beds aren't easy to find in the first place. Also my toddler is 18 months so definitely no chance in asking her about color. Lol. My prob now is that this rug had been on back order and now expected ship date is September. It was originally March. The brand is dash and albert. Just worried about matching paint color to a rug that may never come in! The lights I already have though!
  • PRO
    9 years ago
    If you are looking at a bed frame in a colour (not white) than the off-white walls will be fine with your D&A rug regardless. So I think you are okay. If you decide to paint the walls a colour and keep the white bed frame, then why not go for a soft green as there are several in the rug and you're bound to be close to one of them.
  • P O
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    Thanks Rebecca! The iron day beds don't really come in many colors. What are some light green Benjamin Moore colors that you like? Also do you like a stark white trim and if so which Benjamin Moore white trim color do you like? Thx!
  • PRO
    9 years ago
    Polly - Pale Vista (see picture) is a nice light green. I would get this paint chip from your local store and then see if any others appeal to you more.
  • P O
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    Thanks Rebecca! What stark white trim colors do you like?
  • PRO
    9 years ago
    Here are all three elements together for you to better visualize...
  • PRO
    9 years ago
    The starkest white I use is Decorator's White but I prefer Oxford White for trim. Especially in a vintage-inspired room like yours.
  • PRO
    9 years ago
    Looking at these elements together, I am not loving the pink sconces on the green walls. White sconces on green walls would be better. Or pink sconces on white walls. But this doesn't solve your iron bed problem!
  • P O
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    Rebecca I will check the white shades too! I already have the lights and the sconces match the main light they are crystorama. What suggestions do you have for vintage beds and colors if not iron? Maybe light pink wood furniture? That way I could do the off white walls. What shades of Benjamin Moore off white do you like? Thx for all your help!
  • PRO
    9 years ago
    I'd rather go with off white furniture and light pink walls. Here's a little girl's room I did that will help you visualize. Her furniture is timeless and we kept the walls very neutral so she can change the accent colours as she becomes a teenager. You might like this style furniture... I'm signing off now. Hope this has helped. For off-white I would go with the classic Cloud White.
  • P O
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    Thanks Rebecca! That room is gorgeous! What color are those walls? They look tan-ish which I'm not opposed to if you think it looks good with the pink sconces and some sort of white furniture. I am also doing a baby's room and I think I want that room to be pink. Don't want to do two rooms with pink walls! Lol
  • PRO
    BabyBox
    9 years ago
    Polly, I run babybox.com and we have done a crib and custom linens that match this rug often. Have ideas for linens if you are interested. Just did an order for a client Tuesday and had done her crib and linens, then purchased the sienna rose to match. Btw, the rug is not as pink as it looks online. Text or call me at ktype@babybox.com
  • PRO
    BabyBox
    9 years ago
    Polly, are you wed to doing iron beds. We have three companies we work with that do beautiful iron but have some suggestions for painted wood that you would love.
  • PRO
    BabyBox
    9 years ago
    Polly, we have a gorgeous embroidered overlay fabric that perfectly compliments the colors in the rug and we could do tie backs for window treatments as well.
  • PRO
    9 years ago
    Forgot to attach this photo of the girl's bed. FYI
    WALLS: OC-16 (CEDAR KEY) - EGGSHELL
    TRIM/DOORS: CC-30 (OXFORD WHITE) – SATIN
    CEILING: CC-30 (OXFORD WHITE) – FLAT
  • P O
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    Thx Rebecca. Do you think a more tan color would go better with the pink sconces? I'd like to do an off white molding prob is that I don't want to have too many molding colors in the house and the barrooms for instance are more of a stark white. I.e. Stark white Wainscotting. Is it bad to do different molding colors throughout the home?
  • PRO
    9 years ago
    Stick with the same moulding colour you have throughout the house. I don't think this colour is tan - might appear that way on your monitor. It is more beige with a slight pink tint. Polly, you have to get some paint chip samples and bring them home and see in your space. I wish I was in your area to help you out but you might need to hire someone to advise you. It's worth the investment to get this right. I do e-design but I'm swamped at the moment. Sorry!
  • PRO
    Barnhart Gallery
    9 years ago
    Hi Polly -- I've taken a white molding and paired it with a medium beige from the ormolu design in your timeless rug, so that the pink things she chooses don't become a sea of pink on pink, and it can easily evolve to an older look as the years fly by. I like a few touches of Ralph Lauren Village Mews with your rug.
    http://www.etsy.com/search?q=pink%20art%20pair&ship_to=US
  • studio10001
    9 years ago
    Three cheers!!
  • PRO
    Gray & Walter, Ltd.
    9 years ago
    Try soft pink on the walls (imagine the interior of a conch shell) with pale mossy-celadon moldings!!
  • PRO
    BabyBox
    9 years ago
    Polly, I am the owner of BabyBox.com and would love a moment to speak to you personally as I have done so many rooms in the color palette that you are considering and have so many recommendations. Please call me at 203.655.0185 when you have a moment and I will email you photos
  • Geneviève
    9 years ago
    A light green will look great with pink
    Eclectic Kids · More Info

Ballerina Dress · More Info
  • P O
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    Thanks Barnhart gallery! What color Benjamin Moore paint are you thinking?
  • PRO
    Barnhart Gallery
    9 years ago
    If you can get your hands on a fan deck from the paint store to try with the rug, I'd look at these for starters:
    [houzz=
    Brandon Beige 977 by Benjamin Moore · More Info
    ] [houzz=
    Natural Linen by Benjamin Moore · More Info
    ] [houzz=
    Quincy Tan hc 25 Benjamin Moore · More Info
    ] [houzz=
    Benjamin Moore Huntington Beige HC-21 · More Info
    ] [houzz=
    Benjamin Moore Temporal Spirit Paint · More Info
    ] [houzz=
    Clay Beige OC-11 Paint · More Info
    ]

From what I see on my monitor, I'd lean towards the Brandon Beige, Quincy Tan, or maybe Huntington.
  • Geneviève
    9 years ago
    Come on !! Beige ! its boring and it's not cheerful at all .
  • PRO
    Barnhart Gallery
    9 years ago
    Sometimes all of the bright and colorful things in a child's space need a quiet backdrop against which to shine.
  • Geneviève
    9 years ago
    And yet we are so happy and able to have those quiet moments when we see Nature's colours .
  • laurakdesigns
    9 years ago
    I suggest a historical color that's still youthful and will look great with a white iron bed. BM. Georgian green
    http://houzz.com/photos/5633549
  • P O
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    Too bad Rebecca! Would have been nice to work together! Thanks for all your suggestions!!
  • fos5
    9 years ago
    I think you will find Benjamin Moore cc 158 apple blossom, (a soft subdued pink) or the new PPG (Pittsburg paint) Frank Lloyd Wright pallet FLL742 Wright Cloud White, a very soft green a nice background for the white bed and rug. Lucky little girl.
  • PRO
    9 years ago
    Feel free to message me the occasional question if you are really stuck:)
  • P O
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    Thx everyone! I ended up doing vanilla ice cream Benjamin Moore with decorators white molding!
  • grobby
    9 years ago
    Would like to show us a picture of the finished room. Love the rug.
  • P O
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    I will show a pic when it's finished although it's going to take a while and the rug is on back order until September. I will have waited almost a year for it to arrive!
  • P O
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    Pics! Vanilla ice cream with decorators white molding. Rug is on back order so not In The pic yet.
  • P O
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    Here is a pic! Room is still coming along!!
  • fos5
    9 years ago

A beautiful color for this room is Benjamin Moore CC-158 Apple Blossom. Will pull it all together with that lovely rug.