Help with standing patio water
jacko2983
I recently purchased my home and as you can see in the photo I have a patio that needs a little help. The crack in the patio isn't a concern at this time, but the standing water is really bothering me. The grass hits the patio slightly higher so any water that is on the patio just stands on the last 3 feet of the patio instead of draining away. Is there anything I can do in my yard (digging, certain landscaping, adding rock, or anything) that will help the water drain away? Also as you can see in the photo, the grass has died right where the patio and yard meets so it's all dirt - and when the patio is wet it carries mud all over it. At this time I do not plan on changing the patio or repaving it - I'm looking for something I can do on the yard side that might solve this issue. Thanks!

- Editing to add --- where that one landscaping stone is in the center is there because we had an old gas pipe, 4" around, that we recently cut out, but it sticks up still about 1" out of the ground with sharp edges. I have that there so the kids dont step on it right now before I get a cap for it.
dibenjamin
Dig the grass area down to be level with the patio, and **grade it away from the patio**. Or make a depression (a small trench) along the edge and fill it with river stone. That is stopping short of putting a french drain in there. You might want to edge that with plastic (sorry) to keep the stones in place. (I don't like to suggest plastic but there it is.)
May 26, 2012 at 9:43AM     
jacko2983
Thank you. Do you think if I do the trench with river stone I could make it about 2-2.5 feet wide off of the patio and put a couple stepping stones in it with the rock around it? Very new to landscaping so I'm picturing it but not sure it will work.
May 26, 2012 at 11:25AM   
dibenjamin
Yes, I think that would be ok. The main thing is to pitch the land away from the patio, so the water doesn't collect there, and has a place to run. It will filter thru the rocks, and would also still be able to filter around the stepping stones.
May 26, 2012 at 12:46PM     
bagofchips
Remember whatever you put on the edge (rock, channel drain, french drain pipe below the rock...) has to one way or other drain get the water to drain away from the patio. You can terraform the slope or just have the perimeter do the same work. By the photo, absent regrading, looks like you gotta drain to the left, unless the rock / drain also can go under the retaining wall and then to daylight...
May 26, 2012 at 9:37PM     
How many walls should I paint?
I've started painting a guest room in a quilted fashion...
Drape-gate
Due to a Houzz issue and amount of comments on the...
Help! please! Living Room/ Family Room Crisis
We can not figure how to decorate or remodel this wall....
KITCHEN HELP!
What can I do to spruce this up? ANY and all comments...
What's the oldest photograph in your house?
There is something so lovely about old photographs,...