Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
webuser_323176528

Will this ceiling height change look weird?

HU-323176528
13 days ago
last modified: 12 days ago

We are adding an extension to our home which will be a kitchen. In the red box, the ceiling height will be 9ft but the rest of our home will be 8ft.

My husband, architect and contractor all think this will look good but I think it's going to look odd? What do you all think? I'm just having a really hard time envisioning it and can't find any examples of anyone doing something like this.

Comments (24)

• oreet
    13 days ago

It will look beautiful. I would go to 10’ if possible.

• auntthelma
    13 days ago

I dont think itd that weird to have a change in ceiling height.

• PRO
    Diana Bier Interiors, LLC
    13 days ago

I don’t think it does much. If you were going to do a cathedral or vaulted ceiling then it would make a nice statement. But a one foot difference could look like a mistake.

• shirlpp
    13 days ago

What red box?

• kandrewspa
    13 days ago

Your pictures/drawing didn't upload. I agree with Diana, that if it just jumps up one foot (flat ceiling to flat ceiling) that could look odd, but since it's architect designed I assume there is something else going on that we don't know about to finesse the change. Friends of ours added on to the back of their house to enlarge their kitchen. The whole kitchen moved so it was all under the new roofline, which is vaulted since there's nothing over it. This is commonly done and looks fine.

• dan1888
    13 days ago

We can't assume anything. Pics/renderings are necessary.

• Otter Play
    13 days ago

Couple questions. 1) Where does the raised ceiling end? I’m not bothered by the pantry location, but if the red box is the boundary for the 9 ft ceiling, what does that do to the fridge? 2) How many people will you regularly seat in the kitchen? Five seems like a lot, particularly when they are getting into the pathway to the pantry. Best of luck with your project!

• PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    13 days ago

Why and for sure why in the kitchen .

• PRO
    13 days ago

Just because an architect drew it doesn't necessarily mean it's a good idea.

I used an architect for a project once and didn't like a lot of what he proposed. I changed architects and had a much better design.

• TanCalGal
    13 days ago

A tray celinig might be nice: 8 feet around perimter of kitchen and 9 feet at kitchen center.

• PRO
    Arden Hills Estates
    12 days ago

I think it will point out the shortness of the rest. Tray ceiling was a good idea. Or...if possible a taller cathedral ceiling would make it look intentional. The new foot difference will not leave you wanting so much for more height in the rest...I think.

• herbflavor
    12 days ago

since the kitchen is quite large I would work that into a detail for the space. Gather some inspiration pics and start working on the design of the kitchen .....details for cohesiveness. Do you have an actual kitchen design team? Large kitchens are not that simple to get right. I dont care for the position of fridge...but anyway...

Midtown - American Foursquare · More Info

Tuscan Villa · More Info

BreakfastForFour · More Info

Coastal Kitchen · More Info

HU-323176528 thanked herbflavor
  • HU-121436380
    12 days ago

Nothing to do with ceiling height, but is your fridge really going to that far from the kitchen with a barrier island making it even more difficult to reach? I’d be more concerned about thr kitchen layout than ceiling heights.

• Susan L
    12 days ago

I think the raised tray over island is a good idea. The whole thing being raised would be strange - it would make that area have an identity as a separate room, which I don’t think you want.

What do you think about the dining table extending into the walkway? Will there be a chandelier over it? And do you have to scooch around the table to get to the deck with the grill?

The fridge location is really bad.

Without understanding the rest of the floor plan or the constraints, it’s hard to know if the layout can be improved.

• palimpsest
    12 days ago

I don't think it adds anything, particularly because it's not over the entire kitchen footprint.

I know there's a higher ceiling fetish where people do them even when they make no design sense, but this makes no design sense.

• H. Falls
    12 days ago

I would not be at all concerned about the kitchen height. I have seen it done beautifully and it helps keeps the steam and heat further from the cooks! Not part of your question, but why is the fridge not in the rendering...?

• PRO
    Zumi
    12 days ago

The whole thing is a terrible design. Kick the architect to the curb.

• HU-432451269
    12 days ago

This is a poor design idea. Continuity should exist between spaces. Additions should not be an obvious discontinuous blob. They should look as though they were part of the original home. Plus, that kitchen layout just reaffirms that 98% of architects cannot design kitchens.

• PRO
    12 days ago

To H. Falls' comment, the refrigerator is in the rendering, but it's across the walkway aisle out of the work area. I would move it to the end of the run where the range is now, and move the range to the opposite side of the "U." Possibly add a prep sink in the island.

I would also eliminate the two seats at the end of the island--there isn't enough room in the aisle for those two seats. On the plus side, I like the long bank of windows at the sink, and the U-shaped kitchen. Nice dining area with the sliding doors to the deck.

• PRO
    Minardi
    12 days ago

Yes, it will look weird. And it will cost you thousands of extra dollars in cabinetry, if you want cabinets to the ceiling. An addition should look seamless to the rest of the house. Proportionate, with similar characteristics. What that looks like is that you want a different, bigger, house. Which, you should probably explore. That is not going to be a cheap change.

• PRO
    10 days ago

I just came across this article about a ranch renovation. Scroll to the photos of the kitchen to see a change in ceiling height that makes sense and looks great:

https://www.theglampad.com/2024/05/from-drab-to-fab-a-dated-ranch-transformed.html

• Nicole Jackson
    10 days ago

@Diana ~ WOW! What a stunning ranch makeover!

• PRO
    10 days ago

Isn't it--I want to live there!!!

Sponsored
J.Holderby - Renovations
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Franklin County's Leading General Contractors - 2X Best of Houzz!