Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
cocinadecheca

I want to put marble in my kitchen, I have two boys, does marble gets damage easily?

cocinadecheca
11 years ago
San Jose Res 2 · More Info

Comments (38)

• PRO
    Fiorella Design, LLC
    11 years ago
    yes, it's a soft stone. it stains easily as well. I'd go with a quartz like Caesarstone.
  • PRO
    Stamford marble and tile
    11 years ago
    You have to be vigilant about sealing up front many coats until the stone will not absorb any more sealer. You also have to reseal every year or so depending on usage.
  • Kivi
    11 years ago
    You have to love the idea of "patina" because keeping it perfect like new is not realistic.
  • Danilo Ignacio
    9 years ago
    nice work
  • allgranite
    9 years ago
    watch this video, Lisa Eisen talks about Marble vs Granite.

• Diana Franklin
    9 years ago
    Marble is porous & will stain & etch. Any acids will damage the tops. ( lemon, lime, tomato sauce, coffee, oj, coke etc ) If marble to be used in Kitchen use HONED... its forgiving to the etching. Sealers have come a long way in "helping" with the staining. If you like the look of marble but not the maint. look into a quartzite called SUPER WHITE. umistone.com carries it.
  • beanmurphy
    9 years ago
    I have it in my kitchen, and have two toddlers. Unfortunately it scratches fairly easily, but I haven't had a problem with stains, as long as you wipe up immediately. Watch out for oils- they will sink in quickly.
  • greend24
    8 years ago

Are you talking about marble or Quartzite? I am thinking of quartzite superwhite for my kitchen. Please let me kow as soon as possible. D.G/

• Noreen Browne
    8 years ago

I love Super White too....but have heard it's no better than carrara marble (which I love more!). Love for some real input...anyone have these counter tops in their kitchen?

• greend24
    8 years ago

I have elected to put Quartz in my kitchen. Its LG stone looks like marble, but it is more durable. Quartzite may be more beautiful. But this is very good looking. DG

• Noreen Browne
    8 years ago

Thank you!

• sidbaby
    8 years ago

bakar design

• Amanda Cashdollar
    8 years ago

Dekton has a very similar pattern like this countertop in the image, the color is called Aura. Dekton is a very durable material that is non-porous, and can withstand the abuse of a blowtorch!

• PRO
    Tran Triet
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

wow

• Mary Burke Nadeau
    7 years ago

I have Rococo Quartz in my kitchen. Similar to this look. LOVE it! And it's durable.

• smittycdm
    7 years ago
    I agree, skip the marble. I have honed marble in my own home in all the bathrooms including the powder (tub surround, counter, etc). I wouldn't do it again, especially my vanity. The house we're renting in AZ supposedly has polished marble in the kitchen. It's stone of some kind, cuz it chips. OMG! That counter shows every water ring, etc, & it's just two of us. I use my stone installer's stone cleaner & stone polish. Nothing helps. Today's composites are 'almost' as good looking as the real thing. Given you have kids (or my husband, he spilled Crazy Glue on the counter yesterday & tried to use Goof-off...shudder) I think I'd go w/ Silestone, or whatever you call it. Best of luck, I've got my fingers crossed.
  • smittycdm
    7 years ago
    @Diana Franklin thank you for reminding me. We have not "redone" the whole process (cleaning, sealing, etc.) on our Carrara 2X Gold and it is very beautiful. My vanity is not as bad as I remembered. ;-) Just have to be careful with the lotions, potions, hairsprays, etc. Those acids in the face creams are similar to lemon juice.
  • PRO
    Stephanie McDowell - Designer, Kenwood Kitchens
    7 years ago

Dekton is a good product, but to get the color & pattern on the edges, the fabricator must miter all the edges (the color is not through the slab). Other quartz brands that carry marble looks are Cambria, Silestone, and Caesarstone. A new brand that I just learned about is called Spectrum Quartz and (in my opinion) they have the most realistic looking marble look!

