Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bowlly

Kitchen and Breakfast decor help!

bowlly
12 years ago
last modified: 12 years ago
I need some advice on how to decorate my "new kitchen in progress" and breakfast area. I have some plates that I could use on the walls, but I am not a person who loves a wall full of plates. I would like to use the large one with the tree on the far wall, but is it going to be lonely or will it look OK by itself? I love art pieces (oil canvases or canvas prints), so would that look better and how many and what size?

I also need advice on what type of light fixtures to use in the middle of the galley kitchen and above the breakfast table. I just bought the one above the sink and love the way it looks. We will be putting white subway tile as a back splash.

I also could use some help with drapes. I bought a bay window rod with corner elbows, now I need suggestions on what type of pattern to use, I thought of geometric but my house is not modern. My chairs will stay, but we are changing the table to match the wood in the chairs. Any advice will help. Pictures are included.

The walls are painted BM Canvas Tan and the cabinets are BM Snowbound.
Thanks for any help!!

Comments (36)

• PRO
    Hibbler-Properties
    12 years ago
    I would replace the current light fixture above the eik table with a pendant light of your choosing. As for curtains, may I suggest you replace the current ones with either wood blinds or venetian blinds (ikea is much less expensive than home depot and such). Try not to block the wonderful light that wants to come through those windows. For a more traditional feel, you could install tie-back curtains in between the windows and alongside the two outside window frames. Again, keep them tied back for effect and lighting. As for the plates, they vary largely in size and shape. You said you don't fancy them on a wall, so why not install a small plate rack or shelf to place them on. Or else you could place them in a display cabinet (if you have one). One last suggestion, purchase an area rug to place under the table and chairs. This anchors the seating area and further defines it as a separate area. Hope this helps.
  • Bond Girl
    12 years ago
    You've got a great start! I love you cabinets, counter, and those floor are wonderful!

I see two different design directions. Your chairs and plates lean French Country. The new fixture and the pulls lean more modern/glam. I think you need to decide the direction you are headed. They can be mixed (your chairs can be moved towards the modern), but it's a delicate balancing act. Since you love the fixture and I assume you just picked the pulls, I'd say your style is more modern/glam.

That being said, I'm not sure the plates fall into your new kitchen style. The diamonds are too old fashioned for your other choices. As you said, there is not enough of the others to make a complete wall. I like the idea of a plate rack or shelves from LIfeline.

As for the walls, I'd say a light grey with blue undertones, using your chairs as inspiration. I'd also paint all the trim white. Get the table before you decide on the light fixture above, since you'll need to see the width before deciding on the width of that fixture.

You've done a great job with all the hard/expensive decisions. Have fun with this last bit!
  • PRO
    cg interiors group
    12 years ago
    To create a nice rhythm in the space you might consider floor-length, narrow curtains to hang between the windows rather than covering them. Like Manon, I'd also suggest echoing the light fixture you like with fixtures of the same nature, in appropriate scale to the area where you are placing them. I'm also not one for plates on the walls, but I think yours are eclectic enough to create a fun, interesting grouping. Good luck! It looks terrific so far!
  • PRO
    Gorgeous Homes, Inc
    12 years ago
    Well, since you have this " italian " plate that you seem to like as I see other plates with the same theme, I would use that plate as inspiration for the kitchen. Paint the walls a soft wheat color ( 1 gallon of eggshell paint, $ 27.00 ) that would warm up the space immediately. I would also use a small area rug under the table with olive greens and soft yellows, a runner in the middle of the kitchen will also make the space seem more intimate. I would do a wrought iron chandelier, you can go to Calico Corners and buy a nice print for your chairs and a coordinating fabric for the windows. I wouldn't do any geometrical forms in this kitchen, you could also change the cabinets door handles to match the style of the chandelier, you can find those at Lowes. I would do panels in the windows with a soft white sheer. Hope it helps!!
  • Manon Floreat
    12 years ago
    A runner is an excellent idea, Gorgeous Homes!

I just noticed that the counter tops look to be carrara marble(?) The plates do look to be European, content wise, the chairs are reminescent of French neo-classical and the chandelier is definitely glamorous. . . perhaps bowlly will go down in design history for creating the "Pan-Euro Glam" aesthetic!

Has a nice ring. I'm with it!

