Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
annandjack

How can I complain about a local Tile business on Houzz?

annandjack
9 years ago
We asked for an extended window ledge in the same granite as our counter. They gave our contractor a different granite and HE installed it! it was immediately visible that theses were different. Now the Tile business says we'd have to buy a whole slab for the 39 1/2 X6" piece. Also the granite installed on the counters has a bumpy finish as if there are invisible crumbs on it all the time. Additionally , the granite was broken when installed and we were told it would be replaced if not "perfect". Unfortunately, we had to leave the house for an urgent matter and when we returned the granite was installed, cemented and the soap dispenser was already installed over the , visible to us, crack! We are VERY unhappy with this Tile business. Do we have any power. To make this public so this business can be avoided by others???

Comments (5)

• PRO
    Decorative Philosophy
    9 years ago
    Call the company and try to rectify on your own, calmly and in great detail. Write it out before you contact them. Better to do it in person. Perhaps you are just paid for your inconvenience and then (sorry) start the process again. OR maybe they can rectify the situation, although it sounds like they are not very good at what they do.
    If you get no results, report them to the Better Business Bureau and places like Angie's List. Make sure you tell all your friends, heck, make new friends and tell them. Alert local contractors to the problem and if all else fails, take them to small claims court.

Remember, NEVER pay anyone in full for work not completed. That way you at least have something to withhold. There might be a way to get the bumps out and make some small changes that will make the situation livable and that withheld $ could pay for that.

Peace,
    Karen & Joseph
  • PRO
    Myers Homes
    9 years ago
    First, there are many different types of stones- and lately we've been using more of the schistose stones for our customers which have a very imperfect surface, which we are very careful to point out during the selection process. And, often, these stones, which have a lot of the mineral mica in them, are friable (a term which means they break along mineral lines easily) and so are shipped with repaired cracks (which for these stones aren't necessarily considered defects) in them right from the quarry. Without knowing the stone, I wonder first if the bumpiness isn't a part of the natural texture of the stone you selected. The countertop stone is cut and polished at the originating quarry so whatever surface characteristics it has are from the quarry, not from your vendor. That said, it sounds like there's a big disconnect between what you thought you were getting and what you got, which is a really tough thing. Presumably, your vendor doesn't want an angry and disappointed customer, so I'd start with that assumption first, until they prove you wrong. I would most definitely NOT start posting public complaints as a first resort-that will create a very adversarial situation out of something that's as easy as swapping the countertop- which they aren't going to be happy doing, but isn't THAT big a deal for a co. that does it all the time. Keep in mind that when you first bought from them, presumably there were things that you liked about the co. and its staff- try to remember that, even though you're disappointed, and see if you can't amicably work out a solution. I've found over many years that most of the time simply being nice is an awesome way to disarm the other side when we've run into a problem. Of course, if that doesn't work, being not-so-nice is always a tool that's available. I have a lot more fun in my work if I don't use that tool very often- and mostly I don't need to-hopefully you won't either! Good luck!
  • hayleydaniels
    9 years ago
    If worse comes to worst, file a complaint with the Better Business Bureau who will contact them, and try to get a resolution to the problem.
  • PRO
    Cancork Floor Inc.
    9 years ago
    Excellent point Myers Homes. Start with "honey" and then move to "vinegar". Once you pull "nasty" out of the box...there is no going back. "De escalating" nasty is tough. Escalating from nice to nasty is much easier.

Have a sit down and discuss what happened. There might be a very easy way around it. If there isn't, then you pull out 'Ms. Nasty' and let 'er rip.
  • PRO
    A Direct Cabinet Distributor Corp
    9 years ago
    I can understand why you are upset! What color granite do you have? Some colors are known for having that sort of bumpy feeling to it. For example, I have bianco antico in my kitchen, and I didn't know this before choosing the color, but it has texture to it. It's not smooth in certain areas like how other colors are. But this is not the fabricators fault. Granite is natural, and cut right from a mountain. So these kind of features come with specific granites. Another feature of some granite colors are different coloring. As the cut deeper into the mountain, sometimes the tans become peachy tones. It just depends on how the lot is coming in. There could be a difference in lots from your counter top and ledge. Just double check that.

As far as that crack goes, they absolutely 100% should replace that. The homeowner should of absolutely been on site during template as well as install. We make sure they are there for any questions the installers may have, and for any human errors. Stone is heavy... so anything can happen! It seems to me, when they were drilling the hole for your soap dispenser, the stone cracked. They probably drilled too close to an edge. But you should have been the one to tell them where this hole needed to be drilled.
Sponsored
A.I.S. Renovations Ltd.
Average rating: 4.5 out of 5 stars15 Reviews
Custom Craftsmanship & Construction Solutions in Franklin County