Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
caymanbaby29

Help! Living room layout - I'm stumped.

caymanbaby29
9 years ago
My living room layout is causing me such grief. I now have whatever chairs I had from the last 10 years in there so folks have a place to rest their butts. So the furniture in these pics that will stay are the brown leather. I have a couch and a love seat. I like them and they're paid for. But they can be changed if necessary.
There is a door on the right which goes to our screened deck - we spend a lot of time there and the BBQ is out there so access needs to be easy. Not a furniture maze. On the left are huge windows that are the view to my horse pasture and view of the nearest town. City lights at night while still the benefits of having 160 acres and no neighbours! :). I was thinking swivel recliners? The couch as it now doesn't allow me to spin around to watch my foals frolicking in the pasture. Lol. But then on the right side do what? A couch? That side doesn't need to swivel but does need to allow for traffic. Place furniture away from the wall? Do 4 swivel recliners? Switch couch to where loveseat is now?
And what colour of rug? I think no smaller than 8x10? The house is in mostly neutral colours - lots of browns and greys.
Any suggestions are much appreciated!! Thanks for your time.

Comments (21)

• Carolina
    9 years ago
    Hi, sounds like you have a really nice place :-) How many people need to park their posteriors comfortably on a daily basis? In other words, how large is your family?
    And what is the size of your room? Would you have space for the loveseat elsewhere in your home?
  • er612
    9 years ago
    Move couch to where loveseat currently sits. Replace blue chair with loveseat so the sofas form an L. Get a side table for the corner between the 2 couches and add a table lamp. Change coffee table to something other than brown or wood. I think you want to look for light colored pieces to brighten the space. Dark accent furniture will make the space look crowded so my suggestion is to lighten the other furniture. Also, an area rug will help define the space.
  • Carolina
    9 years ago
    I just saw your other post that has the dimensions of your room, so here's a proposed layout... Don't know the size of your sofa, went for a 91" wide 39" deep in the drawing. It looks more spacious on the drawing than in the photo, but you could try it. I did kind of ignore the fireplace, didn't centre on it, to give you more space to walk behind your sofa. You'll have to shuffle your furniture around to see if it will work for you.
    I'd go for two low back chairs so you don't block the view out of the windows too much...
  • Carolina
    9 years ago
    Another option, a sectional. You can nestle in the corner and watch the foals :-)
  • caymanbaby29
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    Thanks for your comments. There are four folks living here.
    If I moved the couch to the right wall and did the table with lamp thing and two recliners that swivel on the left... That would be good. Lighter and larger table? What fabric or colour for recliners? Try to match the leather or contrast? And should the rug be lighter too? Thanks and sorry. I need my hand held for this whole thing.
    :)
  • Carolina
    9 years ago
    I'd go for fabric recliners. Would look for some contrast to your other furniture. Maybe a linen colour? See how this looks for easy access to your covered porch....
  • er612
    9 years ago
    If you get a light colored rug, I recommend getting a patterned one or one that is for indoor/outdoor use since the area connects to the patio. An ottoman like this would break up the leather: http://www.overstock.com/Home-Garden/Renate-Coffee-Table-Ottoman/6382354/product.html?refccid=6V7VBUIOYY43RLKOEESIA2MY6U&searchidx=11 Here is a neutral rug: http://www.westelm.com/products/concentric-diamond-wool-kilim-t1288/?pkey=crugs-flooring&cm_src=rugs-flooring||NoFacet-_-NoFacet-_--_-
  • Carolina
    9 years ago
    Vies? I meant views :-)
  • Carolina
    9 years ago
    I think you'll need a 9' x 12' rug. That's about the size I've used in the layout drawings.
  • Carolina
    9 years ago
    Here's an idea of how it could look. I noticed the green in the vase on the mantle and took that as a colour for some more accents in your room. I hope it helps you to visualize: rug = indoor/outdoor from Overstock, green lamp = Ikea, coffee table = coffeetablesgalore.com, rest = Westelm
  • PRO
    User
    9 years ago
    Consider placing a lounge sofa in front of the windows. You'll be able to sit or lie down looking into the room or looking out onto your pasture.
  • Carolina
    9 years ago
    Just for fun, a bit more colour :-)
  • PRO
    Iconic Deco Interiors
    9 years ago
    Hi there, you have a great cozy area there, just need to make it more alive. You can definitely add some long white curtains on all windows, to give some life/bright there. Also you should add a nice orange square rug, and of course you need a floor lamp. You should get some coffee tables also. Enjoy your living room!!! jk
  • caymanbaby29
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    Wow Carolins how did you do that with the picture!? That's fantastic! Lots to chew over - will do some looking this weekend. I have solar blinds already in the windows. Do people do curtains with these too? I'll attach a picture of them. Some up some down despite the whole night time dark outside thing. Lol
  • caymanbaby29
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    And because I can't control myself.... This years colt. Love watching him run from the living room!!!! And the kid is mine too. Lol
  • Carolina
    9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago
    Both very sweet looking. What kind of horses do you breed?

I can't control myself either... here's my own breeding product, she's now 5 (first 2 pics), her mother, and our other horse with a kid that belongs to one of our friends :-)
    (the horses are KWPN, Royal Dutch Warmblood Horses, showjumping line)
  • Carolina
    9 years ago
    Yes, people do combine shades with curtains. But I'm not so sure I would do that in your room. I look out on my horses too and don't have curtains either ;-) I feel it would be too much fabric along the walls.
  • PRO
    Iconic Deco Interiors
    9 years ago
    You can definitely add shades behind those curtains to transform the area to darker place.. To watch tv!
  • caymanbaby29
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    I wouldn't say I breed. Dabble a bit. In Gypsy horses. Love them. Smart, easygoing, a personality I can appreciate. :) nice horse you've got there! But 14.2 is about as tall as I like them - So Warmbloods aren't for me! :)
    As far as curtains go - I'm not sure if they would work especially on the fireplace wall where there is hardly any wall space between windows and fireplace or window and door etc. my husband was all about as many windows as possible when we built this house. Maybe on the pasture window side? Or maybe curtains on some windows and not all is a dumb idea?
    And I'm looking at the coffee table. It needs to be much bigger doesn't it? Maybe a shape other than rectangular? Hmmmm...
  • Carolina
    9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago
    Lovely horses. A friend of mine has a Tinker horse, and I sometimes wish mine are as cold blooded as hers is :-) But then again I also love the temperament and agility of my hot headed warmbloods. Just not always ;-)

If I were you, I'd first figure out how you'd like your furniture arrangement. Shove the sofa's around, live with a new arrangement for a day or two before you decide if it's good for you or not. Then find a rug or chairs first. And then think about the size and shape you'd like for a coffee table.
Sponsored
Manifesto, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Franklin County's Premier Interior Designer | 2x Best of Houzz Winner!