Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jessgertel

In which direction should I run my wood floor?!?!

Jessica
9 years ago
My initial thought is to run in lengthwise from the entrance so that the entrance hall doesn't have small cuts and it draws your eye forward but most of the rooms run in the horizontal direction. But then again there is a large opening between the living room and dining room so lengthwise may be better. Stumped. Help!

Comments (25)

• annmarie2
    9 years ago
    Has framing been done? Often that will dictate floor direction. If it were my house, I would run it horizontal to the front door.
    Jessica thanked annmarie2
  • PRO
    Jessica
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    Actually it's a ceramic "wood" so the framing not an issue. It's really an aesthetic question. Thank you so much.
  • katiemt1995
    9 years ago
    It should run the same direction as the island and dinning table
    Jessica thanked katiemt1995
  • jen046
    9 years ago
    I think the direction of your hallway dictates that the flooring should run horizontal. I wouldn't want stubby little pieces in a narrow hallway.
    Jessica thanked jen046
  • PRO
    Jessica
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    jen046 - wouldn't horizontal mean stubby pieces? Do you mean vertical (from entry to kitchen?)
  • PRO
    Barbara Griffith Designs
    9 years ago
    I would run it lengthwise from the front door..it would expand the look of the entire area..it's a visual thing.
  • PRO
    Jessica
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    so it seems that half of you think parallel to front door and half think perpendicular. so I'm still stumped. Is there a tie breaker out there? Thank you all so much for your help.
  • froggyy
    9 years ago
    It's not 'set in stone' that you should have all of the wood running the same way. The hallway floor area could run vertically from the door, either to the dining or through to the kitchen entrance and the rooms could have the planks running at a right angle so when you turn into the room you still see a vertical run of wood. I have it in my old house. The wood floors were already there when I bought the place. I took out the wall that joined the living area to the hallway to get a feeling of more space and light but the direction of the floors boards in the hallway, running a different direction into the room still give a visual sense of where the hallway is. Accident on my part, not design, but a happy one.
    A different option is vertical parquet - more expensive but would definitely solve the dilemma.
  • jen046
    9 years ago
    I meant horizontal as the plan is shown. The flooring would run parallel to the walls in the hallway.
  • PRO
    Jessica
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    froggyy - would you happen to have a picture of what you are describing?
  • froggyy
    9 years ago
    Sadly no and am not at home so can't snap a picture. You could go to your wood flooring supplier and ask them to lay wood on the floor at right angles to each other (it could even be laminate) just to get the idea. The main thing is if you do go ahead with this is to make certain that the builder finishes the joins nicely and that there is no difference in height. Mine had to be sanded down a little bit to make it completely level (but as yours is new it should be fine).
    In the last comment - I mean't herringbone parquet not vertical.
  • PRO
    Anders Adelfang
    9 years ago
    Lengthwise down the hallway and same direction as the island makes sense to me.
  • PRO
    Jessica
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    so two different directions? okay, I can lay it out to get an idea if I like it. Thanks so much!
  • PRO
    IC CUSTOM HARDWOOD FLOORING
    9 years ago
    Is a frame house? If it is according to NWFA you have to run the floor across the beams. The direction of the floor will create also an illusion the length of the floor will give you the impression of a longer or a larger room.
  • PRO
    Бахтинов Николай архитектор-дизайнер
    9 years ago
    It would be better to change the living and dining room , replace each other
  • PRO
    Jessica
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    The beams are not a factor here. I can run it in any direction I want.
  • PRO
    Jessica
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    Nikolas - why should they be switched?
  • shars55
    9 years ago
    Jessica........I wouldn't switch them....Mine is like yours, and I think the dining room should be closest to the kitchen. Why would you want to traipse through the living room when serving food or walk directly into the dining room from the front door?
    Jessica thanked shars55
  • PRO
    Jessica
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    I wouldn't want to traipse through living room. That's why I asked why he would switch them. It doesn't seem logical, unless I'm missing something. But I'm open to any suggestions :) thanks
  • shars55
    9 years ago
    Doesn't seem logical to me, either! :) I would love to hear why he thinks you should switch them, though.
    Jessica thanked shars55
  • PRO
    Country Gear Ltd.
    9 years ago
    Country Gear Ltd agrees with horizontal to front door direction through out.
  • PRO
    Daniel Dionne Designs llc
    9 years ago
    Definitely perpendicular to the front door. You have two halls, so one of them will end up lengthwise, the other crosswise. Perhaps create one break where the hall turns right, just outside the kitchen, and run it lengthwise down that section of hall only, as froggyy has suggested. I would be more concerned about how the flooring relates to the rooms than the halls. And this approach address that much more pleasingly, as Barbara Griffith Designs has stated. I too would like to understand Nikolas's rationale for suggesting the swap of the Living and Dining Rooms. I definitely like different. IF it makes sense. Different just for the sake of different is just different. Not necessarily useful or good. Not sure, here. Have fun!
    Jessica thanked Daniel Dionne Designs llc
  • PRO
    Jessica
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    Actually the second hallway is a different floor - it's part of the original house and leads to the bedrooms, and for now it's being left alone. So there is actually a break there. The part of the plan that I posted is an addition. I agree with what you are saying about being more concerned with how the flooring relates to the rooms which is why I'm stumped. Wouldn't the flooring look better in the kitchen if it were running parallel to the Island, so you can see it's expanse? And wouldn't it look better in the dining room running parallel to the table? Same thing with the living room...Or are you looking at the living room/dining room as one unit since the floor would continue from one to the other and because of the length of those two rooms together, favoring that direction? By the way, I really do appreciate everyone's help. I'm usually quite decisive but like I said I'm struggling with this one...
  • PRO
    Daniel Dionne Designs llc
    9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago
    The spaces all flow together in a very broad scope. If there is any place to change the orientation, it is definitely at the kitchen doorway because it is narrow and will be much less obvious. Really though, I would base the decision in the kitchen on how you enter the space and as it relates to the most open part of the space. In this case, as you enter. Running it perpendicular to the island will also subtly make the room feel less long, more comfortably proportioned. I stick to lengthwise down the hall and carry it consistently throughout. The main spaces are large enough that, at the end of the day, it really won't make much difference at all. Now consider this: You will almost certainly want to use area rugs, which will further minimize any awareness of whatever decision you make. It looks like a terrific addition. Good for you!