Okay - I'm going to go away now.
  • bowlly
    Original Author
    12 years ago
    Thanks for all your help and great ideas. I guess Manon Floreat is correct; my style is very poorly defined here. I my entire house is more traditional because that is who I am, but my husband likes what he likes with no rhyme or reason. The fixture over the sink was my idea, because I wanted a chandelier, but I needed to pull the nickle from the handles. The kitchen hardware, he picked out and what I am trying to do is make my kitchen and breakfast area blend to become more traditional again. The plates were from his grandmother and I was trying to use them with great struggle. Thanks and could use more help making this work. I do plan on using a runner and one under the table, but I need help trying to bring my kitchen back toward traditional.
    I guess I made a very expensive modern/glam move but I need help correcting this error without changing the pulls and adding some traditional accessories.
    This is what I found and they used the nickle pulls.
    Conard Romano Architects · More Info
    and
    Charmean Neithart Interiors, LLC. · More Info
  • bowlly
    Original Author
    12 years ago
    Could something like this work for my bay window?
    Panels · More Info
  • betsyweisberg
    12 years ago
    You have great windows in this room!
    How about banquet setting using this table and large scale landscape paintings, bringing the outside in. Accent in greens and yellows and crips white, beautiful.
    Happy decorating!
  • Manon Floreat
    12 years ago
    Hi, bowlly. I don't think you've made any errors at all. In fact, I think all of your decisions thus far are sound and work beautifully together.

Keep doing what you're doing!
  • bowlly
    Original Author
    12 years ago
    Hi, Manon. Thanks for making me feel better about my choices.
  • mousemaker
    12 years ago
    is there somewhere else in your house you could display the plates? or perhaps just the most important ones? i'm not sure i would put plates near the table because they could be easily dislodged (at least in my house :)) and would collect dust and kitchen deposits..also, if they are near the windows, it might not be good either.
    what you choose is really a personal decision. i'm not a subway tile fan, but if you house is older it does fit. i chose muted colors for my kitchen so that i could bring in color and take it out, you know? like flowers, towels, pottery..
    i had a really hard time choosing lighting. i do have under cabinet lights and i love them, but i had to choose a light for over the island, the sink and several other places.
    it's tough :) we decided on a light that i made a flip comment about in the store :)
    and it's the best decision i ever made. i noticed that both the lights you have already are what i call "up" lights..that is, the bulb is not seen. i don't like lights in my eyes, i like the light spread above. i think it's much more pleasant to eat without lightbulbs over me as if i were being questioned :)
  • Bond Girl
    12 years ago
    Manon's right, no mistakes! If you want to head more traditional direction, consider one of the vine lighting fixtures with crystals in them. This one is from Maxim, but there a lot of different choices. They'll work with the light over the sink, but are more traditional. There are a lot of pretty options for valances. Toile is always a traditional choice, and will work with your plates.
  • bowlly
    Original Author
    12 years ago
    @Mousemaker - I agree, fixtures are tough and plates are out!!! I spoke to my husband and he agrees; we would rather use art work. We love museums, so maybe frames artwork, what do you think?

@Bondgirl - love the fixture idea. I really want to head back toward the traditional side and that helps. Thanks.

I am getting excited with all the ideas!
  • PRO
    EMM
    12 years ago
    Your table/chairs/ceramics scream french country so I'd try to use that for inspiration. I'd paint the window trim white to connect with the ceiling trim and cabinets. Original kitchen lighting and chandelier, being so close to one another are competing. I'd put in recessed lighting and forget both personally and then really kick it up with a gorgeous french style chandelier over the table. I like the suggestion of someone else's wheat-coloured paint - very Provence! Goes well with the table/chairs - but whatever colour you chooose, it should compliment your countertop - had a hard time figuring out what the colour of that countertop is in the picture - is it blue? I'd install a backsplash complimentary to the wall colour and countertop. It will really finish the space. Good luck and post "after" pics!
  • bowlly
    Original Author
    12 years ago
    Thanks so much. I belive I may have to lean toward the recess lighting.
    The counter are a "Super White" granite, which are white and shades of gray and tan. The walls are painted a light tan, but the picture does not show that color. The chairs have the same tan as the walls.
  • glanyi
    12 years ago
    I like what you have done in the kitchen area. It is updated traditional. As far as your window treatments in your breakfast area, I would consider plantation shutters. They are classic, beautiful and are not an additional compeating fabric. For the small window over your sink, you could tie in a fabric and have a simple valance or cornice board type look.

http://www.dfwshuttershop.com/dfw%20shutter%20shop%20photos.htm
    If you scroll down this page you will see planation shutters in a breakfast nook with similar windows as yours.

