Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mazefskydp

keep or resurface this fireplace surround in gutted midcentury raised ranch?

Diane Mazefsky
11 years ago
Will use ehanol insert in whatever the end result is.
mazefskydp's ideas · More Info

Comments (33)

• charleee
    11 years ago
    I can't tell what those things are that are sticking out of the brick - are they shelves? Shelves with wires for sound? Lights? They're hard to see. I'd say if you like the shelves that are attached, try to reface the brick with some faux painting; if you're ready to say goodby to the shelves, resurface.

If it weren't for the shelves I'd keep it the way it is, it looks good.
  • decoenthusiaste
    11 years ago
    Resurface
  • PRO
    Joseph I. Mycyk Architects, Inc.
    11 years ago
    Personally, I like the brick fireplace wall. The shelves look to be stone, correct?

It will take you a while to find the correct items (size, proportions, color) to place on the shelves to maintain a nice rhythm and comfortable look.

f you completely remove the shelves I imagine you would find it hard to match the brick.

You could have the stone shelves cut. I doubt they could be cut flush, but a slight projection may be an interesting look also.

If this was my fireplace, I'd keep the shelves, find the correct items to place on the shelves, and make sure the lighting compliments the facade.
  • lefty47
    11 years ago
    HI -- Get a good brick layer in - he could take those shelves off and replacement bricks can be stolen from the bottom under the hearth, and then the bottom area can then be covered with a tile that will go with the hearth.
  • nanlu
    11 years ago
    I love the shape and color of the bricks. Are those rocks on the upper shelves? I agree with Joseph to find items that look pleasing to place on the shelves. Is that a mesh fireplace screen? I would remove it or replace with glass doors if you can use them with an ethanol insert for a "cleaner" look.
  • Diane Mazefsky
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    Thank you,everyone. Yes, they are stone. Because it is gutted, there are piles of stainless steel tiles sitting on them, removed from the kitchen to re-use. There's nowhere to set anything!!! I am using a lot of gray, so the brick color and style is nice with the midcentury/contemporary style that I am using.
    I was thinking that the right colored glass objects might work with the shelves. They were for decorative purposes, i believe. i have seen that before in some midcentury spaces-and I have gone back and forth- is it cool midcentury or just awkward?
    I love this site and really appreciate the feedback. Houzz offers such a fun and helpful process!
  • Diane Mazefsky
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    Yes, I will remove the fireplace screen- and another dilemma- build something to cover the weird brick behind the opening that will build in the ethanol insert.
  • Maria Gudovich
    11 years ago
    From our point of view, it needs to be resurfaced.

With some material that is color and texture friendly to future interior elements of the room. Also, all of those shelves, including the bottom one, should be taken out. Those shelves are not quite mid-century, unfortunately, and having a nice surface that is not interrupted with shelves and decorative objects would help to create vertical element in the room that will give an impression of even higher ceiling.

If you really feel that you would need to add some additional decorative elements to the fireplace, perhaps, instead of putting glass elements on those shelves, you can have a mirror in a pretty frame, or some artwork, if the surface is flat ( shelves were removed ). Thank you.
  • PRO
    Thoth Calvert design
    11 years ago
    last modified: 11 years ago
    Eliminate the nic nac shelves ... tear out the hearth section (it will come out easy) ... ditch the
    FP insert ... re-surface with tile or stone ... place tiles (stone) in the floor where the hearth was (flush with hardwood) ... use a good tile contractor for corner cuts, trim, and making sure tiles are perfectly cut and spaced (critical). Don't interrupt the vertical form of the FP with anything (no shelves, mantel, mirror, or art ... nothing) ... paint the interior of the FP with heat proof black. Maybe consider the newer more modern (flame in rocks) type inserts or some really cool unusual or vintage andirons. Good Luck & enjoy your new FP. Thoth Calvert design.
  • houssaon
    11 years ago
    I like the authentic mid-century stone work. I would keep it as is.
  • PRO
    Thoth Calvert design
    11 years ago
    This FP is in good condition and it is tempting to keep ... but the hearth and nic nac shelves are not really redeeming features ... they will hold back the overall design. Mid-Century and Classic Modern are very popular ... so fortunately ... there are currently a lot of new tile and stone cuts, designs ... and many good choices which will respect the Mid-Century style of the house ... but at the same time allow the overall design to have both an authentic vintage and timeless modern look. Sometimes, particularly in permanent fixtures ... we have to eliminate the less disirable details ... as well as the functional obsolescence ... in order to fully respect and appreciate good classic design.
  • PRO
    PaintColorHelp.com Dallas
    11 years ago
    I wouldn't touch it. Five years from now, I suspect you'll wonder why you ever considered getting rid of the original brick. Especially if you are going to put mid-century decor in here anyway.

Tastes and fads will change, but if this home is of the 60s, then a 60s fireplace will always feel "right" for it.

