Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
cassithomas5

help me decorate my new living room space

cassithomas5
9 years ago
hi! we recently made our two family home a one family..and this is my new living room space. please give me some design tips! to the right are two sliding doors.. it won't let me upload more pics at the moment so I'll keep trying.. we have three kids, 6 and under so keep that in mind :)

Comments (31)

• cassithomas5
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    more angles
  • PRO
    flair lighting
    9 years ago
    the rug and the couch need to touch each other. we will be waiting for more pics!! its a great space!
  • cassithomas5
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    did you see the new angles, I had to put them in the comments :) thanks for your help!!
  • PRO
    flair lighting
    9 years ago
    ok pull the couch toward the tv and the sliders, bring the chairs in then onto the carpet. you are going to need a long console, or a built in feel for the tv area..its such a big wall. basically bring the couch to the rug and pull the chairs in a bit...then lets see...
  • PRO
    Cliff Young Ltd.
    9 years ago
    I would push the sectional to the column and do a thin sofa-back table behind it to define the living are better, and complete the conversation area with 2 comfortable chairs and a generous size cocktail table, especially if the kids spend time on the rug and drawing (you might need a larger rug. The TV wall deserves a well-planned elevation that should incorporate not just the AV, but your storage needs as well. A desk/homework area might work in between the two doors if needed.
  • PRO
    flair lighting
    9 years ago
    the other option is to put the tv between the two doors and move the couch to the back wall and move the chairs across from it.
  • PRO
    flair lighting
    9 years ago
    here are ideas.....
  • cassithomas5
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    i should add... we live in NH, and need our Woodstove down here too.. we plan to put it between the sliders..
  • PRO
    Mission West Kitchen and Bath
    9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago
    You could move the tv between the two doors like flair lighting said so you can avoid the glare from the window. I guess try getting a tv cabinet. You could add some pendant or chandelier lighting.
  • groveraxle
    9 years ago
    I don't know that you need a larger rug, but you either need to pull the sectional up to it, or pull it to the sectional. If you do get a new rug, I'd take the opportunity to get one with a bit of color.

Besides color, this room needs light, a proper media cabinet for the long feature wall, and the chairs need to move out of the corners. I'd like to see the vertical blinds replaced with drapes too, but that could strain the budget.
  • PRO
    flair lighting
    9 years ago
    thats it ^^^^
  • Geneviève
    9 years ago
    A bookcase
    Transitional Living Room · More Info
  • cassithomas5
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Updates photos...

• cassithomas5
    Original Author
    7 years ago

• cassithomas5
    Original Author
    7 years ago

• cassithomas5
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Any tips? Dont mind the nom perfectness.... i just had baby number 5!

• Flo Mac
    7 years ago

Love the new cabinets and picture rails. I know you are enjoying this room. Thanks for sharing. Congrats on #5.

cassithomas5 thanked Flo Mac
  • cassithomas5
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Thank you! We need new furniture...mpre seating...thinking maybe a larger sectional? Its such a hard room to furnish...

• Kathy
    7 years ago
    Very nice...baby 5? Congratulations!
    cassithomas5 thanked Kathy
  • Kathy
    7 years ago
    I agree with no accent walls and waiting until your furniture is in as others have said. You can bring in color with art and accessories.
  • Kathy
    7 years ago
    I like the white ceiling because the dark color seems to lower the ceiling and close in the room. Otherwise I like the floors and walls. Beautiful house.
  • groveraxle
    7 years ago

cassi, congrats on the new baby and on the transformation to this room. You've done a great job.

I caution about a larger sectional. The one you have seems the perfect size, and nothing will screw up a room faster than a sectional that's too big. How about a couple of small swivel chairs in front of the TV wall? They'll make a cozy group around the fireplace for socializing, and could swivel to watch the TV.

cassithomas5 thanked groveraxle
  • auntthelma
    7 years ago

Love the built ins and the wood stove. I also like that you lost the end tables and are using a round coffee table. The room looks cozy and comfy and I wouldn't change a thing.

cassithomas5 thanked auntthelma
  • PRO
    Galilee Lighting
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

Adding a chandelier over the sitting area, will define the space and will add beauty and interest to the total look.

If you would like to receive our catalog by email and get more ideas, contact Sales@GalileeLighting.com or visit www.GalileeLighting.com

We offer free design consultation.

White candles chandelier - by Galilee Lighting - Two story living room chandelie · More Info

Pliss`e - Fused glass panels chandelier - by GalileeLighting · More Info

MULTI PENDANT CHANDELIERS FOR TWO STORY LIVING ROOM · More Info

cassithomas5 thanked Galilee Lighting
  • cassithomas5
    Original Author
    7 years ago

is this chair too large?

• groveraxle
    7 years ago

The wing chair is a little large--I'd like to see something with a lower back--but try it to the left of the wood stove with its front feet just on edge of the rug.

• cassithomas5
    Original Author
    7 years ago

you mean in this area right? Will it be ok there in front of a slider do you think? Feeding the baby then ill move the chair and snap a pic!

• Kathy
    7 years ago
    I don't know how my last two comments arrived on this thread...they were totally meant for a different thread. I am so sorry.... I wondered where they went. I wonder if this has happened before when I thought my posts disappeared? Lol
  • User
    7 years ago

Katherine it happened in the last few days on the Australian thread.

• groveraxle
    7 years ago

Yes, Cassi, try the chair in front of the sliding door, but leave plenty of room to walk behind it.