Solid wood vs MDF interior doors?
Linda Graham Interior Design
What is your opinion? We are building a Charleston style home...Also wonder what style for interior doors...4 panel or ??? The home will be fairly casual. ie: 8" horizontal panelling (painted white) in most rooms, 10' ceilings on both floors, 8' doors throughout, large porches, 3/4 french doors, lanterns, courtyard,etc.

I prefer to use "real" materials when possible. Should I be concerned w wood doors warping? Home will be built in Nashville.

Anyone have a favorite door manufacturer?

Cost is a factor but do not want to skimp on important design elements.

Thanks for any advice.
Barbara
I live near Atlanta (hot & humid). After 14 years we have no problem with our solid wood Wood Harbor doors. I think it is because they are made with different layers with poplar being the top veneer. If they were solid pine or alder they would be more susceptible to warping.
   August 27, 2012 at 6:22PM
Supa Doors
Rarely do you see solid wood doors anymore, so the questions becomes if you are painting or staining your doors. If you are staining then a veneered door is your ultimate choice with an engineered particle core like Barbara is mentioning. If you are painting, then here are some reasons why MDF is used in residences and hotels across the nation. 1) Finishes fantastically - since there is no "grain" to MDF, you get a extremely smooth finish. 2) Sound control - since MDF is quite dense, you get a greater sound barrier between rooms, 3) Environmentally sound - MDF is typically pre-consumer recycled material. 4) Extended warranty - in our case we warranty the doors for life, a rarity for real wood doors.

By the way - excellent choice to go with an 8 ft tall door, it'll make such a difference over the 6'8" and 7'0" tall that most people opt for. The 4 panel look would work well in your vision, and take a look at using flat panels and a "shaker" profile vs raised panels and an ogee sticking. Also you'll end up choosing between 1-3/8" and 1-3/4" thick doors - I'd opt for the thicker door since you are doing the 8'0 tall doors.

Best of luck!, and I'm sure you'll make the best choice. Kudos for thinking about this BEFORE the doors are installed :-)
   August 27, 2012 at 7:31PM
Something Like Subway Tile But Not
I just bought a gorgeous 1952 Wedgewood stove (see...
Pool Planning - Help Please!
I am looking into the possibility of an in-ground swimming...
Trying to update my '60s tri-plex. Any Exterior Ideas??
Hi, what would you do with the exterior of this dated...
Bathroom sconces suggestion
The bathroom is new and needs curtains and lighting....
Need help with flooring
I have a small home with an open floor plan. The exterior...