Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
central84

I would like to remove my tub and just make one big shower.

central84
11 years ago
I have garden tub and shower stall side by side, I would like to remove the garden tub and extend the shower to that space. Possibly installing either a wall with ceramic tile or glass. Is this a major project? Or is it a DIY'er?
Lot 317 - Lake Arrowhead, GA · More Info

Comments (12)

• PRO
    The Renner Companies
    11 years ago
    It could be a weekend warrior type of project but you really need to know what you are doing to prevent leaks as the entire shower has to be demolished and a new liner pan installed and the installation of it and the relocation of the plumbing and additional fixtures might be something you do not want to take on.
  • PRO
    Dytecture
    11 years ago
    It could be done especially if you are not moving any plumbing in the shower. Do you have experience with similar situation? it's extra tricky for shower areas that will get wet regularly.
  • central84
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    The shower fixtures and drains will stay where they are, and I intend to tile all around the window and walls. Is there a particular type of waterproofing I need for the ceramic tile?
  • PRO
    Beautiful Space Co
    11 years ago
    Hi Central84, as with any tile, the waterproofing is installed below the tile and would ideally be a sheet membrane. We use products by Schluter and Noble. If youre using backerboard then you should also add a liquid membrane such as those by Laticrete or Redguard. Make sure your pan liner is sloped to the drain and continues over the curb and up the walls 12". The wall waterproofing should be lapped shingle style over the liner at the walls. The window is tricky if it stays in place, you need to lap the window flashing with the shower flashing, we use Duponts flexwrap for this. Water test your waterproofing before you tile, to ensure its working correctly. Youll need to replace the current drain with an FHA style made for the pan liner.

Hope this helps,
    Steve
  • PRO
    Modaa Construction
    10 years ago
    @beautifulremodel.com love the use of limited space and how you maximized the shower seat to play a dual role.
  • PRO
    Beautiful Space Co
    10 years ago
    Thank you Modaa!
  • Heather Jones
    9 years ago

BeautifulRemodel.com if you don't mind me asking...what was the ballpark figure for this remodel? This is very similar to our set up and we're hoping to make a change soon.

• PRO
    Beautiful Space Co
    9 years ago

Hi Heather, thanks for the question. This project cost around $55k-$60k to complete in 2009. As I'm sure you're aware though, there are many factors that can change the price of an equivalent project for you. Its best to work with a great design-build company, or a designer who's very familiar with construction techniques and pricing. They can get the most out of your budget and make the best recommendations for fixtures and finishes etc.

- Steve

• aet0283
    8 years ago
    Anymore recommendations about this type of project? Design? Price? My bathroom is the first picture and I'm looking to remove the tub and expand the shower a little. I like the wall idea in the first picture. Would that work in this space?
  • aet0283
    8 years ago
    I mean the 2nd picture I like the wall
  • njmillet06
    6 years ago

We just did this. It turned out awesome. Added a accent chest for towels.