I like the fabric Manon suggested, the large floral with gray and green undertones.....somthing like that for the small window over the sink. I like bondgirl's last image of the window treatment style.

I've lived in my house for a year now and you have to go slow or you will make mistakes. As far as the plates, I would wait on hanging them. Get your window treatments, dining set and rugs in and live with them for awhile.

Good luck!!
  • PRO
    Leona Mozes Photography
    12 years ago
    Looks like the perfect spot for a banquette. The space should be cozy. Is there any possibility of defining the space with a ceiling treatment…bulkhead…arch?
  • PRO
    secil_karakas
    12 years ago
    Hello,

Frst of all I like your sitting area and that table could stand out with the right color of paint choise for the walls.. As most said, I would go for white trimming on the window frame..

and for the color of palette probabably, sunwashed blue,

http://www.ralphlaurenhome.com/products/paint/Lifestyle_Colors/items.aspx?haid=83

or Sapnish bluewell..

http://www.ralphlaurenhome.com/products/paint/Lifestyle_Colors/items.aspx?haid=121

these are from Ralph Lauren but so far sometimes it's hard to find the place to buy them, other brands have the similar colors of blue..

I would live the ceiling white, probably the white that matches with your window trimmings..

And for the curtain, I would definitely go for some peach/orange flower patterned tones.. or just straight-up white lace..Like @bondgirl already posted the style, probably more narrow at the top though..

http://www.bestwindowtreatments.com/potpourriplaidandfloralvalancein3colors.aspx

http://www.bestwindowtreatments.com/mollyembroideredcurtainsinwhitewithbluepeachpinkorplumflowers.aspx

and the complimentary to choice of your color for curtains, i would reinstall the upholstry for chairs.. probably in green tones..

Personally, i don't love rugs and they are hard to clean, and as it for kitchend it's big no no for me.. on the other hand, it would be nice for under the table for your kitchen..

anyways, if you have a hard time to combine the colors,
    http://www.colorschemer.com/online.html
    http://colorschemedesigner.com/
  • mousemaker
    12 years ago
    @bowlly :) i think if i were you :) i would wait until the rest of the kitchen is settled before deciding on art. you might want to see the finished product before you know what kind of art you want or what will work. it will be something you see all the time and it needs to be special :)
  • PRO
    Interiors Unleashed
    12 years ago
    Don't be afraid to mix styles, you are already doing it and so far so good. Your chairs seem to be in good shape and work well with your wall color and other choices. I agree with painting the window trim and base board if there is a place to stop for this area. If no place to stop the paint, don't worry about it and just hang slim curtain panels, leaving as much window and light as you can.

I would suggest looking for curtains, or fabric if you are making them yourself, that compliment your chairs. Use a pattern if you want a more traditional look and a plain if you want a more stream lined look.

If you like glass tables, glass and a nice substantial base would keep it all light and help blend in your light fixture. I would go for the gusto and find a fabulous chandelier with lots of prisms and with a nickel finish but with a traditional look. Or one that has both a dark finish and a nickel finish plus the prisms or crystal. I would then keep the curtains more as background and go with a plain fabric with some sheen to it. Silk is very traditional so a silk like look would get your where you want to go while the plain fabric and sheen help you tie in the more modern glam.

I love your style so far. Here is a breakfast area I've done that mixes things up with French chairs and table base plus modern china cab and light fixture, it is all in a very traditional kitchen. See my Houzz project for more photos of this kitchen.
    China Cabinet · More Info
  • PRO
    Interiors Unleashed
    12 years ago
    Here is another photo of mixed styles. The curtains on the right work for both. The chandelier is modern but the dark shades help tie it to more traditional rich wood colors.
    https://www.houzz.com/discussions/where-did-you-purchase-chandelier-dsvw-vd~92534

This is a traditional chandelier gone modern.
    https://www.houzz.com/discussions/where-can-i-find-this-lamp-shade-dsvw-vd~20542

