Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
audra_buchanan

need help with living room arrangement

Audra Buchanan
9 years ago
We have live in our home for 5 years now and I finally put a mirror up. This is our main tv watching area. I just purchased a couch, loveseat and chair with ottoman and I am trying to make them work in my funky living room. The fireplace is in a bad spot and the tv is in the opposite corner. My sister has the same house and her furniture is all pushed back on the wall. I was trying to pull mine out. we haven't purchase a rug yet. sorry for the mess. I can clean up and repost if needed.

Comments (32)

• decoenthusiaste
    9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago
    Another "set" attack!!! Can you return the loveseat? Don't unwrap the lamp until you're certain is it a keeper with your furniture.
  • PRO
    Dytecture
    9 years ago
    Not crazy about the current angled furniture arrangement.
  • kevinliddy
    9 years ago
    I would maybe try and move the love seat. It seems to be cutting off the flow of the house. Have you thought about moving the TV above the fireplace?
  • Audra Buchanan
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    I didn't realize sets were bad until I purchased it and started looking. :( I thought about moving the tv but it would be really high then.
  • User
    9 years ago
    Big chunky furniture in a small space is difficult. Can you remove one of the sofas?
  • kevinliddy
    9 years ago
    Ever think about a sectional couch?
  • Audra Buchanan
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    I would of purchased different furniture but I am stuck with this now. I would like to make this work. Thanks Here is a drawing of my room and another pic
  • decoenthusiaste
    9 years ago
    Try the love under the window, the large sofa centered on the wall and the chair where you have the love now.
  • kevinliddy
    9 years ago
    I know you said the TV would be too high if you put it on top of the fireplace, but if you did, then maybe you can put the love seat in front of the window, large couch against the wall, and the chair where the TV currently is.

Something else you can possibly do is find another room for the chair that way the family room doesn't feel like there's so much furniture in the room. Like Rainymorning said, working with chunky furniture in a smaller room can be difficult. If you find a room for the chair then you can pretty much keep everything the same. Maybe angle the love seat so your back is directly facing the window and not on an angle, then put an end table between the large couch and love seat. Just some ideas.
  • PRO
    Sandy G. ltd.
    9 years ago
    It would help to straighten up the furniture and, yes, against the wall / window wall.

You might try this.

Place the love seat in front of the windows, the sofa against the wall opposite the dining room entrance, and the chair/ottoman angled to the fireplace at the end of the sofa closest to the stairway.

A large area rug is going to make a huge difference, defining the conversation area and settling down all of the angles.

You will have to work on the fireplace mantle and wall above it, things are out of scale there. Adding artwork throughout will cozy up the space, and I know you know that!

Can we see the corner that has the TV in it, please? Is the TV on a cabinet that is angled?

And, I am going to take you up on your offer to remove things that are not part of furniture placement - vacuum, etc. Thanks!
  • Audra Buchanan
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    I can put the chair in my bedroom If I need to. Here is pictures with the vacuum out.
  • Audra Buchanan
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    I move tv down and placed the chair by the rails. The chair was too bulky.
  • kevinliddy
    9 years ago
    I personally think the TV would look neat on the fireplace and put the TV stand centered against the wall and maybe put the pictures and mirror (currently on the fireplace) on the wall above the TV stand.
  • Audra Buchanan
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    Here is one of the arrangement you guys have suggested. I like it. The only problem is my darn tv. :) The way I have it now make my living room feel smaller. I like it better in the corner angled but then it seems too far from the furniture!
  • Audra Buchanan
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    kevinliddy I am not sure what I would do with all the wires if I put the tv up there.
  • kevinliddy
    9 years ago
    I like how you centered the TV and switched the decor around and the couch looks a lot better in front of the window like that instead of it being on angle. Have you tried moving the lamp between the love seat and the couch?
  • groveraxle
    9 years ago
    This last looks like your best arrangement. It's most functional and gives you the space you need in a difficult room. Get one of those swivel thingies to put under the TV so you can leave the console flat on the wall but turn the screen for better viewing.
  • groveraxle
    9 years ago
    Now, I would put an end table with lamp in the corner between sofa and loveseat, small round end table between sofa and chair, coffee table, and area rug, and of course, big art on the wall over the couch. Then it will feel cohesive and cozy.
  • Audra Buchanan
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    Thanks everyone. I think I do like this best. time to go buy some tables and lamps. What size rug do you guys recommend? Do I go with more of a gray or cream and brown?
  • kevinliddy
    9 years ago
    I would say a cream color
  • Audra Buchanan
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    yes there are cabinets
  • groveraxle
    9 years ago
    Get a rug about the size shown above: 2 feet longer than the sofa, and 2 feet wider than the loveseat approximately.
  • User
    9 years ago
    Grover, the rug and colors look great!
  • decoenthusiaste
    9 years ago
    When I posted that furniture arrangement I sent a table and lamp chart to help you get sizes right but didn't explain.. Now that the furniture is in place you can start on tables, rug and art.
  • Audra Buchanan
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    I don't want a rug with color. I am a neutral girl. Would a round jute rug work?
  • PRO
    Sandy G. ltd.
    9 years ago
    Thanks groveraxle for your rendering. . . and info.

The mirror on the stairway wall should be replaced with large art. The mirror is a nice piece and will surely find another wall to hang out on in your room, if not in another room in your home. It really isn't adding anything there

You basically have blank slate with this room. As far as a rug goes, you might consider an area rug that is plush, shag or flokati, the room is missing texture.

As far as shape of the rug goes, it is more personal taste. Remember that a round rug will not reach all of the feet of the furniture and the grouping might not be as tightly connected as a result. Round rugs are great under a round dining set and not as often in a LR setting. I would recommend a round cocktail table if you are headed in this direction. Another thing you could look for is a dark, contrasting binding stitched around the circumference. This would add dimension and contrast to the room.a
  • Audra Buchanan
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    and I need a cheep rug right now. We have a dog that loves to use the potty on rugs. what about this?
  • Dar
    9 years ago
    Definitely need some color in the rug..With all the matchy-matchy going on. grover axle diagram is great...and return the nrass?? lamp
  • Dar
    9 years ago
    Sorry. .brass lamp I meant..and the rug in groveraxle's first diagram is much more interesting.
  • User
    9 years ago
    Grover's renderings show that a patterned rug looks best. With having a dog, children and on a tight budget, your best bet would be an indoor-outdoor rug. Jute is not easy to clean, not pet friendly and uncomfortable under stocking feet.
Sponsored
Snider & Metcalf Interior Design, LTD
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars23 Reviews
Leading Interior Designers in Columbus, Ohio & Ponte Vedra, Florida