Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mirtascherff

should the box spring be lower or higher

mirtascherff
11 years ago
I am trying to decide if the box spring should be 9" high or the lower one, is there a design rule for this?
918 · More Info

Comments (3)

• Emily H
    11 years ago
    Great question. Higher beds might lend themselves more to particular styles.

When I think of a platform bed, I think of a lower profile, for instance. A more traditional bed I like to be higher.

What kind of bed are you wondering about? One like in the photo?
  • feeny
    11 years ago
    last modified: 11 years ago
    I agree. Platform beds are usually lower than standard beds with box springs, which is one reason I like them. I may be wrong, but I don't think the bed in your photo has a box spring. It looks like a platform base.
  • PRO
    Carolyn Albert-Kincl, ASID
    11 years ago
    Platform beds are not usually meant to have box springs. That is because box springs would require the use of either a dust skirt or a fitted box spring covering. Obviously a dust skirt would not work with a platform bed.

Please notice how short the night stands are in the above picture. That's fine for a low platform bed. So if you have night stands that are 30" high, they're going to look crazy with a platform bed and drive you crazy trying to reach up to them to turn off the alarm.
Sponsored
EK Interior Design
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars5 Reviews
TIMELESS INTERIOR DESIGN FOR ENDLESS MEMORIES