Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tammylinde

1960's ranch facade needs updating.

tammylinde
11 years ago
We bought this house two years ago and have steadily been working on updating. Front landscaping is almost done, but we have no idea what to do with the facade - so we keep avoiding it.

It is an L-shaped ranch with a non-structural wall across the inset part. This wall forms a front patio that used to be covered with beams. The original style was pueblo with big arches and stucco but since it was falling down, we removed the stucco and arches and repaired the wall. We put in block along the bottom of the wall to form "windows."

It is my hope to turn it into a more northern traditional style home since that is what I grew up with in NJ. I like the idea of fake "stacked stone" on the right side going all the way up to the triangular peak. My husband wants to put in "eyebrow arches" along the non-structural wall and re-do that wall in stucco. Since the remainder of the house is stucco, it makes sense to continue it. We are also planning on taking out the hardie board (the dark brown color behind the non-structural wall and doing that over in stucco. Plus we think we should put stucco bands around the windows and doors of the inset portion of the house.

Would that look like too much of a mish-mosh? I have no vision so this is just driving me crazy! Any ideas (except turning it back into pueblo style) would be appreciated!

Comments (22)

• Woberer Oberer
    11 years ago
    You might want to research mid century modern homes you might get some good ideas!!!
  • PRO
    Mint Design
    11 years ago
    You need to consider the roof for this porch. It will need to drain.
  • tammylinde
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    Hi MintDesign - we realized in todays rain storm that the knee wall we put in is going to be a problem. We are going to have to punch holes in it so it will drain. We are also plan to put in pavers and slant them away from the house so the water will drain. But we can't do this until we stone/stucco and paint the house.

We have decided not to roof in the patio since we think the beams that were there previously were too low. .I envision some sort of potted trees and fountain in here in the future. We don't really use the front entrance - I just don't want it to be so homely!
  • tammylinde
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    Hi Michelle 1965- Yes! Definitely a diamond in the rough. We fell in love with the property (situated amongst horse farms and near a lake) in a great neighborhood with newer homes.

Now to figure out how to make our home look as nice as our neighbors, We did think of putting the pergola back, but since it was only 7 feet high, we felt it would feel too cramped.

We are going to stucco where the red boards are and re-stucco the block wall. My problem is what shape for the arches and whether we should put faux stacked stone on the right part of the house. Being at the end of our budget, I need this to come out right the first time..

Here is a picture of what it looked like last year before we landscaped. it has already come a long way!
  • marmail
    11 years ago
    You could add shutters (many styles available) to all windows and maybe a few window boxes. On the right side, you could place a flat trellis in the middle of the two windows and grow climbing roses, clematis, etc. Change the front door and paint shutters and doors, etc. in your trim color which appears to be dark brown.
  • michele1965
    11 years ago
    last modified: 11 years ago
    You could continue on by demoing the block wall .... I found a pic to show you. BTW, I was born and raised in the NE, I know what you are talking about.
  • michele1965
    11 years ago
    The pergola can be bumped up. I think 7 1/2 feet should make it feel spacious enough.
  • furthermore
    11 years ago
    Please reconsider a roof over the porch. It could be metal raised above the stuccoed arched wall with a metal square tubing structure. It could appear to almost float over the porch. At the same pitch as your roof (4/12 ?) it would not attach to your roof at all but be supported by a couple of slim metal columns and a beam crossing the top of the columns. Covered in copper colored metal would definately look traditional. This is important if the front of the house is exposed to much sun. A roof here would keep your house cooler in hot weather by far. Please find a GOOD metal construction person in your area.
  • tammylinde
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    I love the idea of putting back a pergola. The porch really seems to need something over it, but my husband is not convinced. Now that I see that the wall support closest the house could be freestanding, he may change his mind. He has been adamant that there would be no roof penetration (due to water concerns) and to get the height necessary it would have to be roof height. The previous pergola was attached to top of the wall - just too low to make the porch useable.