Here is a chandelier used in the middle of the kitchen work area. A smaller one closer to the ceiling in your galley area and a larger one dropped over the table would look nice.
    https://www.houzz.com/discussions/where-is-light-fixture-from-dsvw-vd~37684

Hope this gives you some more ideas.
  • PRO
    Interiors Unleashed
    12 years ago
    Bellacor has a similar collection in nickel to the chandelier in the middle of the kitchen above. It is called New Castle. As for art, take a look at this blog article on framing.

http://www.interiorsunleashed.blogspot.com/

You can take things that you love and frame them up. I love art for art for art and love museums as well. If you find a piece you like but think it won't work in your kitchen/breakfast area, think about a different frame. I find that if you like something, it will most likely have design elements of other things you like that are in your home.

Consignment stores, antique shops, and the like are great places for art and lighting.
  • morgana44
    12 years ago
    Bowlly...Love Love what you've done so far. Love the table and chairs. Looks French Country so continue that with a French themed wallpaper and matching curtains that draws on the colors in your dining room chairs.. Use dark colored match stick wood blinds. Add a rug to the floor under the table that is large enough for table and chairs to sit on even when pulled out. If you have a swatch of the chair fabric take that with you to the store when you look for wallpaper/curtains/rugs/paint. I think your lighting over the table needs to be larger and lower. After you've decided on walls...go look for art work (Home Goods has a great selection...or go to Michael's and browse through the prints...select what you like/frame/hang). There is also great art at flea markets and antique stores and they can bring a sense of collection to the new space. You've painted the moldings around the ceiling but not around the windows/doors/floors. Perhaps you might decide to paint all the moldings the same color to give a cohesive look. Don't forget to paint the ceiling...the third wall. Go several shades lighter than the what you've selected for walls. And lastly, pull whatever you do in the dining area across into the kitchen space so the rooms flow.
  • Deborah StClair
    12 years ago
    Hello-
    I do like what you have done so far too. I don't think those plates will ever work in that room, maybe elsewhere?
    I would skip curtains since your kitchen has such a clean, fresh feel, and go with shutters.
    I would do recessed lighting in the kitchen.
    Looks like you are having fun!
  • bowlly
    Original Author
    12 years ago
    Thanks everyone for your time and input. I really appreciate the ideas and the help everyone has provided to get me back to my desired direction.
    Interiors Unleashed - thank you so much for everything! I will post when I do more. Thanks again.
  • PRO
    Karen's Custom Decorating
    12 years ago
    blindlady
    This is a window that turned out very nice, maybe it would work for you
  • bowlly
    Original Author
    12 years ago
    Interiors Unleashed - you mentioned the solid drapes to blend with the chair fabric, and I like that idea, but I have a question... grommets, tabs, pockets or rings to hang the drapes?
  • PRO
    Debra Blake Design
    12 years ago
    no tabs, or rings, try a grommet or simple roman shades in natural linen or woven shades for texture and movement. the tree plate could go on the far wall to the left of the door if it would fit. the other plates don't have enough colour to hold the wall. you could take a grouping of the 4 plates and glue them into shadow boxes and hang them in a grid pattern in the powder room...as for the lighting...a large linen drum shade over the table would be lovely and something similar to the sweet chandelier for the other. Love the idea of the banquet and some graphic botanicals all framed the same and hung in a perfect grid 3 over 3 or whatever that wall can hold. they would be perfect.
  • Joan Bartos
    11 years ago
    I say go a bit wild. I love your chandelier over the sink. Go with a similar but over-the-top art chandelier over the dining room table and let it be your art piece. It can even be a nod to a traditional French chandelier, but with a modern twist. I see maybe a gutsy, art glass chandelier. Make sure that the chandelier you choose is large enough and is placed low enough to fill the space but high enough that it doesn't block eye contact with the other diners. The existing one is too high and too small for the space and should probably be about a foot lower to give you a guide. Correct size and placement create continuity and connection between the light and the dining room table (and the diners).

Don't go a light color with your walls in the dining room,but dark. First paint all the wood and trim a very crisp white. Then choose dark,luxurious color that suits both you and your husband. Test the color by painting a sample of it on the walls and see if you like it in the morning light, midday and night light, and perhaps even candlelight if you entertain a lot. The Williamsburg collection from Pratt and Lambert has some beautiful dark greens and green blacks. This will give the room a more masculine feel and allow you to use accessories like flowers,napkins and dinnerware for the color and to contrast with the dark walls. Before you choose any paint, do a search on "best interior paints." Probably best to choose a low or no VOC paint and guess what? The best rated paints are not only low or no VOC but they're cheaper than a lot of their name brand competitors.

