Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jc1rules

lack luster living room with fantastic view.

Jaemie Walde
9 years ago
I'm at a loss as to how to jazz up my living room using my husbands manly leather set. I want a bit more shone and glam with a slight Spanish Caribbean feel. Not sure what to do w tye windows....curtains, blinds or shades. .... dining table feels off too. Help? Any suggestions?

Comments (14)

• Jaemie Walde
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    Thanks. This is a newly painted and I really love the colour. tea leaf. (I also hv the accent wall by the dining table in hibiscus that I painted just to tie in the couch). The black things are words "love" " home" over each window. Over the coffee table is a curly branch that they use slot here in Norway as natural decoration. its filling in until I find a lighting fixture I want.
  • libradesigneye
    9 years ago
    The warmer woods and oxblood leather make the bright white trim feel off to me - think the tea leaf is a great neutral wall tone but the white is popping where it shouldn't. . . a darker white - sw stucco http://www.sherwin-williams.com/homeowners/color/find-and-explore-colors/paint-colors-by-family/SW7569-stucco/
    would help. Can't imagine hibiscus . .sounds dreadful but maybe it is beautiful. . Perhaps look for / make some slipcovers with pads and skirts that wrap with velcro for the dining chairs . .maybe in chocolate to bring some dark over there
    beautiful fiord view . . .i love the branch tradition

nordic style is very unique to itself, much more handcrafted . . Come fall, it seems that drapery (that can be open) will be very important for a feeling of warmth . . to provide privacy to the side where leaves will fall . . . and help the space be cozy at night. . . you may need the fancy remote controlled shades mounted in the frames to deal with the windows at the stairwell, but I would recommend layering drapery that sit open between the windows 99% of the time for softness, sound control, color . .. with the cordovan leather, and the hearty woods, adding in more linen tones, more buff / yellow based tans like camel will help keep it warm and tie it all together . . camel drapery panels - velvet for winter, linen for summer . .
    Jaemie Walde thanked libradesigneye
  • apple_pie_order
    9 years ago
    I noticed your ideabooks include a "British East Indies" category but no "Spanish Caribbean". It would be helpful if you created a new one with photo ideas so we can see what you mean. Cuban, Haitian, Puerto Rican, etc.? 19th century or more recent?
    Jaemie Walde thanked apple_pie_order
  • Jaemie Walde
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    Thanks. I'm liking the camel/buff yellow addition. torn between the fiber shades and the curtains. but leaning towards something that will still allow the little square mouldings (courtesy crafty hubby) to show through. I never thought of a darker white for around the windows. I can try that. I was going for just an egg white. .. but I can try even darker. These are some amazing ideas. Thanks so much. keep em coming!.
    I'm all for chocolate at the dining table. I've thought of painting the set black. would that be too much? or is chocolate brown a better blend in?
    what do u guys think of the rug?
    Here is the hibiscus wall.... The colour matches very obviously with the ox blood couch.
    I bought this pillow with hopes of using the yellowy colour....is that a camel colour?
  • Jaemie Walde
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    You are right Apple_pie_order... I have no Spanish Caribbean idea books. .. but when I took a look at some of them, they didn't really grab me. Maybe I like some of the wrought iron looks that I assume are from Spanish Caribbean? .... Perhaps I should rethink that? ... Anyways ... I want a little contemporary glam from shine and glitter but with a comfortable blend with the chunky sofa.
  • PRO
    Selectblinds
    9 years ago
    I like the idea of roman shades but have you looked into sheer shades for the windows? They will soften the room and cover your windows without blocking that beautiful natural light. I think these will be great for the Caribbean feel you’re looking for because they’re light, airy, and breezy. Love your view!
    2" Light Filtering Sheer Shades · More Info
    Jaemie Walde thanked Selectblinds
  • anne dee
    9 years ago
    how about a punch of colour in the accent pillows and throws.
    A new coffee table,persian style rug
    lamp as seen in the pic would suit yr space
    And a guitar strategically placed ...kidding ;-0
    thought i'd throw in a little humour !!
    A Spanish Revival/ Spanish Colonial · More Info
    Jaemie Walde thanked anne dee
  • Jaemie Walde
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    Selectblinds.com That is a good idea. ...I was thinking the roman shades .. but I would like to keep it airy .... sheer blinds sounds like a great middle ground .. Thanks! ...
    Anne dee .... that Spanish Revival\Spanish Colonial is perhaps more like what I like with the hint of glitter and glam thrown in randomly .... A new coffee table is a must!! ... I need one of those * Help the Happy couple's tastes come together * Since I am fighting to utilize things that my husband inherited (I've moved to Norway from Trinidad so I had no furniture with me) .... This style appeals to me .... I think Hubby will like as well ..... *Cross fingers*
  • anne dee
    9 years ago
    thanks for the thumbs up ;-)
    maybe you might find something that suits you by scrolling thru the following
    http://www.houzz.com/photos/living/glamorous-spanish-revival-
  • Jaemie Walde
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    Oh by the way Anne Dee ... I do have a random guitar lying around .... lol ... But Im uncertain what to do in that corner either .... There is a keyboard and a pram (the kid still sleeps during the day in there)
  • anne dee
    9 years ago
    having the corner filled that way is okay.
    Remember, it's called living space and that is what you are doing . Yes?
    LOL re the guitar.
    I see it now.
  • PRO
    Furnished Up Fine Furniture and Home Decor
    9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago
    Your husband's set is fine :) Red is a nice color to dress with a bit of gold for glam actually. Putting some end tables with these lamps will add a bit of shine to the place. The place would also benefit from a chandelier and some plants by the corners of the room (is your plant there okay? Looks a lil bit tired ;))
    Lux Chandelier · More Info
    (the full collection of lamps, chandeliers and console tables is at our site www.furnishedup.com)

Also loving anne dee's inspiration pic!
  • tabelle70
    9 years ago
    I think the leather furniture is interesting..... Unique. I like the Persian rug idea as well as replacing the coffee table with something sleeker. Stunning view! Well you didn't ask but .... I think I would remove the items on the shelf of the passthru window of the dining room. They don't match the sleeker artsy items in the other niches surrounding. I think you have a fantastic place!
Sponsored
CHC & Family Developments
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, Ohio