If I am wrong and you do end up wanting to change it, you can always do that later. But for the present, I would just address the firebox and insert issues, and leave the other material alone. A mixture of 60s colored glass pieces or brutalist sculptures might be fun on those rock shelves.
  • PRO
    Thoth Calvert design
    11 years ago
    Of course ... this is the choice of the homeowner ... interior design is much more about personal taste ... than right or wrong ... this FP already looks pretty good ... you could leave it as is ... or go to a lot of trouble and expense just to have a slightly altered boring FP ... or since you are doing all the work and spending money ... many would prefer to have a final result that will significantly enhance the room and home ... a much more dramatic Mid-Century inspired wow factor ... which still fully respects good Mid-Century design.
  • aletabadowski
    11 years ago
    Recess lighting in the ceiling directly above the fireplace so it shines down the brick - it will make it look taller. . Get rid of the shelves and change the color of the mortar - maybe black and then have a selection of black and white pics in either metal or black frames or clear frameless glass so you can see the brickwork behind. Have two pieces of sculpture - tall - either side of the fire in a contrasting color to match you room or in white.
  • Diane Mazefsky
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    tremendously helpful discussion!!!! I appreciate all your time and comments. I am taking it all in and went over to the house this evening to stare at it awhile:) I removed the grate and looked at the hearth
    to think about what could be done with it. A work in progress and all these ideas are great to work with.
  • Diane Mazefsky
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    The narrow shelves don't look as bad as in the photo-there are objects sitting on them. But they have bothered me from the beginning. Another idea-what about filling in the hearth with a simple tile to match the grout- and fitting the very low ethanol burner in the bottom-
  • nancyburtchell
    11 years ago
    get rid of the inset and update it
  • larryhinkle
    11 years ago
    Love the brick... the shelve things have to go which may make the brick look damaged and horrible. Dont need fussy shelves or mantles covered in knick knacks.
  • Kermit Kelly
    11 years ago
    We covered ours, it was ugly brick, 50's ranch.
  • mpoulsom
    11 years ago
    I love the fireplace as is! Don't touch it!! (except the screen of course) BEAUTIFUL!
  • design4vikki
    11 years ago
    Love the fireplace as is--even appreciate the stone shelves. It's true to the provenance of the house. If it's a gas fireplace, you can install a horizontal gas line, instead of ceramic logs, with holes drilled in intervals. Cover the firebox floor with fireplace glass -- there so many colors to choose from-- and then watch the flames flicker up through the glass. I have done this with both of my fireplaces.
  • Diane Mazefsky
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    Bookwench-I love this idea. I may write to get more detail from you! TY!
    Yes, it's gas. Ready to go for some kind of insert. Do you have any photos so i can see how to do it? TY again. By the way- I mean change the insert area-not hearth. i don't know the right terms.
  • PRO
    Beautiful Space Co
    11 years ago
    Hi mazefskydp, the fireplace imho is perfect mid-century modern and it would be a shame to resurface it. The only thing I don't like about the shelves is their locations, as they limit what you can do with the space. If you keep them I'd suggest a set of dark, *simple*, monochromatic accents, as they'd contrast nicely with the stone. The shelves can be removed - they would be chipped back and ground flush with the surface, a good mason can take care of this for you. (It won't be perfect, but would blend nicely) If you choose this options then I'd use a dramatic starburst mirror as your center piece for the wall. I would also add pin spots placed very close to the wall so they highlight the gorgeous texture of the wall at night.

Laurelhurst House · More Info

As for the firebox, I'd remove the screen completely, paint the interior matt black with "firebox paint", and use some form of fireglass as bookwench suggested (great idea btw)

The last fireglass project we did included a flat metal tray, which when filled looks cleaner than just the glass by itself in the firebox. Also, I'd suggest staying with a subtle color, in the clear or gray range, so it blends nicely when its off or on. I would also use beads or balls (laid flat, as they have a very MCM look to them) instead of typical fireglass which looks a tad too modern for your home Here are two nice examples:

Steve

Nehalem · More Info

Falling Cliff · More Info
  • PRO
    Beautiful Space Co
    11 years ago
    Ps - a good fireplace store should have samples of working fireglass and can arrange the whole installation for you
    Steve
  • design4vikki
    11 years ago
    mazefskydp: Our plumber installed the gas pipes. The fireplace store had a beautiful display with a custom stainless steel firebox – quite expensive though. We just kept the original brick inside, though, but now am considering painting it black as recommended by some of these posts. I ordered the metallic "onyx" fireglass online at a 35% savings over the store. i call the style of my house is mid-"zen"tury modern. Only problem is preventing kitty from using it as a litterbox (which he did once).
  • Diane Mazefsky
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    Thank you!!! yes, that's what i'm going for, too, Bookwench- love the term! I will be able to use these suggestions- it solves the dilemma!!
  • charleee
    11 years ago
    bookwench - I'd love to learn more about the horizontal gas line and the fireglass! We have a gas fp we've never used, it has no logs or anything just an ugly black box. Is running the gas line a DIY or does it require a plumber? Is there somewhere on line I can go to get more info?
  • PRO
    Beautiful Space Co
    11 years ago
    Hi Bobbi P - In most states a gas certified plumber has to do this type of work, best to check with your local building dept. If you're able to do this work yourself however, here's one site that offers DIY kits. http://www.diamondfireglass.com/kit.html. Make sure you test the gas install before you install the fireglass, use a water/soap solution for that to spray each connection. If you see bubbles you have a leak.

Steve
  • design4vikki
    11 years ago
    Bobbi P: Although we didn't use this kit (our plumber converted our fireplaces as part of a larger family room/kitchen gut job), you can check out: http://www.fireonglass.com/fireplace-glass-kits/ This kit looks like it really distributes the flames well around the firebox. This site is where I purchased the fireglass for our 3 fireplaces. The fireglass is my modern take on the Zen pebble garden.
  • elcieg
    11 years ago
    michigammemom has shown you a great picture of a fireplace with the shelves. Notice how lighting transforms it into something special.
  • User
    11 years ago
    If You love it keep it!. If not, change the fireplace while the rest of the remodel is going on. There are so many great fireplaces.
  • minervasolutions
    9 years ago
    I'd keep it. It seems appropriate for the style of the house. See the photo of a similar one someone posted here in the comments. That looks great! You can always change it later, but you can never get it back.