Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sherryvarga

How can I redecorate this hideous kitchen/meals for less than $500?

sherryvarga
9 years ago
I am moving into a 1930's bungalow with a shocking kitchen. The stove space is in a small corner and an enormous fireplace takes up most of the space. We have plans to gut it in 12 months time but I can't live with it like this for a year! What can I do to? How will I fit my oven in? Where will I store my food? What is up with the chalkboard?! Those cupboards and curtains are frightening!! The counter is so narrow it is useless. There is corrugated iron wainscotting in the fridge space and on the inside wall (and down the hall to the back door) And the tiles... ugh! Please Help!!

Comments (18)

• sandkshouse
    9 years ago
    I had the same thought as hatetoshop. Just live with it for a year and save that $500 for the real makeover.
    sherryvarga thanked sandkshouse
  • PRO
    Madden, Slick & Bontempo, Inc
    9 years ago
    Since you are remodeling in 12 months, I wouldn't spend a lot of money. It looks to me that a standard size range (30") will fit in that space. Tight? Yes, but I don't see many alternatives. You could paint the tiles. I did a google search and it is easy to find "how to" directions. It looks like there is a good amount of space around the refrigerator. You could put a pantry cabinet in there for additional storage. Something like this Hemnes cabinet from Ikea might work. You could also slide a cart under that empty space at the end by the door.
    sherryvarga thanked Madden, Slick & Bontempo, Inc
  • PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    9 years ago
    I am afraid I agree you will just go crazy trying to make it work and use that energy planning your fabulous new kitchen. Take the curtains down, you have quite a few cabinets get some nice storage containers for food and as for the chalk board have some fun with it writing notes etc. The only thing I would do is maybe paint that backsplash some great color it is pretty scary. If you spend your time planning the year will go very quickly so have fun. If the stove is working just use it and don't plan any fancy dinner parties.
    sherryvarga thanked Patricia Colwell Consulting
  • User
    9 years ago
    I would just remove the curtains and be done with it. Save the money for the reno.
    sherryvarga thanked User
  • PRO
    Madden, Slick & Bontempo, Inc
    9 years ago
    P.S. forgot say that the room has tons of potential - nice wood floors, lots of light. It will eventually be beautiful.
    sherryvarga thanked Madden, Slick & Bontempo, Inc
  • apple_pie_order
    9 years ago
    I think spending $500 on making the kitchen workable for you for a year is money well spent. Often a year turns into two especially when you move into an old house and things need to be replaced. I suggest that you throw out the curtains immediately. Then find a great wallpaper with the whimsical touches shown in your ideabooks, and wallpaper the backsplash. Or paint the tile backsplash and add some fun curtains, reusing the same curtain rod if possible or just put up whatever simple window treatment takes your fancy. Put a new piece of art over the chalkboard area. Add cheap and cheerful washable rug. If necessary, add a coat of paste wax over the wood floor, or recoat with appropriate varnish if the finish is worn through.

The old range does not look inspiring; the draped electrical cords are not a good sign. If you want to replace it, do, and sell the replacement when you remodel.
    sherryvarga thanked apple_pie_order
  • apple_pie_order
    9 years ago
    What geographic area are you in? Ikea or no Ikea nearby?
  • decoenthusiaste
    9 years ago
    Could you cut off the counter extension by the door and put the stove there to get it out of the cubby? Stick some shelving in the cubby for storage, call the backsplash "fun" for now, remove the curtains and get a rolling cart with more storage for the center of the space.
    sherryvarga thanked decoenthusiaste
  • User
    9 years ago
    I find this odd kitchen charming in it's own way! Well, except for those curtains, be gone;) I think I would put up a beadboard ceiling or some planks and paint in the interm while planning;) Have fun with it!
    sherryvarga thanked User
  • The big house
    9 years ago
    Oh my, that kitchen wins some sort of prize, but not a good one I'm afraid.
    Moving the stove will cost as it needs to be on its own electric circuit and 220 outlet.
    See if you can reverse the refrigerator doors so they open the correct way for your space.
    Add a good sized rolling cart in the middle of the kitchen. It will add more storage and help with the counter issues. Some can even have bar stools with them. Get one you love so you can use it later.
    Paint the tiles.
    Ditch the curtains.
    Add 2 open shelves to the right of the fridge ( if you are able to change the fridge doors) otherwise to the left of the fridge for glassware.
    Ignore the chalkboard and put up a wall pot rack or even peg board for your pots and pans.
    Great original floor and plenty of light from the windows.
    Live with the stove and carefully plot your renovations. Taking a sledgehammer to those cabinets will be most rewarding after a year or 2 of looking at them.
    sherryvarga thanked The big house
  • janeholt
    9 years ago
    I actually think you could have fun with it for the next year. Embrace the tiles and get a fun and colorful rug to go under your table to coordinate with them. Target and Home Goods are great places to look for a rug as well as online at Joss and Main, Wayfair and Overstock.com. Dollar Tree often has fun, colorful plates you could buy to match. Then plan your dream kitchen and save the money to invest in it
    sherryvarga thanked janeholt
  • Lyone Fein
    9 years ago
    The counters are not that narrow---they are still very useful for actual COOKING. Just don't clutter them up with objects like appliances or cannisters, etc. Leave those counters as open space where folks can make sandwiches, do food prep for dinner, etc.
    sherryvarga thanked Lyone Fein
  • goldensister
    9 years ago
    It's a funky kitchen, embrace the funk. Get rid of the curtains and have fun with it.
    sherryvarga thanked goldensister
  • PRO
    Cabinets & Designs
    9 years ago
    Hello sherryvarga
    You should paint your kitchen and add accent color pieces.
  • sherryvarga
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    Great advice, Thank you! There isn't an Ikea nearby apple_pie_order but hopefully I can source some great accents around here. The minute we get the keys those curtains are gone!!
  • flopsycat1
    9 years ago
    The stove and the fireplace are indeed a little odd. Otherwise, I think it's fun and funky. I actually like the patchwork tiles and could certainly live with them for a year. Think of it as an adventure and ( did anyone already mention it?) lose the curtains! Re-post in a year, we'll all be waiting!
    sherryvarga thanked flopsycat1
  • Natalie
    9 years ago
    Hi---oh boy, let's see. Ditch the curtains and the chalkboard (colorful art instead). Paint the yellow trim---different stove.
    I'd spray paint the fireplace and the backsplash a metallic silver. Hang a funky light and live with it for a year. Have Fun!
    [houzz=
    Bedrooms · More Info
    ][houzz=
    Blue and White Modern Abstract Painting · More Info
    ]
    sherryvarga thanked Natalie
Sponsored
High Point Cabinets
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars21 Reviews
Columbus' Experienced Custom Cabinet Builder | 4x Best of Houzz Winner