Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ncollins81

Lighting over kitchen island-appropriate chandelier size??

Noelle D
9 years ago
Hello!

I have a large kitchen island that currently has boring track lighting with 3 dinky hanging lights over it (7 inches wide each). I have lived in my house for 1 year and really want to add more of a wow factor here, the rest of the kitchen is awesome and large.

The island is 52 inches wide, 103 inches long and the ceilings are high.

I wanted to buy 2 of these chandeliers to replace the whole track but am having second thoughts because I don't know if these will look too small....(14 in diameter, 20 3/4 in tall each), especially because I am used to looking at 3 lights- even if they are smaller.

http://www.ballarddesigns.com/camille-chandelier/lighting/chandeliers-pendants/229334?categoryId=10029&fromCart=true

Thanks!

Comments (13)

• PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    9 years ago
    I would go with some rectangular chandaliers if that is the look you like i think the look would be better with such a long island
    Noelle D thanked Patricia Colwell Consulting
  • Noelle D
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    Thank you so much for your comments!

Here are some quick pics I just took, excuse the messes! So there are 2 large islands, the one I am talking about has a sink on it, there is room for seating on the other side. We have lots of lighting in here, a fan (that will also be replaced for something that is more our style), recessed lighting, lighting underneath the cabinets. Dimmer switches for all. I just really like that Camille chandelier by Ballard...I feel like it is a little different than what I have been seeing out there. Also, we are in the middle of painting the neutral color that runs through whole house/kitchen. It is a light greige. The breakfast room/morning room is going to be painted a blue gray except for the wall with the windows, which will be the light greige.

What do you think now that you can see these pics?
  • Noelle D
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    Also, wouldn't want to go with anything that would block those 3 little built in shelves (near sink) too much either...
  • Noelle D
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    Some more pics showing the rest of the space, realized you couldn't see my table in the other ones..would want lights to compliment my distressed set. My two kids under 4 are currently making a mess in here so excuse all the stuff everywhere!
  • PRO
    Whispar Design
    9 years ago
    Thanks for the photos... and don't worry about the mess - we have kids too :)
    So the original dimensions of 103" is that measured from the edge of the built-in shelves or the entire length back to the wall? The reason I am asking is the "effective" visual area is from the shelves to the end of the island.

The Camille is a nice fixture but note the max wattage is 40W. You will not get a lot of usable light which is okay if they are for ambient lighting.

For instance, here is a 12" diameter fixture that accepts up to a standard 100w bulb. The fact that you mentioned dimmers is a great idea and will allow you to control the lighting effect
    Elise Crystal Pendant · More Info

Have you given thought to what type of fixture you want for over that beautiful table? As Patricia mentioned above - something rectangular would be well suited for that space.
  • Noelle D
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    That is a cool fixture, love it! Actually, we don't use these lights too much...they are more for looks for us, we turn them on if we are entertaining, etc. We usually just rely on the ceiling lights.

The 103 in. is from end of counter to shelves, not back wall. It is That back study nook has a lower counter that is 30 in. deep on its own.

We really would like to replace the fan with just a sleeker, more modern looking fan, with dark color. We do love having the fan there in the warm months because we get a ton of sun w those windows, although we have a retractable awning there which helps too. Have any unique fans?

So do you think we could get away with 2 of the Camille lights since it isn't a typical island, considering the placement of the sink and the shelves? I don't think I would like the looks of 3 of those. I would rather just buy 2 bigger, different lights if I can't have those ones.

:) Thank you!!
  • PRO
    Whispar Design
    9 years ago
    Here is a very rough rendering of the fixture you prefer: I scaled it based on your dimensions of 7" for the old pendants.
    Noelle D thanked Whispar Design
  • Noelle D
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    OMG thank you so much, that is awesome that you could even do that! I think it looks great, especially because I can visualize them with the paint changes, and we are taking those window treatments down because they won't go with the look of everything else.

I think they look ok size wise, what do you think?
  • PRO
    Lightkulture
    9 years ago
    Please visit our website for more inspiration
    Noelle D thanked Lightkulture
  • PRO
    Whispar Design
    9 years ago
    Scale-wise - I think they work quite well!
    With regards to window treatments, you seem to have a great view and nice windows - perhaps consider stationary panels to add some color/texture to the space. I did another rendering using our mini cornice's which have a built in rod. Might make for a nice softer and updated look to the space and still preserve your views.
    Cornice Window Treatments - Dining Room · More Info
    Noelle D thanked Whispar Design
  • Noelle D
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    Wow, that really gives it a new look. I love the style of those treatments. I will definitely consider that. I love how it doesn't cover the view at all. We do have a very private lot high up on a hill. The only thing, do you think treatments like that are too formal for our kitchen? We have a formal dining room off the kitchen, pictured. Again, table is a mess w window treatments and stuff from painting!
  • PRO
    Interior Affairs -- Vickie Daeley
    9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago
    That is one big island! Use two chandeliers...