Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
danita1880

Need help with living room

Daniela Zambrano
9 years ago
Should I put a rug under the coffee table? color? add accent wall? color?

Comments (12)

• PRO
    Dytecture
    9 years ago
    Here is one idea for an area rug.

Transitional Gradation Pattern Red /Orange Wool/Silk Tufted Rug - BQ04, 3.6x5.6 · More Info
    Daniela Zambrano thanked Dytecture
  • PRO
    User
    9 years ago
    1 roman blinds, your curtains make the room look much cheaper than it is
    2 bigger TV stand. i would also put shelves above it
    3 no ceiling fans.
    4 on the left wall i would replace shelves with a large mirror or with few smaller ones (u can buy something like that in IKEA)
    Daniela Zambrano thanked User
  • carriesampson
    9 years ago
    Definitely! I like the softness of a rug especially in a space where you're going to be relaxing like this. What colors do YOU like? You can do a rug search by color on different websites like Rugs USA, Home Decorators Collection, etc. Picking the right rug is like art. You have to love it. An accent wall might be fun behind your TV. Again, though, what color do you like? I say pick out one of the less dominant colors in whatever rug you choose for the accent wall. Also, can you move that couch in a little closer to the coffee table? I think it might make it feel more cozy. Good luck with your room! :)
    Daniela Zambrano thanked carriesampson
  • PRO
    Marble & Granite Ltd.
    9 years ago
    Lovely coffee table, but I would say that the room definitely needs a rug. I would suggest a smallish cream coloured rug - it may not be the most practical but I think it would go perfectly with the decor.

I also think it would be great to have a TV cabinet to hide the TV when not in use. A dark coloured wood to match the coffee table!
    Daniela Zambrano thanked Marble & Granite Ltd.
  • Daniela Zambrano
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    Thanks for your suggestions about the rug! I think I would like a cream one, maybe http://www.pier1.com/Alona-Rugs---Spice/PS49094,default,pd.html?cgid=area_rugs ? definitely need to change the tv stand (my DH furniture when single) will look for one big enough to hide it ... me and him built that coffee table with 2 pallets :) .... ok move the sofa closer! will do that. and leave the space between sofa and wall?
    so lost on accent wall colors
    Curtains not so cheap from Pottery Barn :(
    Thank you so much for the advices it is a long project
  • Daniela Zambrano
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    oh that sofa needs to go too... but working on it slowly
  • Daniela Zambrano
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    Covered Bridge · More Info
    got inspiration from this photo.
  • groveraxle
    9 years ago
    Your furniture doesn't quite hang together. Specifically, the formal wing chairs don't meld well with the casual leather and the beachy curtains and the rustic coffee table. I'm guessing the wing chair direction is the way you'd like to go. I think the easiest short term fix for the space is to turn off the ceiling lights and add some lamps. A darker color on the walls might also help.
    Daniela Zambrano thanked groveraxle
  • Maureen
    9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago
    Love the coffee table, but I think it is just not suited to the style of the room and it is too low. What do you think about adding padding and upholstering..it would make it higher and also more suited to your room. I would decide on your set up before buying a rug, as I think a large rug is better vs just under the table. Chairs/couch's front legs should be sitting on rug. It looks like you need the area in front of couch as a walk through. Could you try switching your couch and tv and bring furniture in closer (see picture). You could paint almost any color, as your furniture is neutral, but a deep golden tan color may be nice with your floors. I would look for a carpet first and then paint and add pillows based on its colors.
    [houzz=
    Encore 2 · More Info
    ]
    Daniela Zambrano thanked Maureen
  • Daniela Zambrano
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    I replaced the shelves with a large mirror as suggested :) also replaced curtains. I hope I'm making progress!
  • Daniela Zambrano
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    Thank you all for the great ideas :)