I don't recommend blinds or shutters as blinds tend to make a space look like an office and shutters are outdated and really show dust. If you decide to go with the white woodwork and dark walls, you may consider using white linen for the curtains. I had some beautiful linen curtains made from my great grandmothers old linen sheets once, and they are gorgeous and stylish to this day. Another idea is to use a free standing room divider that extends beyond the window frame to the kitchen cabinets that separate the dining room/kitchen. (I would go with one that allowed light through.)

In opening that space up, the previous owner created a visually awkward separation there. This can also be fixed with a decorative wood or iron grille that fits underneath the bottom of the cabinet and extends to the top of the counter top if you don't want to go with a room divider. I would go white iron grille with lots of curves.

Sheers are another option for you window,depending on your privacy needs and the orientation of the room. Todays sheers are not you mother or grandmother's sheers. I saw some simple but beautiful sheers in Paris that had round white doilies sewn over the curtain panel. It created a very elegant look and would be easy to do. (Buy some really pretty sheer panels and some doilys (Antique store) and sew the doilys on by hand).

Are you married to the chair fabric? It's very pretty but I think some really crisp chair slipcovers with a nice short,sexy skirt would look so fresh. The outline of the chairs is very curvaceous and feminine and I think some well made covers would bring out their beautiful shape and update them. (Always have an extra one or two made in case one gets ruined.)

Consider a floor-cloth under the dining room table. You can make one or order one but interestingly, they are both historical and easy to clean. Make sure it is large enough as too small a cloth (or rug) would look bad.

The subways tiles my be too large for your small backsplash area. They are a great look but the scale of each tile will probably overwhelm the small area visually. Test this by outlining the size of the tile on a white cardboard with drawn-in lines for the grout. Cut to scale and place in the area you plan to put the tiles to see if the scale works for you. Consider using a grey grout in a wet area such as a black splash as it won't need constant bleaching to make it look pristine.

Consider putting a curtain on the outside of the door leading to the laundry room from your kitchen. That way, even if the door is left open, there is no visual "hole" from your kitchen to your laundry room. ( I'm assuming there's a pocket door there but if not, place curtain accordingly).

I would urge you to use your husband's family dish platters to serve food,not to hang. The Chinese platters are elegant and are quite traditional. A lesson I've learned over the years is that dishes are made to be used. The Quimper looking plates might make nice bread plates. Mixing and matching china is an art and is so amazingly beautiful when you pull it off. (Candlelight makes almost anything work.)

Finally,enjoy your home and don't worry too much about "mistakes." When you use simple but beautiful pieces that you love and choose colors you love, you'll find that mixing styles,patterns and colors is easy and the results are satisfying.
  • Diann
    11 years ago
    Good morning Lifeline I have a similar room in my breakfast nook . I get alot of bright morning sun so I used Wood plantation shutters to let in the amount I want. Excuse the pic on the floor we just moved in not long ago so trying to decide on whether to hang it. But see the light love the way it looks in this nook.
  • Diann
    11 years ago
    google kitchler pendants if you like this one. They have a nice variety of lighting to choose from.
  • bowlly
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    last modified: 11 years ago
    Joan-Thanks for everything and thanks for all of your advice. I have moved forward and I am grateful that some of my purchases are what you suggested and I do agree with some of your changes.
  • Kathy
    11 years ago
    a rule of thumb for chandelier or light over the table: 33 - 36" above the table is perfect. Your current light is so high...the lower the chandelier the more it becomes part of the space and far more functional in illuminating food and faces...put on a rheostat to control the light...low for nice dinners, high for homework or games...
  • PRO
    Committed Photography, Inc.
    11 years ago
    If you have a minute feel free to take a look at our web based art gallery. Everything we do is made to measure and can be printed on a number of materials and custom framed to suit your environment. We also ship worldwide and only use gallery grade materials.

If you have a specific color or subject you would like just let us know. We are always glad to do the searching for you. Enjoy!

www.committedphotography.ca