Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kathykretz

Barn door

Kathryn Kretz
9 years ago
I restored this 150 year old barn door and love the results!

Comments (22)

• zazfuzzroc
    9 years ago
    Wow! That's really beautiful. Very rich color too. Looks terrific in place. Congrats on the great work! :)
  • retroearth
    9 years ago
    Your door looks nice but I think you could have used new wood to achieve the look. The old door had a great primitive patina that is impossible to duplicate. I'm sad to see it go.
  • PRO
    Linda Mayo
    9 years ago
    Looks great! That's a lot of work!
  • magada
    9 years ago
    I don't see what would have been gained by keeping it "in it's juice" the patina wasn't that awesome but now it looks great, love the way you kept the bottom still slightly chewed.
    Well done !
  • bungalowmo
    9 years ago
    Wow....that is beautiful!! What kind of treatments did you use for the finish??
  • Kathryn Kretz
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    The barn was in the process of being torn down I saved the door from the fire pit along with other barn siding. The door it's self has no stain on it. But the added trim pieces do. I waxed the cedar door with a product called Howard Feed-N-Wax, applied with a natural bristle brush. Thank you for all your kind words, I am not a professional just someone who has a love of design.
  • zazfuzzroc
    9 years ago
    That makes it even more impressive! :)
  • PRO
    Gilmans Kitchens and Baths
    9 years ago
    Great work! Looks amazing! - Janis, GKB
  • Kathryn Kretz
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    I loved the patina also but I really couldn't save it, the bottom of the door was full of manuire and needed to be cleaned due to the smell it was putting off inside my home.
  • Kathryn Kretz
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    Here is another photo of the door before the waxing. I included other photos from the same project. Thanks for your interest.
  • Kathryn Kretz
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    Here are more photos of the barn wood all from the same barn. The tractor seat and sickle on the mantle were also found in the barn. The mantle was the main support beam in the barn.
  • PRO
    Amba Products
    9 years ago
    i love re-purposed barn wood, it has too much character to just throw away. As grobby said, the stain for the door is beautiful!

Sliding barn doors for interior application is all the rage these days and you are finding more and more people putting them into their homes. Not only do they save space, but they are a great design feature! We have many different styles of barn door hardware to choose from, please feel free to look.
  • Kathryn Kretz
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    The barn door was not stained at all it was waxed, the only stained pieces are the detailed trim pieces I added for character. I love the end result!
  • Kathryn Kretz
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    Retroearth I could not achieve the same look with new wood although the patina has changed the weathered earthy look of the wood remains. It doesn't show well in pictures but the wood is grainy and etched that gives it the true authenticity.
  • PRO
    Amba Products
    9 years ago
    Kathryn - no stain?! I am even more in love with it now :)
  • PRO
    Crown Construction Contracting
    9 years ago
    What an amazing room and a wonderful way to re-purpose barn wood! Beautiful work...you have a lot of patience and talent for sure. :)
  • PRO
    Circle Goods Reclaimed
    9 years ago
    Do you have a picture of the original side of the door that is shown in the after pictures? Where did you get your hardware?
  • Kathryn Kretz
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    I purchase the hardware at NW Artisan Hardware. And I tried to get some photos of the back of the door as it hangs so they are not very good. I also took a couple of pics close up of the front of the door
  • Kathryn Kretz
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    Here are the close ups!
  • PRO
    OTM Designs & Remodeling Inc.
    9 years ago
    Looks great!
  • Kelly Mack Hayward
    9 years ago
    Beautiful home, wonderful job with the barn door absolutely love it!!!