Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
cmondini01

Where can I buy large art without breaking the bank?

cmondini01
9 years ago
In a lot of the pictures on this site show see beautiful pieces of framed and canvassed art that are very large. Where can I get them at the cheapest price possible? I live in San Francisco if that helps.

Your tips are greatly appreciated!

Comments (13)

• leemiller
    9 years ago
    I just bought a pair of photographs from eye buy art and custom frames from American frame. Lots of sites are around like that. Photography may be easier than paintings depending on how picky you are. Etsy is another option. Auctions, estate sales etc.
  • leemiller
    9 years ago
    But honesty IMO you need to expect to spend something over $1,500-$2,000 framed at least to get something decent and the sky is the limit.
  • grandebouche
    9 years ago
    Commission a student artist at your local art college?
  • PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    9 years ago
    I rarely buy framed art I like just the canvas stretched or something very simple in a frame. I agree with grandebouche , check out art colleges in your area , find an artist's work you like and see about getting some custom work done.
  • PRO
    A Design Eye
    9 years ago
    Perhaps think outside the box. Find something or lots of somethings that could be framed, for instance and just off the hip; colorful wrappers, or faux butterflies or magazines. . Good Luck!
  • User
    9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago
    Go to local art fairs and get the names of artists in your area. There are often artists who are not yet well known or are just starting out and looking for new clients for their portfolios. You may just find someone whose style really resonates with you.
  • PRO
    BetterWall
    9 years ago
    Since you live in San Francisco, you may want to consider an authentic street banner from one of our local museums, SFMOMA, de Young, Asian Art Museum, Contemporary Jewish Museum, or Legion of Honor.

We at BetterWall represent these plus another 30 art museums selling their authentic street banners to people to put in their homes and offices as spectacular wall art. As unique objects produced in limited editions, the banners embody great art, great museums, and contemporary advertising trends.

Priced between $300 - $800.
    We have over 120 from which to choose from at www.betterwall.com

Here are a few examples from SF museums. The recent SFMOMA Diebenkorn exhibition, plus Robert Bechtle, and then Degas and Yves Saint Laurent from the de Young Museum.
  • hayleydaniels
    9 years ago
    Since you live in a very wealthy area, keep your eyes out for garage sales. My son and DIL have a couple of HUGE pictures in their home that I assume they got at a garage sale as they also live in a very wealthy area.
  • Allison Duke
    6 years ago
    Check out duke.paints here on Houzz. Very popular.
  • havingfun
    6 years ago

yes, i have had a few from garage sales, better is estate sales. i also do charity thrift and auctions and antique stores. remember these not only for your artwork but your frames. yes, if it is oil or the all purpose, i do not frame. only water colors etc. other places i do well are etsy and saatchiart.

• Irene Morresey
    6 years ago
    Etsy for sure
  • kulrn
    6 years ago

Etsy is where I found my large canvas.

XL Canvas Painting Original Art Forest Dream Large · More Info

Abstract Oil Painting Contemporary Art Hand Made Large Art · More Info
    zgallarie has some very large pieces as well as High Fashion home.
    Stir About 2 | Canvas Artwork | Art by Type | Art | Z Gallerie · More Info

Acrylic Painting Large Original Abstract Canvas Wall Art by · More Info

Leftbank Art Herd of Cattle II · More Info

Graffiti Left Bank Art · More Info