Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
uhussa

Living room design

uhussa
9 years ago
We want to get rid of the entertainment center in our living room. We thought of buying a smaller TV to place it in the TV space above the fireplace. It has a cable outlet and a wall outlet so that works. However, we're not sure of where to keep the devices(cable box, Playstation, Boombox) that are connected to the TV.

We initially thought of putting a shelf near the right window and placing the devices on it. But that would expose the wires.

Any advice would be appreciated!

Thank you!

Comments (25)

• PRO
    flair lighting
    9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago
    can we see different views of the room? this isnt enough. maybe we can rearrange?
  • acm
    9 years ago
    I gather that you can get something that allows you to place such things remotely -- like a transmitter that connects behind the TV and talks to your cable box across the room. Haven't done it myself, but worth asking about.
    uhussa thanked acm
  • uhussa
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    Please see the images attached. The position where I'm taking the picture from leads to the dining area and kitchen.

acm: Thank you for the info. I'll look into it. I wonder if it would connect my Playstation as well.
  • PRO
    flair lighting
    9 years ago
    i wouldnt want my tv wall mounted above the fireplace here, between the looking left to see it from the sofa and the looking up......neck cramp. only the person on the far left would have and comfort there. it is time to loose the black love seat. put the tv on that wall with a console table, and add an arm chair where the tv is now. drywall over the hole above the fireplace and hang art there.
    uhussa thanked flair lighting
  • btydrvn
    9 years ago
    Can the opening be enlarged? So that equipment can be above or below the TV?...
    do you have another TV in another location the equipment can be moved to?..
    unless you really want a smaller TV ...recommend mounting the larger TV over the hole with an extended wall mount..
  • btydrvn
    9 years ago
    If you install TV as low as possible ..only partially covering the hole ...would the space above be big enough and accessible enough to install a shelf for the equipment?
  • abbyjean
    9 years ago
    That is just way too high to comfortably watch tv. flair is right on with drywalling that hole and putting art there.
  • uhussa
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    I like that idea too. However, it'd be a shame to lose that space. Instead of drywalling it, how about throwing a sculpture of something in there? Would that mess up the look?
  • abbyjean
    9 years ago
    I think a sculpture up there is a wonderful idea! How deep is the opening? It looks huge.
  • uhussa
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    It is a huge opening. About 30"H x 26"D x 46"W in dimension.
  • abbyjean
    9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago
    That is big. It is going to be hard to fill, but I understand what you are saying about losing the space, too. I have to say that I could see a nice big plant on the edge of it with part of it trailing down to fill in some of that space, too.
  • uhussa
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    I like the plant idea. But I have this in mind: http://www.restorationhardware.com/catalog/product/product.jsp?productId=prod1870278&categoryId=cat5300037

I'll end up with a fake plant....which I abhor.
  • groveraxle
    9 years ago
    Why do you hate to lose the space? What's it good for? It's too high for a TV and too high for a sculpture as well. Drywall over and hang a beautiful piece of art...or a canary...
  • uhussa
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    too high for a sculpture? no way.
  • abbyjean
    9 years ago
    Beautiful piece. You will need more with it, looking at the size.
  • PRO
    Interior Affairs -- Vickie Daeley
    9 years ago
    Is this your home? If it is then you can hide the cables and cords behind and inside the drywall. the items cable box etc, do need a place to be stored but if you have infared or radio- frequency...you can place those items in a closet nearby!
  • uhussa
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    Hi Vickie, it is my home. I am leaning towards not putting a tv up there anymore.
  • abbyjean
    9 years ago
    Red accent colors, as in pillows, to play with the art....nice!
  • abbyjean
    9 years ago
    If you find art that covers and fills up the space, you could just hang it OVER the opening in case you ever changed your mind later.
    uhussa thanked abbyjean
  • uhussa
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    Nice! Groveraxle. I like the look.
  • groveraxle
    9 years ago
    abbyjean, I think art big enough to cover the opening and hang at the right height would overpower the fireplace. And the windows. The whole room, in fact.

Although the niche looks big enough for you to put a bed in there and rent it out. ;-)
  • abbyjean
    9 years ago
    It is a huge space, isn't it. Heck, fill it full of firewood!
  • PRO
    flair lighting
    9 years ago
    abbey that is a cool idea.....really. but i think, you can use the electric to instal and art light instead, have a clock out let put in when you close it up. and they you will have this very cool intentional lit art. tv on love seat wall.
  • PRO
    flair lighting
    9 years ago
    example.