Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bellyfreese

West facing sunroom window treatments needed in new build

bellyfreese
9 years ago
I need sun/heat protection here and continuity given the height of the 2 sliders. The large window is the largest issue. To complicate matters the west view is outstanding! Could really use some advice...thanks

Comments (9)

• PRO
    Solar-screen-shades.com
    9 years ago
    Solar screen shades can be a very good option here. Take a look at our gallery for some more ideas. You can see them at http://www.solar-screen-shades.com
    bellyfreese thanked Solar-screen-shades.com
  • PRO
    SOLARIS
    9 years ago
    Window film is the best combination of sun protection and clear view, period. There are lots of options depending upon the look you want to achieve and energy performance desired. Fade protection for your furnishings will be an additional bonus. Visit www.vista-films.com to find a professional near you or contact us if you are in Indiana. Good luck!
    bellyfreese thanked SOLARIS
  • bellyfreese
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    Thanks for your suggestions, however, I'm concerned about window film on low-e glass. I've read that that application could actually create just the opposite affect I'm trying to achieve.
  • PRO
    SOLARIS
    9 years ago
    Hmm, not sure what information you may have read about window film and low-e glass but I will try to clarify the basics of how window film works.

Window film works to control the solar energy by either reflecting the suns rays (like a mirror), letting some pass through into the home with the remainder being absorbed by the glass. Low-e windows have a coating on one of the glass surfaces that works kind of like window film to control the energy. Low emissivity means the window is more effective at keeping heat inside your home during cold months. Some low-e coatings will also be solar control or low solar gain which means they will reject summer heat. This info is on that little NFRC label on your new windows.

Since window film is an aftermarket addition, it will change the performance of the window unit with the focus being UV reduction and solar heat gain reduction (less heat coming in during hot months). There are films that will not be acceptable to add to your window, a professional will know what types of film are best for your needs and what will perform best on your low-e glass.

Most of the windows we apply film to these days are low-e glass. Our clients want the additional control over the excess heat and glare. Our most popular product is actually a Low-e window film that takes your good window and makes it even better performing, year-round. Visit www.enerlogicfilm.com to learn more about how this film works. Here is another image of enerlogic on a home where they removed the existing blinds to keep the view.

Happy to help with any questions you may have.
    bellyfreese thanked SOLARIS
  • bellyfreese
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    Thanks for your information Solaris, I will research further...
  • feeny
    9 years ago
    Dark solar shades (which you can see through when down), mounted in the ceiling if possible and lowering electronically would be ideal for afternoon glare. Lighter colored ones would also look great, but they block the view more.
    Insolroll Interior Solar Shade · More Info
  • PRO
    Pleotint LLC
    9 years ago
    It seems like you would be a great candidate for our suntuitive self tinting windows. Our windows tint from the heat of the sun so they are tinted when you need them to be and clear when you don't! Our windows are some of the most energy efficient windows on the market. They allow you to preserve your view, block harmful UV rays and help reduce excess heat gain. Be careful when considering film applications as they can often void your windows warranty or cause them to crack from the intense heat. You can check us out at www.suntuitive.com
  • bellyfreese
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    Thank you Pleotint, I will continue check out your site, and continue researching.