Thank you furthermore for letting me know that this could be freestanding and thank you michele 1965 for the picture of the white aluminum pergola. In my head I was thinking we would need to put wood up, but it was so costly. I am going to take furthermore's advice and see if I can find a metal contractor here in Orlando that can give me a quote on this to see if it is in the budget. I fi skip my idea of stacked stone I could save money and just have the stucco repaired and painted on the rest of the house.
  • tammylinde
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    Drat, I was all set to call a metal contractor when my husband (always practical and often right) explained to me why the freestanding post would not work. We have a 2' cantilevered overhang across the front of our house and the front door is at the far right corner. A post would have to be right in the middle of the door (2' out) in order to support the structure. Even if it was not at the very end by the door, it would still have to be sitting 2' away from the edge of the house, which would be most unattractive.
  • furthermore
    11 years ago
    The posts do not have to be at the edge of the metal roof. The beam that goes across the top of the posts can extend past the posts. Keep the communication going.
  • tammylinde
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    We had the arches rebuilt and the house is now stuccoed. I am now stumped on paint colors. We are going to add shutters and eventually an arch over the entryway to the patio. Any suggestions on colors?
  • nevadan
    11 years ago
    That is very strange. Unless you do not care at all about re-sale value, please get a good architect to design this for you. You are wading into deeeep waters....
  • PRO
    Studio S Squared Architecture, Inc.
    11 years ago
    I have to agree with Nevadan....the "ruined" wall from before had a rustic quality that was quite charming and had a bit of mystery to it, almost as if the house was built on the footprint of a much older structure that only had one wall standing.

On the other hand, the improved wall looks well crafted and ties into the house better, but now raises the aesthetic question of what happened to the roof above and living space behind it. The new gravel path adds some variety to the front landscape, and the lawn looks much better, but the somewhat confusing entry sequence remains....

Now that the wall ties in much better to the house visually, I think it is essential to make this feel as "porch like" as possible. Michele's idea of a metal trellis is a good one, an alternate would be to put 2-3 posts alongside the main house eave, connect with a steel beam, then string cables across the top between the beam and freestanding wall.
  • Sheila Steelman
    11 years ago
    I agree it's architect time. Very disjointed looking and you have spent alot of time and energy already. A consult would help you suggest workable solutions to tie things together. No shutters on this type of house please.
  • PRO
    Studio S Squared Architecture, Inc.
    11 years ago
    here is a well-executed example of what I was thinking of...with some trailing vines hanging from the top, it could be quite nice. I also feel that the arch that aligns with your front door should be opened up and the new pathway redirected towards it.
  • simps214
    11 years ago
    I know next to nothing about ranches and even less about how to go about building a sound pergola or courtyard.

However, I can offer aesthetic advice. Have you considered a climbing flowering plant to soften the appearance of the wall? Not something overwhelming, maybe a clematis such as in this picture. If you want the "rustic" look another poster suggested you lost, try adding some brick tile VERY sparingly like in the attached picture since brick accents were a part of the original wall. Inglenook Tile makes them.

OH and this may not be welcome advice but I think a neutral paint color, maybe even a darker tone of the color family you had before, would work.

Good luck the yard is looking good!
  • Arlen Dau
    11 years ago
    Have you considered a Shade Tree Canopy? We have ours cantilevered over the edge of the roof to increase the height. You can leave the area open to the sky or quickly close for shade. The structure is minimal, yet strong. When covered, our deck is more like an outdoor room.
  • sacapuntaslapioz
    11 years ago
    I would add climbers with masses of flowers, add the trellis you are thinking about, and create a siting area. the traditional colors are the yellow or a faded red, but with your roof color I would explore a grey. also consider adding bright big planters with flowers and grasses. go for a updated mediterranean.
  • PRO
    Delap flexible stone LLC
    8 years ago

Here is some smart economical solution:

Flexible Stone for exterior with at least 50 years of service life. Can be applied on any wall!

• tmac1
    6 years ago

Arlen Dau mentioned something I hadn't heard of--what is a shade tree canopy?