Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hzdeleted_2265972

Should I paint the walls a color with the stained wainscoting below?

User
11 years ago
I was thinking of painting the walls in our morning room a shade of green, as that is an accent color I have in the adjoining family room. However, as I was "virtually" painting the walls on behr.com, I am second guessing myself. The colors (I tried many different ones) looked odd above the stained wainscoting. Most of our downstairs is neutral shades of tan, so I was trying to add a splash of color....now not so sure?! :-/

Comments (20)

• User
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    We are also on the hunt for a new kitchen table.
  • PRO
    karen paul interiors
    11 years ago
    Which behr paint color are you visualizing? Would it be more comfortable for you to continue your paint color from the other areas and possibly introduce the green at your windows, perhaps a print utilizing several colors? Also, it would be great to get a closer look at your Oriental rug. There might be a clue there as to a good coordinating color if you were to paint the walls.
  • pcmom1
    11 years ago
    I am no designer, I decorate by trial and error, but here are my humble opinions: Your wood has a lot of orange tones, the green may just be too much of the opposite.

If you have tan elsewhere, how about going a little bolder? How about a rich coffee color on at least that one large wall? My own kitchen has a rich dark greenish brown (hard to describe the color) on one wall, and I love it.

I would add a huge piece of art to the wall: large french food advertisement?

Your table: Maybe you could have someone stain or paint the top of your table and the chairs in a rich brown or black. Adding cushions to the chairs is a spot you can add some color. Maybe something a little larger and more eye catching topping the table.

I love the material you have on the banquette against the back wall. I think if you replace the rug under your table with something more modern and bolder in the same colors: black, deep browns, green and tan, the room would really pop.
  • User
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    Thanks for the tips. I think the green that I would like would be better off just in accent pieces. I bought the rug a few years ago when we changed the color scheme to more neutrals, and was pretty desperate b/c the floor is so cold without the rug. I should look for a new one. I like the idea of just upping the boldness of the wall color. Will "virtually" try some of those online. That huge spot of wall space actually had a cool clock on it, but I just took it down b/c it stopped working, Need a new one...or maybe some art. Thanks again! I have some shopping to do!! :)
  • PRO
    Dytecture
    11 years ago
    Hi Allison, do you have the paint reference number for the color you are thinking of? I think a pale shade of green would be a nice touch this space.

Kitchen · More Info
  • PRO
    Charmean Neithart Interiors
    11 years ago
    The style of your windows and the center beam make these spaces feel like a Craftsman. Consider a gray/green like Northhampton Putty by Benjamin Moore. Hope that helps. Charmean Neithart
  • pcmom1
    11 years ago
    Go out and buy those sample size paints! I think gray/green would look good. But, first thing is to find your new rug! That before paint color!
  • lefty47
    11 years ago
    last modified: 11 years ago
    HI -- Maybe the color of the wainscoting is making the choice difficult. You could paint it white for a fresher look but maybe these colors will suit you. Behr -Citron -400B-4 or Pale Daffodil 370A-2 or Banana Split 360A-3 . Get some samples to try.You have to see the color in place at several times of day to know for sure. When all else fails try Benjamin Moore colors " Florentine Plaster "CC-520 or " Revere Pewter" HC-172 , these colors seem to go with everything.
  • Susan Glenn
    11 years ago
    This might just be me, but if you're at an impasse with the Wainscot, why not eliminate it altogether? I used to love it, but I think it just takes such valuable wall space...I'm short, so naturally I look taller wearing "like colors" on top and bottom..it does take off height. I would get rid of it and use a wide moulding around the doors and windows....that house is gorgeous! Look at the photo of the kitchen you posted, and note the wide moulding...it can make a window look like a painting, because you're "framed" it. Just a thought!
  • zelliegirl
    11 years ago
    I have maple kitchen cabinets, talk about orange, and I found that a yellows or golds with a touch of green or brown in the same value (lightness or darkness) of the cabinets makes them disappear. Creams and khakis can tone down the natural woods too. I held color swatch after color swatch up until I found one that didn't fight but rather softened the orangey color. You could paint the board a coffee color and the wall above a creamy color that "go with" your fabric on benches and pillows. I also like the idea of different rug....again to go with your fabric, maybe a muted, darker solid if your style is more traditional, or maybe a bit more colorful solid, or squares, strips or simple pattern if you want a more transitional/modern pop. Painting the table top and it's aprons would be an easy fix, go darker on the table top, and a bit lighter on the rug. Have a glazer cut a glass top for the table and you won't have to worry about paint chipping. Mixing darks and lights in solids and simple patterns will give warmth and depth to your room....which has a great light and easy feel to it. Good luck!
  • Ann Marin
    11 years ago
    I would paint the wainscot and trim white and bring a pale blue or pale gray in.
  • pcmom1
    11 years ago
    last modified: 11 years ago
    Just noticed your fan. I think upgrading it to one of the great ones out there now, would be a wonderful addition to the room.

A little late to be asking this: is this your "formal" dining? You certainly have the room for a larger table.
  • User
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    Interesting thoughts everyone! Funny that you mention the fan...I was just looking at some today! I HATE that one in there now!! I shopped for rugs today, found a couple I like, along with some green accent pieces. I like the wide moulding around the windows in that pic too, dont think the hubby will want to redo everything though!
  • Susan Glenn
    11 years ago
    I think you can pull off just about any color that suits you..you have a LOT of neutrals. What's your favorite color? Are you partial to blues or greens, or are you trying to stay in the "earthy" colors? It's YOUR dining room! I'll still say that your floors are GORGEOUS and I'd showcase those with smooth walls from floor to ceiling, but if you're set on it, pick a color that is in the rug that catches your eye..you're not limited! Look at this..they used two paint shades, but I love either...that blue is GORGEOUS...but so is that light shade of green... http://www.wallmasterspainting.com/files/photos/2010-09%20090.preview.jpg
  • User
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    This is not our "formal" dining room, but where we eat every day. We are looking for a bigger table with 6 chairs. Found a beautiful table yesterday with a friend. Have to bring the hubby back to take a look. I think Ifound a rug too. Has some browns and greens. We do like earthy colors, and have found some new pillows to spruce up the bench a bit.
  • pcmom1
    11 years ago
    Please send us photos and let us see your progress!
  • Serrina P
    11 years ago
    I agree with Susan. I think the wainscoting breaks up the wall and doesn't do justice to the beautiful windows. I would think about removing it, even though it probably seems like a hassle because you would have to replace the base moulding and fix the wall. But that would be a great opportunity to replace the trim around the windows. :-)
  • pcmom1
    11 years ago
    I agree with others that the room would be better without the wainscoting. But also know that husbands a lot of the times: 1. Hate changes and 2. Have some weird attachment to wood. (you can't paint it).

Could we make the wainscoting go away some by painting the walls in a very similar color?

I think the wainscoting would look better if it went all the wall to the top of the door frames. It would feel more deliberate and the room wouldn't feel "cut off at the knees".