Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
gohiking26

Need Help with Master bedroom color(s)

gohiking26
11 years ago
We are trying to decide a paint scheme for our master bedroom. We have the Calligraphy Hotel Collection bedding from Macy's (photo inserted, but link is here http://www1.macys.com/shop/product/hotel-collection-bedding-calligraphy-collection?ID=623551&CategoryID=15276#fn=sp%3D1%26spc%3D81%26ruleId%3D65%26slotId%3D1). The bedroom is one large space with a second space- nook/ reading room off to the side (photo). Any color ideas are appreciated!

Comments (25)

• dp31
    11 years ago
    I would paint the Walls BM Stonington gray. You could even go darker to Coventry Gray if you have enough light (hard to tell from your picture). You could always highlight one of the walls in the nook with a darker color from the same paint strip. Or paint the walls BM Revere Pewter but use Kendall Charcoal behind the Hotel Collection bedding and drapes.
  • PRO
    C and K Curtains and More Options...
    11 years ago
    You can actually take a pillow case to the paint store and they can match the grey color and that would make the room look bigger and have less distraction as you have a lot going on with your spread. Or you could go the other way and choose a turquoise color or bright yellow and use accent pillows on your bead or paint a table to match. If you have a small room I would not go to crazy. Enjoy.
  • PRO
    C and K Curtains and More Options...
    11 years ago
    I forgot you have a cool tray which you can do a shade lighter or darker than your wall color and paint the center sky blue etc.
  • Susan Liu
    11 years ago
    you could try to match the tones of your bedding by choosing a different shade of gray. the same shade would make your bed blend into the walls to much and will end up just a gray blob. maybe add a pop of color with pastel colors such as lilac, periwinkle blue or mint green behind your bed/ headboard and match it with several small things like pillows or vases and such. also you could paint the middle tray of the ceiling for a pop of color. personally, i would replace the ceiling fan with a wooden one to deviate from the white/gray theme should you choose to do so. have fun!
  • zenhome
    11 years ago
    I like Dytecture's idea of keeping it simple with white and grey decor. Love your bedding!!
  • PRO
    Sage Lane Realty
    11 years ago
    And I like the mirror in Dytecture's inspiration photo to reflect light, especially if you go with a little darker grey on the walls.
  • PRO
    Vikrant Sharma Homez
    11 years ago
    Your bedding is Awesome ! I know for sure that you have Awesome taste , the colour suggestion by David is Going to go really well with this bedding , does the nook area have good light , if it does go for a darker shade there .
  • charleee
    11 years ago
    Your tray ceiling is amazing. If you're going for a monochromatic look, grey is your answer. Try to punch it up with a few colorful accessories to keep it interesting.
  • PRO
    State Wide Construction & Remodeling
    11 years ago
    You could use any earth tones such as grey, as well as Taupe colors. This will give you flexibility when choosing different bedding sets. Although the pictures are of a living room, it shows the color scheme that can be used.

For more ideas, and for a Free in home estimate for painting and other remodeling services in the Greater Los Angeles and surrounding communities, visit http://www.swhomeremodeling.com/gallery.htm
  • 15jacques
    11 years ago
    I liked the Idea @vikrantsharmahomez .
  • PRO
    jeannie1728
    11 years ago
    try some shimmering silver paint on the ceiling
  • lessismoore
    11 years ago
    Hi there - after seeing Vikrant's photo (and of course your bedding) I just got a some color harmonies stuck in my head. I loved how the grays looked with the salmon-coral color - it pops, but is also soft. Your bedding looks like it might be a slightly warmer gray? So, I'm thinking a cool gray for walls, your lighter and warmer bedding with some pops in coral (pillows, chair?)and some bits of mauve + lavender pillows or whatever strikes your fancy. Add in some "parchment" color too (curtains? chaise, end tables?) Then more accessories (drape finials?) in silvers, clear glass, mirrors surfaces too. Just thinking out loud :-)
  • PRO
    Susan Mills Design
    11 years ago
    What a great space you have! I can imagine something really exciting in this room such as these stripes, you seem as though you like graphic lines as you chose this bedding and the home has these elements as well. I would love to see the deepest colour on your ceiling then the next one the level below and then a bit lighter again the level below that. Or just choose two colours, whatever you are comfortable with.

You could choose one of these colours for the adjoining room. I would love to see it be the same as the ceiling in the deepest colour. This effect could also be attained in a bit simpler fashion by alternating one colour with matte and eggshell paint say in a silver or soft mauve.

Susan Mills
  • betsyindc
    11 years ago
    I would go with a blue that has a lot of gray in it like Colorado Gray or Nantucket Fog from Benjamin Moore. If you don't want to do all the walls in blue-gray, you could do just one behind the bed as an accent and then go gray with the rest of the walls and ceiling. I like Sherwin Williams HGTV Coastal Cool Collection's Sea Salt. You could have fun with two grays in the tray ceiling. Sea Salt and Comfort Gray would look great. Get a few samples and try them in the room. Lighting can make colors look far different on the walls than trying to visualize with a tiny chip. Good luck and have fun with your space.
  • PRO
    Leigh Newport Staged by Design®
    11 years ago
    last modified: 11 years ago
    I agree that a gray or taupe/gray wall would be lovely. I recently loved the use of color in the pillows and repeating it with the trays under the lamps, from Michelle Hinckley, here on Houzz. Not sure why the photo isn't showing up. If you search for "yellow tray", you will see her room.
    Good luck!

Eclectic Bedroom design by Other Metros Media And Blogs Michelle Hinckley
  • Karen
    11 years ago
    last modified: 11 years ago
    I agree on the gray tons but prefer the warm grey tons rather than cool blue undertones. Do a shade darker on the tray then incorporate in the room a pop of colour, either a green from plants, or yellows, warm red to give a third dimension of colour.
    I too am using grey in my bedroom and the lighting really affects the outcome. Purchase if possible the large swatches from BM if a colour you like is available and tape in ib various locations in your bedroom throughout the day.
  • betsyindc
    11 years ago
    One thing I discovered in looking at grays was that I preferred cooler tones of gray for the bathroom I am doing over. The beige/taupe undertones are definitely a matter of taste. Benjamin Moore Pewter Gray has nice sandy beige undertones and was a good neutral if you prefer warmer undertones.
  • Molly Hart
    11 years ago
    I noticed that your carpet has some gold undertones. I think grey walls are the perfect choice but you will have to choose carefully because of the flooring. I love the BM color suggestions. Get a few samples and try them out next to the carpet. Also, LOVE the bedding!
  • Nan
    11 years ago
    gray tones/ metallic (paint) accent on tray ceiling!! Lovely bed ensemble!
  • PRO
    Glen Houston's Painting
    11 years ago
    comfort gray from sherwin williams, its the perfect french, blue green !
  • antje121
    11 years ago
    Consider a soft, grey/lilac tone.
  • Leahann Poleto
    11 years ago
    I THINK THE ALL WHITE ROOM IS GORGEOUS! I'D SAY PUT ALL OF UR FURNITURE IN N ADD SOME SOFT HUES TO THE LINENS/CURTAINS AND SOME SOFT WATER COLOR PAINTINGS....AND WA-LA.....DONE!
  • gohiking26
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    Thanks for all the great input. We're taking Dytecture's idea and keeping it a simple white and grey scheme. The input from everyone has been priceless! Thanks a million.
  • Leahann Poleto
    11 years ago
    Good luck with everything....ur choice sounds great....post some pics when done...okay?;)...n thanks for replying to all to let us know which one works best!