Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
laxin213

Exterior Remodeling - 80's Contemporary into More Craftsman Style

laxin213
9 years ago
Looking for remodel ideas to convert an 80's contemporary style exterior to more of a craftsman / arts & crafts style. The current siding is white Cedar tongue and groove (not T111) all painted brown. 3/1 shingles. We live in a heavily wooded area and have to spray for carpenter bees and wasps and have trouble with them boring into siding, and the woodpeckers going for them and going a lot of damage. Also living outside of Buffalo, a good roof is a must. Leaning heavily towards a metal roof, and for siding ideas was thinking hardi plank with a style mix or perhaps a couple colors or the concrete cedar shake shingle look in the top peaks of the house.

Looking for design ideas, color ideas, material ideas, etc

Extra Background Info: We are a newly married couple. We bought this house last year. It was built in 1985. We struggled with buying a lot and building, and I had looked at Timber frame Homes (a builder timberbuilt is nearby) , log homes, etc. I have framed houses before as side job for summer work in college and although I'm fairly handy didn't want a 30 year old house and to do a lot of remodeling. The house came with 7 wooded acres, a huge 1000' sq foot deck, 8' wide brick fireplace in a massive great room with wood ceilings, an added Florida room with 20 windows, power skylights, a separate furnace, and most importantly a hot hub. It was trade offs like this that brought us to buy, and now we are facing an exterior remodel, a possible addition, and a kitchen makeover - the not so nice parts of the house.

Comments (6)