Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mellaf84

Help! Bookcase, book shelf or cabinet?!

Mellaf84
9 years ago
Hi! I need help with my living room wall... I am debating between a bookcase, book shelf and cabinet. Which would look more appropriate in my living room? Also, should I go lower, equal to or higher than the fireplace? I unfortunately cannot afford to do custom built-ins right now...

Comments (29)

• Mellaf84
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    Oh and here is a picture of a book shelf someone recommended and said would look great... any thoughts?
  • PRO
    VERMONT WOODS STUDIOS
    9 years ago
    Something like this might look lovely in your space. http://vermontwoodsstudios.com/products/modern-shaker-glass-door-bookcase
    Mellaf84 thanked VERMONT WOODS STUDIOS
  • PRO
    VERMONT WOODS STUDIOS
    9 years ago
    I like the recommendation someone gave you. Ladder Bookshelves are airy and don't take up much room. Plus they are very versatile. http://bit.ly/1qyFlkw
  • Mellaf84
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    Thank you Vermont! I like the bookcase you proposed. But I am also happy to hear the ladder bookshelf would work well as I really wasn't sure if it was the best fit. That's a great point that they are airy since my furniture is more on the bulky side (the leather sofa and chair) so perhaps it would not be adding too much. Would one on each side of the fireplace be the best? I have been looking for a chair (not with much luck) to place in front of the leather chair... I am looking for a super comfy fabric chair that would match the feel of the room (so nothing small, stiff or contemporary/modern...).
  • PRO
    VERMONT WOODS STUDIOS
    9 years ago
    I like the idea of one on each side, you'd just have to make sure you are styling them both well. :) & yes with how attention grabbing your fire place is in addition to your large couch--something airy would be preferable. Walnut wood might look nice with your color scheme.
  • groveraxle
    9 years ago
    Haven't we been through this dilemma already? Ladder bookshelves, aside from the fact that they will be over as a trend soon if they're not already, do not have enough visual weight for this space.
  • Mellaf84
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    Thanks :) Would the color in the picture of the ladder bookcase I attached work? The wood is a bit rustic. I saw that specific ladder bookcase at the store.
  • Mellaf84
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    Groveraxle, yes we did talk about this! But now that I have my sofa and chair and that the particular salesperson was really adamant I should go with the ladder bookshelf (and I actually finally bought a dining table set to replace the glass bar height one you probably saw in my pictures), I thought I would ask....
  • Mellaf84
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    Groveraxle yes looking at this picture I see what you mean! It's not necessarily bulky even though it's not a ladder (as other cabinets I saw). I really didn't know ladder bookcases were going out of style...
  • Mellaf84
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    If the furniture I find happens to be a couple or few inches lower is that an issue?
  • Mellaf84
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    One thing I should mention is that we fortunately won't have to put the electronics in the bookcase (we wired everything to go downstairs) so no doors now works...
  • groveraxle
    9 years ago
    I must admit to a bias against ladder bookshelves. I've always thought they looked flimsy and insubstantial, and I don't think they go with your fireplace at all.
    Mellaf84 thanked groveraxle
  • Mellaf84
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    Well with that picture you might have just convinced me of the same...! They look off (and they look like the one I was showed, so not a good sign).

Okay back to square 2 I guess; they ideal you said is to have something all or partly open? And something that is the same height as the fireplace, as opposed to something higher or lower?
  • Sarah Bullock
    9 years ago
    I vote no on the ladder shelves- I actually love ladder shelves, but only on an open long wall. Your space screams built-in's and since you can't get them right now (but want them), I would go with two matching taller pieces, preferably with cabinets below and open shelving above (maybe the upper half with less depth, like a hutch/buffet has). If those aren't in the budget, maybe something like the side piers of an entertainment center? Good luck! I'd rather have your dilemma than mine! My fireplace is not centered, it's on a corner false wall, so built-in's (which I would LOVE) would not look right.
  • Mellaf84
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    Thanks Sarah!! I like the idea of a taller one like a buffet or hutch (in my mind it sounds really nice!)! I'd like to see what it would look like in the space...
    What colour would you go for?
    And I agree that my problem is not that bad ;)
  • Sarah Bullock
    9 years ago
    I think white is always a safe choice (glass doors like the one earlier posted) always look nicer also. I don't mind darker wood also similar to your mantel but I think white would really pop in that space :)
    Mellaf84 thanked Sarah Bullock
  • groveraxle
    9 years ago
    You can fake built-ins with stock cabinetry and some trim. Check this out: http://www.remodelaholic.com/2013/05/budget-built-ins-inspiration/
  • groveraxle
    9 years ago
    Anything taller than the mantel is going to run into problems with the crown. Here are a couple of Ikea Hemnes cabinets, and another idea: matching console tables with art above:
  • barrowp
    9 years ago
    YES to Grover's idea of matching consoles and art!
    Mellaf84 thanked barrowp
  • flyr4fun
    9 years ago
    I like the look of GA's picture with the lower tables and art above. The balance looks right without being to heavy and imposing.
    Mellaf84 thanked flyr4fun
  • Mellaf84
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    Thanks Sarah! I like the idea of white, although I was thinking of going with a lighter rug (cream maybe)? So perhaps a brown would be better?

Groveraxle, the fake built-ins are amazing!! They really do look real; will definitely check out how to make them! And again, I think you are right about the crown of the mantel... it seems to be in the way with taller cabinets like the ones you put in the first 2 photos.

I love the idea Groveraxle about the lower console table and art Groveraxle :) I actually really like the look, it just feels right in that space - totally agree with barrowp and flyr4fun!

Now, my missing (bigger) pieces in the living room are the console tables, the rug and a second chair... Which one should I buy first to be able to coordinate colors?? As I mentioned I would really like a cream rug (the lady that recommended the ladder bookshelf also showed us an undyed wool 8x10 carpet... any thoughts? For the chair, would a chair-and-a-half be okay? The one I saw was 50 inches wide I think; extremely mushy and comfy!
  • Sarah Bullock
    9 years ago
    My two cents :) I like the 1st picture with the white cabinets- I think if the cabinets were centered they wouldn't interfere with the crown/mantel and would look nice, they draw the eyes up, just like the art in the 3rd photo does. I would also paint the mantel white! I would prefer closed cabinets underneath artwork (same cabinets, similar/matching artwork) instead of these open end tables/entertainment shelves. It looks too busy for me and takes away from the focal point (fireplace/tv).
  • Sarah Bullock
    9 years ago
    I think the wool carpet or rug would be great in an off-white/cream! It goes with more colors than you could imagine.
  • Mellaf84
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    Thanks Sarah :) I like the white too (although I think I would go more for an off-white? I like the more rustic feel...). I guess you're right it would not compete too much with the mantel if it is centered; I guess I would have to find one that's not too wide then.

Yes since the rug the lady showed us is undyed wool it is already a kind of cream (with a few strands of light brown or gray I guess since it's natural!).
  • Sarah Bullock
    9 years ago
    I agree antique white (off white) is beautiful!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I don't know your budget but if it's a small one maybe you could find some cheaper pieces and do some chalk paint or milk paint to get that rustic look yourself. That would look good with the mantel also. I was thinking maybe I'm biased wanting tall pieces because I love storage pieces LOL!
  • Mellaf84
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    Here's a rug we're trying out. I think it's a bit too light... See the tiny small square? That's the wool one we're looking at I think it's better? What do you think? And we're thinking of getting a chair in the cushion material!
  • Mellaf84
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    The chair!!
  • Mellaf84
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    Okay I think we found the right rug :)