Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
maryb56

Bathroom Dated Light Fixture, Mirror and Hardware suggestions needed!

maryb56
9 years ago
We have a guest bathroom that needs to be updated.....suggestions for lights, mirror, and hardware etc. would be greatly appreciated!

Comments (19)

• User
    9 years ago
    Paint the door white, or change it to a white door. Replace the mirror with a framed mirror. Upgrade the vanity.
  • rocketjcat
    9 years ago
    I guess it depends how much you budget for the update. The most dated aspects to me are the mirror, the faucet, and the round towel holder. Those could all be changed out inexpensively. After that, the cabinet color, then the counter. The lighting doesn't seem too dated, but maybe I just don't see it clearly.
  • maryb56
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    Thinking about painting the cabinet white or black?? Can't take it out...too much renovation with flooring...just removed cabinet over toilet! :-) lighting doesn't show BUT DATED...was planning on a framed mirror....I would like suggestions on color schemes??
  • PRO
    ASVInteriors
    9 years ago
    I like Darzy's idea - or you could paint white and have black accents? I would consider sticking your new mirror over your old (easier than removing the previous one)
    Lorraine Vale · More Info
    can do this by adding tiles, a picture frame or even shells!
  • ohrelax
    9 years ago
    Google MirrorMate for an inexpensive, quick & easy, mirror update.
  • mandy_moo_pants
    9 years ago
    I love the porthole window! Definitely a new vanity top with updated lighting. Like someone suggested, painting all the wood cabinetry a satin black would immediately bring your look into 2015.
  • maryb56
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    Here is a mirror I am thinking about using....my husband wants to keep the sink :-( so I am thinking this would jazz it up! Paint walls an apricot??? They are lemon now! :-(
  • PRO
    ASVInteriors
    9 years ago
    Nice mirror. But can you take a photo of that mirror against the wood? I am worried that the two colours will not do each other any favours. Just worth checking before proceeding down that avenue.
  • maryb56
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    ASInteriors....here it is.....:-)
  • PRO
    ASVInteriors
    9 years ago
    I actually think it looks good with your stone floor. Why not paint the walls that colour? Then ramp up on black accents to add some classic drama? Before doing ANYTHING please test on the walls first. (I have a slight worry about the colour of the mirror frame and the wood (I see a tinge of peach with the orange in the wood - but that could be lighting so please reassure yourself that those two colours are not clashing)
  • maryb56
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    ASV.....keep natural wood cabinets and paint walls? Black hardware? I'm not sure what you are saying....on color.....sorry about that...THANKS FOR YOUR INPUT...
  • PRO
    ASVInteriors
    9 years ago
    Sorry about that - popping in and out1. I understood you didn't want to paint the wood. So I am working on that basis. If you wish to paint the wood, then there is no worry about your mirror frame. My concern (and it is hard when not in situ and able to see the true colours) about the colours of the mirror and natural wood clashing. 2. If you were to keep the wood and you are sure the mirror frame works with it. Then paint the walls the stone colour of the walls. This will allow the mirror frame to be the focus point. Use the darkest colour in it (black?) as your accent colour. This does not necessarily mean changing your hardware but adding black towels, a black soapdish holder and maybe even a black framed print stuck on the side of the cabinet.3. If you were to paint the wood I would paint it black as it would work with the cream of your vanity top.Hope that helps
  • maryb56
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    ASV....THANKS!!!!
    DEBATING on painting cabinets!! ;-)......if I don't, what color hardware would you suggest? If I do paint, I am thinking nickel with black....lighting suggestions??? Actually, what I was more concerned about was the color of the sink and the colors in the mirror..... LOL I don't want to be conservative and put up a black framed mirror....:
  • PRO
    ASVInteriors
    9 years ago
    If you don't paint the cabinets you can also stay with the same colour hardware. If you do, nickel with black would work. Can't really tell colours of mirror vs sink - what is your concern?
  • maryb56
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    ASV...thank you so much.....I rechecked and the sink color will be fine.....the hardware now is OLD GOLD.....am going to change out light fixture, hardware, and faucet.....was debating on bronze with wood BUT shower is shiny silver :-( And not sure how that would blend??? Any words of wisdom?

PS do you sleep? Lol
  • PRO
    ASVInteriors
    9 years ago
    I thought it was brushed nickel!!! Okay so you're in for a change of hardware regardless. So which direction are you going to go: painted cabinets or non-painted cabinets?Don't worry too much about the shiny silver shower. Most of the time, it is hidden behind a shower curtain or door and one has to get a little OTT to match the shower as well.
  • maryb56
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    ASV....I am not an oak fan.....but, I am thinking leave it as is for now....paint walls.....hang mirror....see how I like it, go from there.....
  • maryb56
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    ASV...I NEED help picking the right light to go above my leopard print mirror......too many choices....
Sponsored
Kuhns Contracting, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars26 Reviews
Central Ohio's Trusted Home Remodeler Specializing in Kitchens & Baths