• PRO
    Cambria
    7 years ago

Hello Stephanie
    Macari

Thank you for recommending our products. We love the classic and timeless
    appeal of marble. However, Houzz user Kivi has a point – you have to love the
    look of a natural patina.

For those who would prefer a marble look without the hassle of re-sealing and
    whose lifestyle does not allow for such vigilance when it comes to care and
    maintenance, many of the designs in our Marble Collection are a beautiful
    choice. Cambria is nonporous, meaning it is maintenance free. Unlike granite or
    marble, it does not require additional sealing and is resistant to staining,
    making it perfect for a variety of applications in the home including
    bathrooms and kitchen countertops where it is more likely to come into contact with food and personal care products.

Quartz is also one of the hardest minerals on earth, making our countertops more resistant to surface damage due to the high quartz content of our designs (93%) which results in superior strength and durability.

For Cambria Quartz options with a marble look, we would recommend our any of
    our Marble Collection options -- Ella, Torquay, Brittanicca, and Weybourne are
    all great options. Regardless of what material you choose, we wish you the best
    with your new kitchen design.

• kjkirkpatrick
    7 years ago

Too bad some of these options are so local. Living in STL and building in Maine. Spectrum Quartz in NJ. Hard to look at slabs.

• Debbie Kuhl
    7 years ago

Can you tell me the type of countertop used in this photo? Is it one of the Cambria marble collection?

• Debbie Kuhl
    7 years ago

Is it marble?

• Noreen Browne
    7 years ago

We have been living in our newly built house for 3 months now. We love the way marble looks but ultimately aren't willing to live with patina. There are lots of ways to make my house look warm, lived in and welcoming without marks on my countertops! So we put in Quartzite Super White which is the very closest thing to marble that we could find. Gorgeous! They come in more white versions or more gray versions. The maintenance is quite low thus far and we have 2 kids that live on them like they are granite. No rings or patina.... I love these and think the kitchen is more livable. Good luck!

• PRO
    Lustro Italiano
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

As others have mentioned, there are some things to consider if you are thinking of going with marble. However, it is a very elegant stone. And with a little care and maintenance, it can be a feature that makes your kitchen uniquely stand out.

• PRO
    Pike Properties
    6 years ago

Love the tile going up the wall!

• smittycdm
    5 years ago
    A friend told me honed marble (if you must have) is more ‘forgiving’ than polished, fyi.
  • PRO
    5 years ago

@smittycdm almost... honed marble may not etch as easily (when the finish kind of wears away if it comes in contact with acidic things. However it is easier to stain. Versus a polished which is a bit more forgiving in the staining department (but not resistant to staining at all) but it is more easily etched

• LilliCraig
    5 years ago
    I've had a gray Quartz for almost 6 years now and it was the best decision we made in our redo. The marble style is gorgeous now but it wasn't then. I did, however, get a large marble stone for rolling out pie crust and put it on an antique cart.
    So. . . do you really want to be the counter police and worry if olive oil was completely cleaned up or have to double check every time someone offers to help you in the kitchen. Life should be lived and enjoyed Check out the quartz before you buy.
  • AnneLise Staal
    5 years ago

What is the tile on the wall? it's beautiful

• Elaine A
    5 years ago

I'm also interested in the backsplash tile. What is it?

• Joy Butler
    5 years ago

I have the same question about marble. I think it looks so nice. I would love to put it in my home knowing that it will be well taken care of. https://cgllc.org/

• Ellen Henderson
    3 years ago

What is your honest opinion of honed black countertops in a kitchen?

• Ellen Henderson
    3 years ago

Please answer!😊

• PRO
    3 years ago

@Ellen Henderson Honed marble is not as prone to etching as polished marble is, but can be more susceptible to staining as it doesn't have that polished finish. However, there are some marble companies now that are treating their marbles, check out Azerocare by Antolini

• Ellen Henderson
    3 years ago

Thank U