Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
barbara_farmer68

ideas to update this 1974 Florida gem

Barbara Farmer
14 days ago

Just purchased this sweet 50 year old stucco home. Front needs updating and spicing up. HELP!

Comments (5)

• PRO
  • marylut
    12 days ago

New garage door. Different style (and larger) light. Less lawn and eco-friendly plantings and ground cover if it is a maintenance nightmare in your FLA climate. Your home IS a gem!

• PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    12 days ago
    last modified: 12 days ago

Lucky you what a fab find. A new front door and garage door for sure proabbly MCM style at least that is what I would do. The landscping id FLA is a big issue I think the patio doors do not really make sense where tey are and for sure the area in front of them is a mess. Is there a way to show us on graph paper exactly how the home sits on the lot showing what rooms are where. Google MCM landscaping in FLA you will get awesome ideas I love the more scuptural designs and they work well in FLA No pretty beds filled with stuff for sure those are too traditional for that home

• PRO
    Norwood Architects
    12 days ago

Garage door was the first thing that struck me. It's ok but a much better selection could be made that would enhance your house. As Patricia Colwell suggest - new front door. Would suggest the door include glass or be mostly glass. The landscaping could use a refresh. The roof looks like it has some age on it. If it is nearly its lifespan would suggest replace it with a darker color to give the house more presence. It's a very nice house!

• PRO
    BeverlyFLADeziner
    11 days ago

A bit of updated landscaping and addressing the garage door, but don't take away the charm of this home.

Depending on what wind zone in FLA you're in. will limit what garage door options you have. Don't be in a hurry to get rid of this existing door. You might want to go over it instead.

When the garage guy pulls a permit to replace a garage door, the door you select has to match doors that can be used in your zone. If you simply remodel your door, you have more options.

I had a garage door from 1988 and it rusted through. When I went to purchase the new door, I had to purchase a wind-rated door without windows. It was $$$ and after going through Hurricane Ian, I can tell you that all my neighbors that still had the old doors had NO ISSUES with their doors. Where my door bent and heaved and was a total loss..

There are products out there that you apply over your existing door.

Sponsored
J.S. Brown & Co.
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars77 Reviews
Columbus Leading Full Service Design Build Firm