Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ducatim900me

Need help with color options for a backsplash and floor

Matthew
9 years ago
Attached are several photos highlight a kitchen in need of some updating. We will be replacing all of the appliances with new stainless steel refrigerator, stove, microwave, and dishwasher. The vintage Jenn-Air stove will be replaced with a more modern glass top electric slide-in stove and I will be installing an island vent (any suggestions). The vinyl floor will be ripped up and I would like to put down tile. I will also add a backsplash. With regard to the cabinets I am thinking of just replacing the hardware, I know that the cabinets have that light 90's coloring; but I am hoping I can avoid painting or refacing them for now they are solid oak and in good shape I cant afford it right now. The granite has a touch of salmon or pink, at least it seems to with the current lighting. I am a man of modest means, so please keep that in mind. If you have any suggestions on color theory please enlighten me. I am trying to hide the salmon / pink in the granite as much as possible.

The house is situated on the Chesapeake Bay, I am hoping to adapt coastal living and geocentric nautical / historic colors and feel. Much of the rooms are white in this part of the house which I like.

Comments (11)

• lucidos
    9 years ago
    I suggest a downdraft stove. It will eliminate the need for an overhead fan and allow you some great lighting for the center of that kitchen.

So several suggestions:

The mirrored pantry (laundry?) doors. No. Just no. Mimic the 6 panel door in view.

The light, something with a nautical impression such as the image below. The current one you could probably sell for a good chunk of change to someone doing a McM reno.

If possible add pot lighting and a pendant over the sink.

Think twice about tossing the dishwasher if it is working properly. You can reface it with a special stainless type contact paper.

See about removing the bulkhead/soffit then trimming out the top of the cabinets in a crown molding. If you do remove the soffit bring the cabinet forward that is above the fridge.

Don't get snuckered into a counter depth fridge for that spot. There is so much less cubic feet of storage.

See about replacing the top doors to match the bottoms in style.

Hardware should match the metal of the kitchen faucet.

Backsplash. I would wait until you select the flooring. Current trend is subway tiles. I would pick up the taupe color in the Caledonia granite.

Mid grey blue accessories with the taupe would give a proper Chesapeake Bay color theme.
  • Natallie Allison
    9 years ago
    I dont think thats salmon! I think its just the light reflection off different elements. so to keep in budget You need to choose your flooring! I think you should go with a gray or black ceramic! not your typical square tile but The newer tiles like wood floor planks or subway style! Think of picking out a natural look for the back splash! bring in the darker tan and grey and maybe some light grey or white with a ruff stone look small decorative is different size is okay! Must replace those mirror doors of you cant afford to do that then must paint the brass on it either silver or black!!! Add a simple window treatment! Also if you can splurge a little maybe pick up a few ritton bars tools with high backs on them!
  • PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    9 years ago
    I do see the salmon in the granite but with gray walls and a new LED light fixture it will probably not be too bad. As for the mirrored door get them out of there even if you have to live with none for a bit. While you replacing appliances look at counter depth fridges and induction cooktops you won't regret either of those choices.Just so you know there is very little difference between counter depth and regular fridge storage space and you don't have that elephant in the room sticking out past all your cabinets.and get all new appliances so you know what you have starting out. I would leave the windows bare unless you need privacy
  • Matthew
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    I am not a big fan of the transition between the wood floor and the tiled area. My concern with a rectangular tile is that it may not flow well with the circular transition cut from the wood. I will have to get samples and play with the color, grey would be great... If I can make it work.
  • Matthew
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    I agree the glass doors have to go, we are thinking of replacing them with white doors for now. However a splash of color would he really cool there.
  • lucidos
    9 years ago
    I think you are right the squareness of the tile or never being able to match that wood. Another option is needed and my suggestion for the floor is going with marmoleum with a border pattern. They can follow the contour of the curve with the border. There is no pattern or design or color that can't be done. The floor is tougher than nails, easy to clean and looks stunning.

http://www.forboflooringna.com/Commercial-Flooring/Products/Marmoleum/
    Matthew thanked lucidos
  • anhscott
    9 years ago
    We have the same problem. Lol
  • lucidos
    9 years ago
    Yikes Anhscott You could use a newer backsplash and some rug runners and perhaps new counters. But I suggest you make your own thread.
  • A&R bought a ranch
    9 years ago
    oops hit enter too soon. Cool toned browns and grays with accents of teal/turquoise/aqua would help tone down the salmon. Have you thought about sanding and refinishing just the island base to a different wood tone? Staining or painting it a different color would add interest. I'd definitely update or remove the mirrored doors first thing. They instantly date everything. As for the blacksplash, glass tile in earth tones would look beautiful and not compete with that amazing view. Depending on the size of your island check out Rock Solid, QSC, and Absolute kitchen and baths for remant pieces.
  • Juliet Docherty
    9 years ago
    I would have a counter depth fridge, rip out all of the upper cupboards apart from the one above the cupboard to the left of the fridge. I would then put up chunky open shelving to replace the lost cupboards. I would also straighten the internal island. What is in the pantry?
    Matthew thanked Juliet Docherty